[Q] Export SMS (to email or text)?

Search This thread

j111

Sep 17, 2013
I'd like to export my SMS messages either to my email (non-Gmail) or into text format.

"SMS Backup +" claims to back up to Gmail but I read a blog about it that makes me think it works with any IMAP server, not just Gmail(???). Not sure if it can export to text.

Similar thoughts for "Super Backup : SMS & Contacts".

There are a few other blogs around about this, but I trust answers here much more than some of the stuff out there on the web. So what are you people using for something like this?

PS - Oh, "Text via Email" looks promising. I also see "SMS to Text". Few to try out, but I'd like to hear if anyone has experience with these or other solutions.

j111

Sep 17, 2013
No, I'm not looking for a backup just to be able to restore to the phone again.

I am looking for a human-readable SMS export, so xml... that'd be my last resort -- I'd prefer text file(s) or email.

j111

Sep 17, 2013
Good Solution

Tried "SMS Backup +" and found that yes indeed, although it defaults to Gmail, it can be configured to use any other IMAP server. Pretty much perfect for what I wanted. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
No, I'm not looking for a backup just to be able to restore to the phone again.

I am looking for a human-readable SMS export, so xml... that'd be my last resort -- I'd prefer text file(s) or email.

The "Restore" part of "Backup and Restore" must have not been too clear.... the app I mentioned backs up to an xml file, then restores them back, regardless of what ROM you're using... I'm sorry for not clarifying that SMS Backup and Restore would actually backup SMS messages and restore them as well.