[FIXED+SOLVED] No more tether under ICS - limits ad hoc network connections

Search This thread

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
After ICS, the Prime cannot see wireless tether options. I have tried both wireless tether and barnacle on my phone and now the Prime will not see them and allow a connection to my phone.

UPDATE: so here is the basic situation for new readers - in Honeycomb on the Prime, using tether apps worked perfect and the Prime accepted ad hoc network connections so you could tether your Prime to your phone easy. Under ICS on the Prime, the ability has been removed and now the Prime will not seem to allow you to connect to ad hoc networks - those typically made via tether apps with your phone.

HEY before you post up "it works fine for me" do your research & you will see 2 key reasons why some can report it works...

1) they have "native" tether built into their phones - which means it is part of the native built in phones ability

Or

2) they are rooted & have a ROM that has tether cooked into it essentially making it "native"

If your one of these people there is no reason or need to chime in that "it works fine for me". We know & your not part of the issue here but you chiming in confuses the issue if you have 1 or 2.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

UPDATE for TF300 users - 5.11.12

According this this user, this mod works on the new TF300

IT HAS BEEN FIXED BY ASUS - 2.31.12

As of this day, the recent .21 OTA update gave us ad hoc functionality back natively!

IT HAS BEEN SOLVED - 2.3.12

Based on a post I read the other day, and that I was asked to test today, I decided to try 1 more time and it worked!! But not how I expected. I tried 3 tests... the final one worked!!

So, here is the process:

1. root is required AND make sure you have your file system app (like Root Explorer) set to make files R/W so you can edit/rename/set permissions
2. turn off wifi
3. go into system/bin and rename wpa_supplicant2 to wpa_supplicant2.bak - that's right folks.. it is NOT wpa_supplicant but wpa_supplicant2 that is running the show
3. download the wpa_supplicant file found here post #24 in my other thread
4. unzip it
5. rename it wpa_supplicant2 NOT wpa_supplicant
6. move it to system/bin and paste it
7. set permissions to xxx, x, xxx (columns) - see more details below if confused
8. go back and start up wifi
9. turn on wifi analyzer and you will see (*)AndroidTether with no red Ad Hoc notation!!
10. click to connect
11. ****ing surf and tether away!!

No rebooting needed, it is instant

I am using the good old original Wireless tether 2.0.7 app I always used! None of those beta releases and picking settings and blah blah

Yes, I was able to connect right back to my local wifi with no issues as well!

PLEASE hit the thanks button, I worked long and hard on trying to get this to work

#7 details if you don't understand permissions settings

When you set permissions (long press the file) a pop-up opens and it shows 3 columns with 3 checkboxes in each. Each "x" is to be checked

Read...Write...Execute
x..........x..........x
x......................x
x......................x

Attachments

• ididit.jpg
    ididit.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 5,868
Last edited:

Someone Walkin'

Apr 13, 2007
Seriously people, you have to send this POS back.

By keeping it all you are doing is sending them a message saying it's ok to palm their customers off with third rate shoddy products.

There's no way ANYONE should be 'happy' with paying for functionality they're not getting.

Haro912

Jul 27, 2011
Pittsburgh
Tethering works with my LG Revolution. Running Wifi Tether 3.1-beta6.

Have it set to display in infrastructure not ad-hoc. Ad-hoc may be the issue here

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
Have you tried setting it up using the wireless tether app but not in adhoc mode....using softAP mode or something like that.

Reactions: PapaSmurf6768

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
wifi tether 3.1-beta6 on htc tb still works

Where you finding this beta of wifi tether? here it is

I use version 2.0.7 of Wireless Tether on my OG Droid and never had an issue, now it is dead and no tether. Latest version of Barnacle did not work either.

My laptop sees the tether 100% perfect... my tablet will not - just shows "AndroidThether not in range"

Last edited:

Pacothebandit

May 29, 2009
After ICS, the Prime cannot see wireless tether options. I have tried both wireless tether and barnacle on my phone and now the Prime will not see them and allow a connection to my phone.

I have a T-mobile hotspot. I left it at home, this morning I thought maybe I would try my sprint NS4G to see. My Prime found it just fine, but it wouldn't give me data cause I dont have a tethering plan. Just sayin, its working for me.

darkangeldc5

Jun 20, 2010
Are you trying to tether to or from prime? If you are trying "from" prime (aren't you getting internet from wifi at the first place?) you can click more -> Tethering & portable hotspot

If you are tethering to prime, then all you need is to enable wifi?

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
Are you trying to tether to or from prime? If you are trying "from" prime (aren't you getting internet from wifi at the first place?) you can click more -> Tethering & portable hotspot

If you are tethering to prime, then all you need is to enable wifi?

