[Q] How-to? Make a CM11 Wi-Fi only ROM

Search This thread

shelgame

Dec 8, 2010
I searched, but couldn't find tips for what needs to be removed from a CM11 build to make a phone WiFi-only.

I have an old HTC Vivid I want to use as a datalogging device in my race car. It doesn't have a SIM and will never be on a 3G/4G network again. I do, however, want to be able to turn-on the WiFi hotspot feature so that I can transfer files to/from the phone using my laptop without having to plug it in; or have a WiFi router present.

I tried JellyBelly's script, but I keep getting a phone.apk FC. If I turn on airplane mode, the FC's stop. So, then I turned on WiFi. But, with WiFi turned on in airplane mode, the hotspot feature is grayed out.

So, I'd like to make a custom CM11 build for WiFi only. Is it possible? Any pointers to a how-to thread?

I suspect that maybe the Hotspot feature only works with a cellular network connection. I hope not...

cmerlyn

Aug 17, 2011
Rohnert Park
I searched, but couldn't find tips for what needs to be removed from a CM11 build to make a phone WiFi-only.

I have an old HTC Vivid I want to use as a datalogging device in my race car. It doesn't have a SIM and will never be on a 3G/4G network again. I do, however, want to be able to turn-on the WiFi hotspot feature so that I can transfer files to/from the phone using my laptop without having to plug it in; or have a WiFi router present.

I tried JellyBelly's script, but I keep getting a phone.apk FC. If I turn on airplane mode, the FC's stop. So, then I turned on WiFi. But, with WiFi turned on in airplane mode, the hotspot feature is grayed out.

So, I'd like to make a custom CM11 build for WiFi only. Is it possible? Any pointers to a how-to thread?

I suspect that maybe the Hotspot feature only works with a cellular network connection. I hope not...

To make it WiFi only, go to Settings and turn off the data and turn on WiFi
To connect your phone and computer, the best way I have found is WiFi File Explorer Pro. It is not free, but the free version limits the transfers.
This will work on any smartphone.

shelgame

Dec 8, 2010
To make it WiFi only, go to Settings and turn off the data and turn on WiFi
To connect your phone and computer, the best way I have found is WiFi File Explorer Pro. It is not free, but the free version limits the transfers.
This will work on any smartphone.

That's actually what I'm using. But, that only works if there's an existing WiFi network to connect to. I also want the phone to host a WiFi hotspot/network.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk