Can't run sense 6 roms?

Search This thread
Mar 16, 2014
Any time I try to flash a rom that is sense based my phone instead of booting like a normal phone it boots to the HTC screen then restarts and boots into TWRP. Anyone know of a fix? I tried to wipe system, data, cache and dalvik cache but nothing works.

EDIT: When I try to install the stock rom it says some symlinks failed and error executing updater binary in zip

Last edited:

syaoran68

Jul 31, 2008
Irvine, CA
are you using a GPE phone if you are the partitions are a bit different and you have to go through the process of converting your phone.

Mar 16, 2014
are you using a GPE phone if you are the partitions are a bit different and you have to go through the process of converting your phone.

It is from ATT, it had sense stock but I accidentally formatted the entire phone now my hboot screen looks different. it is black with a droid in the middle instead of white with the droids on skateboards. and the splash screen has a small black unlocked lock at the bottom instead of the normal htc splash.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
It is from ATT, it had sense stock but I accidentally formatted the entire phone now my hboot screen looks different. it is black with a droid in the middle instead of white with the droids on skateboards. and the splash screen has a small black unlocked lock at the bottom instead of the normal htc splash.

What did you do to "format" it?

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
I think you installed a GPE firmware, you'll need to find a rolled up (rather than an OTA) Sense firmware for your device. I take it you're S-Off?

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007

Nah, firewater doesn't work for me unfortunately.

I don't know what's going on. Unless I'm mistaken, that sounds like the GPE boot screen, which you could only flash if you're S-Off.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
If that is in fact the GPEboot splash (I'm not that familiar with GPE) you should still be able to get into bootloader, you might just be doing the button combo wrong. Nothing you wiped affects hboot; nor can it be overwritten with s-on (aside from a signed hboot for your version).

Hold down the Power and vol up button to force the phone to reboot. The moment the screen goes dark, let go of vol up, and hold vol down until you see the hboot screen. If you see any screen but the white hboot screen, you probably just pressed vol down too late, or let go of it too early.

Or adb reboot bootloader.

Mar 16, 2014
If that is in fact the GPEboot splash (I'm not that familiar with GPE) you should still be able to get into bootloader, you might just be doing the button combo wrong. Nothing you wiped affects hboot; nor can it be overwritten with s-on (aside from a signed hboot for your version).

Hold down the Power and vol up button to force the phone to reboot. The moment the screen goes dark, let go of vol up, and hold vol down until you see the hboot screen. If you see any screen but the white hboot screen, you probably just pressed vol down too late, or let go of it too early.

Or adb reboot bootloader.

This is what it looks like.
39DarkBootloader.jpg
But it use to look like this
how-to-unroot-the-htc-one-m8-complete-guide-q77Rs6bTtcXKvao.jpg

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Wow, strange. As I mentioned, I'm not that familiar with GPE, but it must have a different hboot (not a splash screen like the other responses was suggesting). You shouldn't be able to change hboot with s-on.

So did you try to do a GPE conversion? As I mentioned, nothing in TWRP could have caused this.

This also explains why you can't install/boot Sense ROMs. As another mentioned, the GPE partitioning is different, so that prevents Sense ROMs from running.

What version/carrier do you have?

Mar 16, 2014
Wow, strange. As I mentioned, I'm not that familiar with GPE, but it must have a different hboot (not a splash screen like the other responses was suggesting). You shouldn't be able to change hboot with s-on.

So did you try to do a GPE conversion? As I mentioned, nothing in TWRP could have caused this.

This also explains why you can't install/boot Sense ROMs. As another mentioned, the GPE partitioning is different, so that prevents Sense ROMs from running.

What version/carrier do you have?

AT&T, I flashed a stock recovery to try and get OTA's from a GPE rom and it soft bricked my phone. After that all the changes happened. Also the splash screen when you first boot the phone has a small unlocked lock picture at the bottom. It looks like this but under powered by android is a little lock.
m8-powered-android.jpg

Last edited:

fromeo85

Apr 19, 2007
I am in the same boat as the OP. Did the GPE conversion with S-On somehow and here I am stuck with GPe and AOSP ROMs only :eek:

KuroTheBang

Aug 17, 2014
Dortmund
The Colorscene is nothing to worry. GPE-HTC phones have always been black (Black Hboot = GPE; White = HTC)
Have you tried to use a superCID and flash the first one (iirc 1.54...)Rom? Got that working on my old M7
@fromeo85, how was you able to convert your device to GPE with S-On? I mean, you have to change the CID to GOOGL001, which obviously just works if you are S-Off

Last edited:

alsoscott

Dec 7, 2008
Phoenix, Az
I'm pretty much in the same boat as a few others here - except I know exactly where I went wrong and learned a valuable lesson.....

Before I started all this, I had S-OFF, Root and running ViperOne on my M8
Wanted to try out a AOSP Rom and used a 4.4.3 GPE ROM, which flashed successfully (not sure how, it shouldn't have).
Once the M8 was running 4.4.3 GPE, it prompted for an update to 4.4.4 which I accepted. The update failed and booted into TWRP instead. I was overly determined to get 4.4.4 installed (should have left it alone at this point instead)

I rebooted into bootloader and very very stupidly, flashed the GPE recovery, rebooted and accepted the install to 4.4.4.
This boot looped my phone, corrupted internal storage, and reapplied security (S-On).

I was able to get internal storage cleared up and successfully installed CM11 so at least I'm booting something and its not bricked.

At this point, I'm back to a bootable state with CM11 - but can't return to Sense. I've tried to install InsertCoin and ViperOne - both fail towards the end of installation - writing permissions and installing busybox - same with restoring ROM via recovery. Also, the original GPE ROM fails installation, but doesn't give any errors.

I've tried to S-Off with revone, firewater, SunShine and rumrunner - all fail. I need S-Off to get HBoot back to a version that can boot Sense or open up security so a Sense based ROM can install successfully. Also tried to SuperCID, which requires S-OFF so that fails as well.

So I'm stuck with:
- S-On
- version-bootloader: 3.18.0.0000
- version-baseband: 1.14.21331931.LA02_2G
- modelid: 0P6B13000
- cidnum: T-MOB010

I've tried flashing current (and previous versions) stock Firmware and using different versions of RUU but all fail with hboot version check failed and S-On. Flashing GPE 4.4.x (4.4.3 and 4.4.4) firmware fail as well but cant remember the exact error off the top of my head.

I'm at a loss.. Over the years I've read plenty of tutorials and have a pretty decent understanding of the Android ROM ecosystem. I've searched all over to no avail. If the GPE Recovery and/or 4.4.4 Update would have left Security Off, I wouldn't have any issues since I could flash firmware or HBoot and install ViperOne or any other Sense based ROMs....

I've been racking my brain trying to fix this for 2 days now so I've come here for a bit of help... I've tried to list all my troubleshooting steps in here, but I know I've missed some

Any ideas?? One thing that would really come in handy right now is one of the several S-Off methods to work on AOSP Roms.

fromeo85

Apr 19, 2007
@fromeo85, how was you able to convert your device to GPE with S-On? I mean, you have to change the CID to GOOGL001, which obviously just works if you are S-Off
@CorzCorry I am not entirely sure but I ended up using Sunshine to gain S-Off when I was on the stock GPE ROM and everything is golden now. Though I am sticking with GPE since I prefer a vanilla experience over any OEM UI overlay.

Last edited: