[RECOVERY] A500 Public Recovery v0.2 based on CWM v5.5.0.4 for ICS [May 21st 2012]

Search This thread

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
[Size=+2]A500 Public Recovery v0.2 based on Koush's CWM v5.5.0.4[/Size]

Here is a new Clock Work Mod for the ICS unlocked bootloaders only.

Features:

* cleanup tab option: shortcut to try to fix forcequits after updates, return to recovery and select on the main screen (Wipes Cache, dalvik, and fixes permissions)
* Standard options to backup and restore to either the SD card or internal storage
* Mount points match those of most running roms
* adb shell works as root (with or without system mounted)
* set boot mode menu to select the boot partition (hidden on know non-multiboot bootloaders)
* setbootmode and itsmagic command line tools for advanced users
* /data/linux directory is not deleted on erase userdata, nor backed up on nandroid backup (just like /data/media) to allow a space for linux files for dual boot and chroot linux installes.

While there may not be much fantastic yet about the recovery it appears funcitonal at this point. (Features such as touch ui may appear in the future)

Why is it called Public: its public in the sense that all the scripts and code required for anyone to build it have been made avalible. (note some linux knowledge may be needed to build it yourself)

[Size=+2]Installation[/Size]

There are to main ways to install
1) using fastboot or nvflash you can install the image
A500PubRecovery_v0.2.img MD5: 0e40a494cd066b1c8e1a8d01493f1452

2) using a any exiting recovery (as long as you have one of the unlocked bootloaders) you can install with an update.zip
A500PubRecovery_v0.2_update_S.zip MD5: 349d0d6284fc6d1e071827a37a8a55e5

** (FYI the fastboot command to run on your computer is 'fastboot flash recovery A500PubRecovery_v0.2.img')

[Size=+2]Developers Additional Information:[/Size]

Build instructions (including how to fetch the source code) is here:
https://github.com/ezterry/AcerRecovery/blob/recovery_manifest/README.mkdn
(Thanks yous/Credits are also included)

Kernel:
as of version 0.2 the kernel is built from source (see above for information on fetching the build tree including the linux kernel)

the kernel in v0.1 was a patched for system r/w acer ICS Stock kernel
additional information can be seen on the commit:

https://github.com/ezterry/AcerRecovery/commit/402da6f73e752e80312318e177035ee02e4fbf89

The biggest thanks is as manythings in the Android World to Koush, and the CyanogenMod team. (They did the hard part, I've just tweaked it for the A500 configuration)

[Size=+2]Version List[/Size]

v0.2:
A500PubRecovery_v0.2.img 0e40a494cd066b1c8e1a8d01493f1452
A500PubRecovery_v0.2_update_S.zip 349d0d6284fc6d1e071827a37a8a55e5

v0.1:
A500PubRecovery_v0.1.img 4414bdbdd3aa7b7d7d1166595e6ccb2a
A500PubRecovery_v0.1_update_S.zip f45e7e3b640b42a68ec9bb08bd4b88ce

for details on the source commits used in the builds please see:
https://github.com/ezterry/AcerRecovery/blob/recovery_manifest/VERSIONS.mkdn

Last edited:

civato

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
I will put it in the guide ,so when you flash the unlocked boot loader you can chose to install this with it , the more options for the user the better.

Thanks for the hard work.

Reactions: JdgM3NT4L

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
btw,

The a501 is a very similar device.. is some more advanced user wishes to test things out and let me know if and changes is needed or if its good as is (fastboot boot may be useful if you wish to boot it without actually saving it to the tab)

Other Acer devices probably need slight modifications, if you help I can look into adding it to the codebase/builds..but I can only test the a500 as it's the only tab I own.

Just try to make sure you have a link to the source code of any kernel..and failing that that it Lisa stock kernel from an official OTA image.

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Its all running fine but when i want to boot into the CWM it seems to work but then the Android Guy with open Stomach and the Red ExclamationPoint is showing.

If you are running a stock ICS rom you need to make sure you don't have the recovery patch still installed, otherwise the stock recovery will be installed on reboot if any other recovery is installed.

If you have the script and patch.. this recovery as any other custom recovery will be overwritten.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Basian Mile

Mar 14, 2011
The CWM (v5 from Thor2002ro) is running now. I was using the wrong CPUID. That was my falut. But now its ok.

So i can flash this new Recovery just in this right?

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
If you have one of the the unlocked ics bootloader you can flash this recovery.. either directly or with the update.zip from a working custom recovery.

Reactions: Basian Mile

Euclid's Brother

May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
www.interphaze.com
Great Job!

If you want to build an A510 version, just change the data partition to point to /dev/block/mmcblk0p10. Everything else stays the same. If it doesn't boot, i may need to have the A510 recovery kernel.

BTW.. the recovery kernel doesn't really need to be patched for r/w, because /system never gets mounted as readonly, so it never does a remount to r/w. I've repacked recoveries with stock ICS kernels and they work fine. == Although, it doesn't hurt to patch them. ==

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
BTW.. the recovery kernel doesn't really need to be patched for r/w, because /system never gets mounted as readonly, so it never does a remount to r/w. I've repacked recoveries with stock ICS kernels and they work fine. == Although, it doesn't hurt to patch them. ==

Part of it is I intend the kernel for my own ics rom. (Safer anyway in my opinion to not find any surprises as a user but not the biggest issue)

civato

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
Tested it and installed fine , it's barebones recovery but I think A lot will love it , clean and simple. I used fastboot to install it .

Thanks Ez.

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
BTW I'm working on the next release

1) Some minor bug fixes (partitioning sdcard and full wipe are a bit strange at present.. in most cases we don't re-partition sdcards.. and wipe if you are installing a rom after will fix its self)

2) Now that acer has released their source, I've dropped the pre-built tweaked stock kernel, and added a source build, mostly still stock but I've changed to lZMA to allow some more space for the recovery ramdisk. (also system remount is allowed by default in this kernel so no postbuild acrobatics .. ie KPatch script)

3) add setbootmode/itsmagic binaries to the system. A500 (this is in github as is the kernel so building from synced source will give you a recovery with these pre-installed)

4) hopefully add an interface to call said binaries

Also I have an A510 test version I need someone (with the tab) to try.. PM me

Edit (Feature Idea):

whould anyone be interested in recovery when wiping not only skiping /data/media (internal /sdcard) but also skiping /data/linux ?

The idea is dual boot people bootling linux could use a ramdisk to run some bindmount/piviot root hackery to make /data/linux the root directory
also anyone using chroot to run a linux distro along side android could use the /data/linux directory as the chroot jail

let me know and I'll look into making APR here support such a feature

Last edited:

micky387

Recognized Developer
Sep 9, 2011
Lyon
Is it posible to add app cwm for install.zip,backup,restore since rom ?
For exemple,the same app into sgs2 with siyha kernel or another kernel ??? Big thanks

Envoyé depuis mon A500 avec Tapatalk

Skrilax_CZ

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 20, 2009
3) add setbootmode/itsmagic binaries to the system. A500 (this is in github as is the kernel so building from synced source will give you a recovery with these pre-installed)

Ehm, definitely don't put itsmagic next to setbootmode, it corrupts the kernel image in AKB.

Edit (Feature Idea):

whould anyone be interested in recovery when wiping not only skiping /data/media (internal /sdcard) but also skiping /data/linux ?

The idea is dual boot people bootling linux could use a ramdisk to run some bindmount/piviot root hackery to make /data/linux the root directory
also anyone using chroot to run a linux distro along side android could use the /data/linux directory as the chroot jail

let me know and I'll look into making APR here support such a feature

:D

Yeah I'm actually thinking to install linux to /data/linux and chroot there, too, exactly the same way.

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
For exemple,the same app into sgs2 with siyha kernel or another kernel ??? Big thanks
I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about,

If you want to use this recovery with RomManager (as an unofficial 3.x+ recovery) you may. (In rom manager select flash recovery, select a500, select that you have manually installed a CWM recovery, select 3.x) To make it "official" koush needs to update his repo.. and I'm not going to poke that until I fix some minor outstanding bugs.

Actions will by default happen on the /data/media partition (as that is usually /sdcard) and no roms are yet in the system.. but I may work on fixing that after I make the next release. Currently running a backup myself.

If you want some other app to do this.. it needs to be compatible with the clockwork mod API.

Ehm, definitely don't put itsmagic next to setbootmode, it corrupts the kernel image in AKB.

next to as in both the "itsmagic" and "setbootmode" binaries are in /sbin? .. I hope you can live with that.

I don't intend to automatically run it *ever* in this recovery, just want it to exist for anyone cleaning the system to return to a HC bootloader.. probably won't even add it to the GUI as its not something you want to do by mistake (and really I don't want to promote anyone to do.. its just there for some advanced users doing advanced operations). Boot mode however will be in the gui.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckarrow2

ckarrow2

Oct 27, 2009
Forest City, NC
next to as in both the "itsmagic" and "setbootmode" binaries are in /sbin? .. I hope you can live with that.

I don't intend to automatically run it *ever* in this recovery, just want it to exist for anyone cleaning the system to return to a HC bootloader.. probably won't even add it to the GUI as its not something you want to do by mistake (and really I don't want to promote anyone to do.. its just there for some advanced users doing advanced operations). Boot mode however will be in the gui.

Very clever... :) i was worried myself at first when i saw you mention itsmagic... i'm so happy we have an open bootloader now with no tricks... oh, except the original hacking :)
Thanks so much for your work on this!

micky387

Recognized Developer
Sep 9, 2011
Lyon

If you want to use this recovery with RomManager (as an unofficial 3.x+ recovery) you may. (In rom manager select flash recovery, select a500, select that you have manually installed a CWM recovery, select 3.x) To make it "official" koush needs to update his repo.. and I'm not going to poke that until I fix some minor outstanding bugs.

Actions will by default happen on the /data/media partition (as that is usually /sdcard) and no roms are yet in the system.. but I may work on fixing that after I make the next release. Currently running a backup myself.

If you want some other app to do this.. it needs to be compatible with the clockwork mod API.

OK.
I want to know if it's possible to add the same app (a part of recovery)
Thanks

Attachments

• CWMManager.apk
    162.1 KB · Views: 94

Skrilax_CZ

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 20, 2009

Yeah that's ok, I meant next to as in GUI, that would bring only problems.

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
v0.2 is out (see op)

Bugfixes:
~ wipe full data fix
~ fix on formating the external sdcard
~ cleaned up some warnings

Features:
~ added multiboot support (select boot partition)
~ added itsmagic binary (command line only)
~ switch to kernel source build rather than pre-built kernels
~ added /data/linux support (skip on wipe data, and nandroid backup)

kernel was built from:
https://github.com/ezterry/AcerTabKernel/commit/a6312764aa19ea7fe581b9931723c206a12b11ef
config file: apr_a500_defconfig

besides the configuration the kernel source is thus far unchanged from the acer a500 ICS drop

The kernel is built along with the recovery, see developer notes in OP for a link to the build instructions.

Maldune

May 5, 2007
v0.2 doesn't boot for me.

Using Skrilax v6 bootloader I can't boot v0.2 while v0.1 works fine, both flashed from fastboot.
I also tried flashing v0.2 from v0.1 recovery, same results.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Size=+2]A500 Public Recovery v0.2 based on Koush's CWM v5.5.0.4[/Size]

Here is a new Clock Work Mod for the ICS unlocked bootloaders only.

Features:

* cleanup tab option: shortcut to try to fix forcequits after updates, return to recovery and select on the main screen (Wipes Cache, dalvik, and fixes permissions)
    * Standard options to backup and restore to either the SD card or internal storage
    * Mount points match those of most running roms
    * adb shell works as root (with or without system mounted)
    * set boot mode menu to select the boot partition (hidden on know non-multiboot bootloaders)
    * setbootmode and itsmagic command line tools for advanced users
    * /data/linux directory is not deleted on erase userdata, nor backed up on nandroid backup (just like /data/media) to allow a space for linux files for dual boot and chroot linux installes.

While there may not be much fantastic yet about the recovery it appears funcitonal at this point. (Features such as touch ui may appear in the future)

Why is it called Public: its public in the sense that all the scripts and code required for anyone to build it have been made avalible. (note some linux knowledge may be needed to build it yourself)

[Size=+2]Installation[/Size]

There are to main ways to install
    1) using fastboot or nvflash you can install the image
    A500PubRecovery_v0.2.img MD5: 0e40a494cd066b1c8e1a8d01493f1452

2) using a any exiting recovery (as long as you have one of the unlocked bootloaders) you can install with an update.zip
    A500PubRecovery_v0.2_update_S.zip MD5: 349d0d6284fc6d1e071827a37a8a55e5

** (FYI the fastboot command to run on your computer is 'fastboot flash recovery A500PubRecovery_v0.2.img')

[Size=+2]Developers Additional Information:[/Size]

Build instructions (including how to fetch the source code) is here:
    https://github.com/ezterry/AcerRecovery/blob/recovery_manifest/README.mkdn
    (Thanks yous/Credits are also included)

Kernel:
    as of version 0.2 the kernel is built from source (see above for information on fetching the build tree including the linux kernel)

the kernel in v0.1 was a patched for system r/w acer ICS Stock kernel
    additional information can be seen on the commit:

https://github.com/ezterry/AcerRecovery/commit/402da6f73e752e80312318e177035ee02e4fbf89

The biggest thanks is as manythings in the Android World to Koush, and the CyanogenMod team. (They did the hard part, I've just tweaked it for the A500 configuration)

[Size=+2]Version List[/Size]

v0.2:
    A500PubRecovery_v0.2.img 0e40a494cd066b1c8e1a8d01493f1452
    A500PubRecovery_v0.2_update_S.zip 349d0d6284fc6d1e071827a37a8a55e5

v0.1:
    A500PubRecovery_v0.1.img 4414bdbdd3aa7b7d7d1166595e6ccb2a
    A500PubRecovery_v0.1_update_S.zip f45e7e3b640b42a68ec9bb08bd4b88ce

for details on the source commits used in the builds please see:
    https://github.com/ezterry/AcerRecovery/blob/recovery_manifest/VERSIONS.mkdn
    I will put it in the guide ,so when you flash the unlocked boot loader you can chose to install this with it , the more options for the user the better.

Thanks for the hard work.
    If you have one of the the unlocked ics bootloader you can flash this recovery.. either directly or with the update.zip from a working custom recovery.

Hi, ive trying to install A500 Public Recovery v0.2 on my Skrilax_CZ bootloader V8 on ICS A500. Got no luck so far with fastboot with 'waiting for device' error. Any help?

Ignoring for the moment your inability to use fastboot is no fault of the recovery:

That message means what is says: the computer dosn't see a device with fastboot; and is waiting for such a device;

common causes include:

1) Tablet is not in fastboot mode, boot holding volume up, this will boot the bootmenu, then using the tablet select fastboot mode; once the tablet is in fastboot re-try the command from your PC

2) Linux users need access to the device; if you are properly in fastboot mode; try re-running as root on your PC

3) The USB wire isn't plugged in; and your computer can't talk to the device

3.2) The USB wire is loose or the fastboot mode didn't initialize correctly; if the tablet is in fastboot mode unplug the usb wire, wait 3 seconds and re-plug it.. ensure the wire is fully plugged in.

for me its 2 or 3.2 ... but sometimes with multiple phones, my desktop, and my netbook 3 is know to happen when the wire isn't plugged into the device you intended it to be.