[Q] The correct order of root

Search This thread

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
Hi,

I want to root my xperia z1 compact.
As i read, there are few steps that i need to take before rooting my device - backup TA partition, installing CWM, rooting the device.
Both of the CWM/TA backup require that the device will be rooted but if i will root my device without backing up the TA partition i cant go
back and reinstall the stock rom.

What is the correct order of the rooting process?
If the rooting process will get done correctly can i reinstall my stock rom back(for warranty issues)?
What are the downside for rooting - i want it mainly for Titanium backup and the Lba apps?

Thanks for any help!

thermalboyz

May 1, 2008
NoWhere
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2642081

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2634196

If you follow the guide, you should be able to root without Unlocking Bootloader (Which will cause you loosing TA if you Unlock bootloader first)

So, the best way is to Root (Without unlock bootloader) which is in the guidance, then Backup TA, then you can unlock bootloader if you like (to install ROM or other tweaks).

For myself i just need root so i kept the Bootloader lock and have a backup TA just in case.

Reactions: cohena

cohena

Dec 13, 2004

If you follow the guide, you should be able to root without Unlocking Bootloader (Which will cause you loosing TA if you Unlock bootloader first)

If i understood correctly, i will be flashing other rom(previous version in which the root witout unlooking bootloader exploit exsist), to my device.
what will be the effects on my device? will i lose my current device configurations - apps/settings/localization/...? where this change wil be noted?

The process is very complicated and with a lot of "Brick" possibilities, will a more noob friendly version should be expected soon?

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Yes you will lose your data as stated in the guides. There isn't really any brick potential, if you screw something up you should always be able to start over again.
As long as there is no other exploit, there won't be an easier method.

D_R_Z_87

Mar 10, 2013
If i understood correctly, i will be flashing other rom(previous version in which the root witout unlooking bootloader exploit exsist), to my device.
what will be the effects on my device? will i lose my current device configurations - apps/settings/localization/...? where this change wil be noted?

The process is very complicated and with a lot of "Brick" possibilities, will a more noob friendly version should be expected soon?

Hi,

I've rooted my Z1C successfully 2 weeks ago with this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2642081

At step 18 you had to do a factory reset... You should always create a backup. But you're are right, this guide could be more noob friendly :)

I wish there were some screenshots or more detailed explanations, because after I flashed the first file, I only could see a black screen, a white symbol photo of the Z1C with some japanese (?) characters and the phone doesn't do anything... Can't turn off, can't exit this screen... I was shocked until I see a home screen :D

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
[..] But you're are right, this guide could be more noob friendly :)

I wish there were some screenshots or more detailed explanations, because after I flashed the first file, I only could see a black screen, a white symbol photo of the Z1C with some japanese (?) characters and the phone doesn't do anything... Can't turn off, can't exit this screen... I was shocked until I see a home screen :D
If you have some concrete tips I'll be happy to edit the guide :)

D_R_Z_87

Mar 10, 2013

Hi,

in my situation it would have been helpful to know following things:
- is it ok to rename the downloaded .ftf files from .zip to .ftf ? --> in my case it was ok, because the windows explorer automatically saves the .ftf file as .zip (also .apk files). --> in your guide, post #8, you wrote that this is not ok.
- as i already wrote in my last post, i thougt my phone got bricked after flashing the first file...
- i got stuck at step 13, installing dualrecovery and got the message "Waiting for device to connect" - in my case everything was configured right on my computer, already checked your tips, but it doesn't work until the fifth restart of my phone... maybe you should also suggest a few restarts when the phone would not be recognized :)

i've rooted several samsung and google nexus devices, but this phone...

but in general, your guide is really good and helped me!

Reactions: zxz0O0

cohena

Dec 13, 2004

I will take few days to better understand the process and then i will follow the guide's suggestions, i will post my experience
using the guide after the hopefully successful ending....

Two questions:
how do i do a "factory reset"?
I have no data to lose, so data loss is not an issue for me....

At the hopefully successful ending of the guide which rom do i have?
I want to get back the same device experience i begen the rooting process with....

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
I will take few days to better understand the process and then i will follow the guide's suggestions, i will post my experience

Two questions:

I want to get back the same device experience i begen the rooting process with....

Great :good:
I rooted and unlocked the bootloader right after I bought the phone so data loss was also not a problem for me.

Factory reset is located in Recovery Menu under 'Wipe data/factory reset'.
In the end you will have an unbranded UK firmware with root access. There isn't really any difference.

Reactions: cohena

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
In the end you will have an unbranded UK firmware with root access. There isn't really any difference.

What do you mean there is no difference?
What are the diffrences between firmwares? what does firmware means- kernal maybe?

I need to understand if having the uk firmware will cahnge my current "device expereince" - gui, localization. preinstalled apps, or it is
just a change to the os itself without any imapct on the current user interface.

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
What do you mean there is no difference?
What are the diffrences between firmwares? what does firmware means- kernal maybe?

I need to understand if having the uk firmware will cahnge my current "device expereince" - gui, localization. preinstalled apps, or it is
just a change to the os itself without any imapct on the current user interface.

Pretty sure there is no difference in the kernel. There might be a difference in the pre-installed apps or modem, I don't know your current rom so I can't answer that. In the end you won't notice any difference.

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
Hi,
but if i will root my device without backing up the TA partition i cant go back and reinstall the stock rom.
Yes you can!
If the rooting process will get done correctly can i reinstall my stock rom back(for warranty issues)?
Yes.
What are the downside for rooting
NON!
what does firmware means- kernal maybe?
Firmware is basically the OS, Gingerbread, Icecream Sandwich, Jellybean, Kitkat, and the main difference between a UK ROM and a Global ROM for example might only be one or two apps at the most.
Sony's UI looks the same on an ROM (that is the same Firmware), and if you need to flash a new ROM to root then chances are you will loose whatever you haven't backed up.

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
Pretty sure there is no difference in the kernel. There might be a difference in the pre-installed apps or modem, I don't know your current rom so I can't answer that. In the end you won't notice any difference.

Thanks for your help so far...
The preinstall apps does not concern me - most of them i will remove anyway...
The modem part sounds problematic....
My build is 14.2.A.1.114, where can i found the rom/modem version data?

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for your help so far...
The preinstall apps does not concern me - most of them i will remove anyway...
The modem part sounds problematic....
My build is 14.2.A.1.114, where can i found the rom/modem version data?

You don't need to care about that... Just follow the guide you won't notice anything different.
If you are scared so much you could create a ftf of your stock rom (there are guides on the forum).

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
You don't need to care about that... Just follow the guide you won't notice anything different.
If you are scared so much you could create a ftf of your stock rom (there are guides on the forum).

Let summerize the procedure so far :

1. I will create a ftf image of my stock rom using the guide that i found, here :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35910775
in the "How to backup your Sony Ericsson Xperia firmware using Update Service and the FlashTool" video.
In that guide the end result is a ftf file and the root guide asks for zip file, how can i get the zip file from the ftf one?

2. I will root my xz1c as the guide suggests here :

3.ABOUT THAT I AM NOT TOO SURE : on step 19 on sub step 1, i will instal my device ftf instead of the uk one and continue
with the rest of the other 2 sub steps.

Am i correct?

If i am flashing back my device rom or the uk rom at the end of the procedure and both roms are unrooted, how come the device is rooted?
After rooting the device how can i unroot or reroot if needed - i will have to go all the way again?

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
No.. I meant that you can create a ftf of your stock rom if something would be wrong with the UK one you could flash your old one.
But this won't even happen because the ROMs are almost the same! I don't understand what you are scared about.

There are people from many countries using this UK firmware and no one complained yet.

cohena

Dec 13, 2004
No.. I meant that you can create a ftf of your stock rom if something would be wrong with the UK one you could flash your old one.
But this won't even happen because the ROMs are almost the same! I don't understand what you are scared about.

There are people from many countries using this UK firmware and no one complained yet.

Ok, so no going back....
After having my device rooted with the uk rom, how cam i localize(keyboard, lang, cell operators, etc....),
the device to my country?

And again with the logical question - if at the end of the process i am flashing an unrooted rom that i flashed at
the beginning of the guide, how can the device be rooted?

I have just been notified that my device is going to get updated to Android ver 4.4.2(KitKat) today/tomrrow, does it changes anything regarding the root procedure?

Last edited:

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Ok, so no going back....
After having my device rooted with the uk rom, how cam i localize(keyboard, lang, cell operators, etc....),
the device to my country?

And again with the logical question - if at the end of the process i am flashing an unrooted rom that i flashed at
the beginning of the guide, how can the device be rooted?

You just select your language in android, like you normally do :confused:
UK firmware does not mean there is only english. There are still all languages available.

In the end you are flashing a zip file (step 19.1), that zip file has root installed.

I am working on updating the guide for KitKat.

papzi57

Feb 28, 2013
pécs
You just select your language in android, like you normally do :confused:
UK firmware does not mean there is only english. There are still all languages available.

In the end you are flashing a zip file (step 19.1), that zip file has root installed.

I am working on updating the guide for KitKat.
You right!
We need root our lovely Z1c device...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes you can replace the files directly if you want. When following the steps for rooting, change the files in step 15 and 19.1 to the files from 0.757 I provide in my other thread ;)

So, the best way is to Root (Without unlock bootloader) which is in the guidance, then Backup TA, then you can unlock bootloader if you like (to install ROM or other tweaks).

For myself i just need root so i kept the Bootloader lock and have a backup TA just in case.

Hi,

in my situation it would have been helpful to know following things:
    - is it ok to rename the downloaded .ftf files from .zip to .ftf ? --> in my case it was ok, because the windows explorer automatically saves the .ftf file as .zip (also .apk files). --> in your guide, post #8, you wrote that this is not ok.
    - as i already wrote in my last post, i thougt my phone got bricked after flashing the first file...
    - i got stuck at step 13, installing dualrecovery and got the message "Waiting for device to connect" - in my case everything was configured right on my computer, already checked your tips, but it doesn't work until the fifth restart of my phone... maybe you should also suggest a few restarts when the phone would not be recognized :)

i've rooted several samsung and google nexus devices, but this phone...

but in general, your guide is really good and helped me!

Two questions:

Great :good:
    I rooted and unlocked the bootloader right after I bought the phone so data loss was also not a problem for me.

Factory reset is located in Recovery Menu under 'Wipe data/factory reset'.
    Been there, done that, the help i get here mainly by zxz0O0(but not only), is VERY much appreciated.

Regrding the file switch you mentioned, what's wrong with .681 version? does .757 version is stable enough?
    I am not going tp flash my room too often so i am lloking for stable and proven firmware version....

Don't install .681, it has a massive bug. Sound comes from earpiece sometimes (randomly) instead of speaker. Sony released .757 to solve this!