What stylus to buy?

Search This thread

Pankaja13

Sep 14, 2011
Couple of things that might help: :)

1) The "$1 for three" cheap rubber tipped styluses from eBay, actually work surprisingly will. I got them for my LG Optimus Black on which they were worse than useless,but on the nexus, it's quite usable.
2) The cheap above mentioned styli (not sure about plural :p ) have pretty good pressure sensitivity. I tested this on Photoshop touch only and the thickness of the stroke changes according to pressure. It's probably because more pressure increases the size of the point of contact.
3) The main problem if friction and it requires quite a lot of effort to move it across the screen...
Useless for writing but good for lasso-ing in Photoshop :)

Hope this help :)

I recommend the caseen Vibe L.
I can update you on its performance once it's delivered, if anyone's interested :)

Last edited:

tpayne1

Oct 6, 2007
Couple of things that might help: :)

1) The "$1 for three" cheap rubber tipped styluses from eBay, actually work surprisingly will. I got them for my LG Optimus Black on which they were worse than useless,but on the nexus, it's quite usable.
2) The cheap above mentioned styli (not sure about plural :p ) have pretty good pressure sensitivity. I tested this on Photoshop touch only and the thickness of the stroke changes according to pressure. It's probably because more pressure increases the size of the point of contact.
3) The main problem if friction and it requires quite a lot of effort to move it across the screen...
Useless for writing but good for lasso-ing in Photoshop :)

Hope this help :)

I recommend the caseen Vibe L.
I can update you on its performance once it's delivered, if anyone's interested :)

I love to see stylus that I have. It's capacities the thread. Great glide.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Izeltokatl

Hand stylus is amazing. 4mm tip gives great accuracy. Also you can get 6 replacement tips for $10.

I just bought this and waiting for it to arrive. 4mm is a great size tip. I also bought the Samsung c-pen. It has a 3mm tip which is even more accurate, but several people say it's too small and the N10 has difficulty registering it. I guess I'll find within a few days.

Sent from my Rezound.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

I'm getting the gosmart , it has the thinnest most Accurate tip and its got a spring on the front that makes it pressure sensatibe in a way

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

What size tip is it? 2mm, 3mm or 4mm? I think anything under 4mm is to small to register on tablets, at least that's what most reviewers are saying.

Sent from my Rezound.

Last edited:

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010
I just bought this and waiting for it to arrive. 4mm is a great size tip. I also bought the Samsung c-pen. It has a 3mm tip which is even more accurate, but several people say it's too small and the N10 has difficulty registering it. I guess I'll find within a few days.

Sent from my Rezound.

I think 4mm is perfect. I have no problems using the Hand Stylus on my N10. It doesn't take much pressure at all, and it feels very natural in-hand.

Reactions: Izeltokatl

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010
Samsung sold a stylus as an accessory for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. It works well with the Tab 10.1 and Nexus 10. It is only a replacement for your finger ... nothing like the S-pen on my Samsung Galaxy Note II. If you use the stylus, it will keep your screen clean.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab-accessories/ET-S100CBEGSTA

It looks like the tip is pretty wide on that, but it doesn't specifically say the width on the page (at least not that I could find anyway).

chem_mr

Dec 1, 2012
I just installed the Steinheil Ultra Crystal on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to see if it would be a suitable option to prevent scratches from the Jot Pro stylus. Online many users report a slight increase in resistance with the Steinheil protector, and because the original glass screen was too slippery for the Jot Pro I thought it would be just about perfect.

Originally, it seemed that the screen resistance was much greater than desirable for the Jot Pro stylus. As I used the tablet over the afternoon, the resistance decreased, presumably because of skin oils. Anyway, the Jot Pro stylus seems to work quite nicely on the Steinheil Ultra Crystal after it has been used with fingers for awhile.

My biggest beef is 7-Notes. It gets a lot of praise, but is highly inaccurate at times, and guesses my writing incorrectly.

The Jot Pro does seem to require a lot of downwards force to work consistently. The heat shrink idea is working well, though. The screen protector will protect the glass from permenant scratches. I expect to have to replace the protector periodically. Unfortunately, at 22 each, that can get expensive depending on how frequently I'll wish to change the screen protector.

Bottom line: if the resistance seems a little high, give it some time. Natural skin oils should reduce the resistance to an acceptable level.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

UCSB

Mar 14, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
It looks like the tip is pretty wide on that, but it doesn't specifically say the width on the page (at least not that I could find anyway).

Yes, the tip is as it appears in the pictures. It is on the wider side. It is probably about 2x or 3x more accurate than using your finger, but not a precision stylus. The stylus excels at clicking links ... like the closely spaced links on cnn.com. One feature is that the tip is soft and will not harm the tablets screen.

SiliconS

Jun 13, 2004
I was given a Bamboo stylus for Christmas and it is a lovely stylus to use on my Nexus 10. Accurate and smooth, and nicely-weighted. I can't imagine how the very light pressure I'm using as I use this on my screen could possibly scratch the glass. Were you people whose screens got scratched pressing quite hard?

Reactions: chem_mr

chem_mr

Dec 1, 2012
The Jot Pro requires a lot of pressure. I may look into a different stylus for handwriting, but I do find 7 notes handwriting recognition infuriating sometimes, especially for some technical words.

I think if the Jot Pro had a softer tip it would be a lot better.

HolyChicken

Dec 31, 2012
I recently ordered the Maglus stylus. It should come tomorrow so I will updated with my review.

Update: My Maglus came yesterday and I am in love with it. Granted this is my first time using a stylus but I really cant imagine that a stylus can get any better than this. The rubber tip makes such good contact with so little pressure. It almost feels like it picks it up a millimeter before it even comes in contact with the screen. It is not the thinnest of tips (7mm) but it is insanely accurate to where I want it to touch. The large tip also allows for writing/drawing at almost any angle to the screen. The built in magnet also triggers the screen on/off when placed down near the front facing camera. The magnet is not the strongest tho so if you do hold it vertically it ill slide off the screen. Since I did not buy it for that feature I could care less. It also came with an extra replacement tip housed in a metal keying for easy transport without damage, a cleaning cloth and a cardboard tube/case for the stylus itself. I would definitely recommend this stylus to anyone looking for the perfect all around stylus.

Last edited:

leokan

Oct 11, 2009
I got the classic adonit and i am really happy with it. the quality is great and it works as expected. the only problem i came across is that most applications do not support palm rejection and you have to be really careful when writing fast. overall though great experience

adoute

Jun 9, 2008
Detroit area, MI
I just picked up a Wacom Bamboo Duo (stylus pen combo). So far, I love it. A little pricey, but it's comfortable - heavy, but not too much. The stylus glides nicely, and has a good amount of give to it, but isn't too squishy. The rubber tips are replaceable, as is the ink cartridge.

Amazon link

chem_mr

Dec 1, 2012
I got the classic adonit and i am really happy with it. the quality is great and it works as expected. the only problem i came across is that most applications do not support palm rejection and you have to be really careful when writing fast. overall though great experience

Are you using handwriting recognition with your Jot Pro? How much pressure is required to draw continuous lines without skipping? I have a lot of trouble with skipping which messes up handwriting recognition.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am waiting for my device but I want to buy samo accessories for it. This is my first capacitive tablet and I want to buy a good stylus for it. My wife will use it for drawing - so it will be nice if it is suitable for this too.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/2925937/best-stylus-ipad-review

Personally, I got Andonit Jot Pro because I wanted to be able to write as thin as possible (when needed). Especially, at one point owning Note 10.1, I missed the S-pen experience. So I got Andonit Jot Pro based on the review for my transformer infinity, which i also tried to use on my wife's ipad 2.

Though I can tell you one thing. Capative screen stylus is nothing but a finger replacement. So accuracy is nowhere that of inductive technology e.g. Galaxy Note 10.1, Wacom Pen devices. Furthermore, there is no palm rejection i.e. as soon as your palm touches screen it recognizes the palm.

So to be honest, even cheap stylus would still do the job. if I could return my andonit stylus, I would have and just kept using my 3 for $5 stylus over $20+ Andoit Jot pro.
    I'm getting the gosmart , it has the thinnest most Accurate tip and its got a spring on the front that makes it pressure sensatibe in a way

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
    I'm beginning to see a few scratches on my screen from the Jot Pro. It looks like a single event as if a small grain of sand got caught between the stylus and screen. I may try some sort of screen protector.

Has anyone reported scratches from other styli?

I'II have to monitor my screen for scratches from the Jot stylus. I found I was having to grip the stylus too hard because of the aluminum body of the stylus. Also, any dirt or oils on the screen greatly reduce the sensitively of the Jot stylus, even trapping dirt between the hard plastic stylus tip and screen. Therefore, those of you using the Jot may wish to consider keeping your screen really clean. A second idea that has really helped is getting a length of heat-shrink tubing from an electronics store and shrinking it around the barrel of the stylus. This has given me a much more comfortable grip.

However, I will have to keep an eye out for scratches. So far, so good.