No no.. I would never tether TO the Prime, no value in that.. I tether my Prime TO my phone. Worked perfect before ICS.

And no, it is not just as simple as "then all you need is to enable wifi?" that fact is exactly why they make tether apps.

abristowful

Jan 10, 2012
I used Bluetooth tether just a little bit ago and it worked great

Can you or any of the other bluetooth wifi users give me some hints on setting it up? Havent been able to figure it out

From My other thread, here are my full details:

I have a rooted Verizon 4G Samsung Charge. Was using Open Garden Wifi with no problem since I received my Transformer Prime.

Wifi Analyzer on Prime finds the wifi network but It doesnt show up at all in Wireless and Network settings. FML

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

For those using Open Garden Wifi, what frequency channel, transmit power, and LAN network settings are you using?

I have even tried Barnacle now with no luck~!

Ready2Mosh

Jun 18, 2007
No no.. I would never tether TO the Prime, no value in that.. I tether my Prime TO my phone. Worked perfect before ICS.

And no, it is not just as simple as "then all you need is to enable wifi?" that fact is exactly why they make tether apps.

Tether app is so you can send a data signal from that device, it isn't for connecting to a device that has data, you need to turn on wifi and locate the name of your hotspot and connect.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I can confirm also. Prime is not seeing my Wireless tether app or Barnacle. WTF is going on? this is a big deal as I use tether methods for internet to tablet away from home. What did they change to make it not work anymore?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UPDATE: so here is the basic situation for new readers - in Honeycomb on the Prime, using tether apps worked perfect and the Prime accepted ad hoc network connections so you could tether your Prime to your phone easy. Under ICS on the Prime, the ability has been removed and now the Prime will not seem to allow you to connect to ad hoc networks - those typically made via tether apps with your phone.

HEY before you post up "it works fine for me" do your research & you will see 2 key reasons why some can report it works...

1) they have "native" tether built into their phones - which means it is part of the native built in phones ability

Or

2) they are rooted & have a ROM that has tether cooked into it essentially making it "native"

If your one of these people there is no reason or need to chime in that "it works fine for me". We know & your not part of the issue here but you chiming in confuses the issue if you have 1 or 2.

UPDATE for TF300 users - 5.11.12

According this this user, this mod works on the new TF300

IT HAS BEEN FIXED BY ASUS - 2.31.12

As of this day, the recent .21 OTA update gave us ad hoc functionality back natively!

IT HAS BEEN SOLVED - 2.3.12

Based on a post I read the other day, and that I was asked to test today, I decided to try 1 more time and it worked!! But not how I expected. I tried 3 tests... the final one worked!!

So, here is the process:

1. root is required AND make sure you have your file system app (like Root Explorer) set to make files R/W so you can edit/rename/set permissions
    2. turn off wifi
    3. go into system/bin and rename wpa_supplicant2 to wpa_supplicant2.bak - that's right folks.. it is NOT wpa_supplicant but wpa_supplicant2 that is running the show
    3. download the wpa_supplicant file found here post #24 in my other thread
    4. unzip it
    5. rename it wpa_supplicant2 NOT wpa_supplicant
    6. move it to system/bin and paste it
    7. set permissions to xxx, x, xxx (columns) - see more details below if confused
    8. go back and start up wifi
    9. turn on wifi analyzer and you will see (*)AndroidTether with no red Ad Hoc notation!!
    10. click to connect
    11. ****ing surf and tether away!!

No rebooting needed, it is instant

I am using the good old original Wireless tether 2.0.7 app I always used! None of those beta releases and picking settings and blah blah

Yes, I was able to connect right back to my local wifi with no issues as well!

PLEASE hit the thanks button, I worked long and hard on trying to get this to work

#7 details if you don't understand permissions settings

When you set permissions (long press the file) a pop-up opens and it shows 3 columns with 3 checkboxes in each. Each "x" is to be checked

Read...Write...Execute
    x..........x..........x
    x......................x
    x......................x
    It appears Chicken Little bought a TP. WiFi tether works just fine.

There are way too many people on here who have no idea how to use their Android tablet and blame it on a bug or intentional bug by Asus.
    Small update..

I reached out to the creator of the wifi tether beta apps we have been using to see if in some way his app could be used - maybe a setting - that can in some way mask the signal or trick ICS into seeing ad hoc as infrastructure. Or something maybe. Not heard back.

Second... Asus reached out to me here related to another thread of mine. In our emails I asked them about this issue & if they can fix it. Not heard back yet.

Still trying to get this fixed for us all.
    It has been solved...

see post #1 for screenshot and step by step processes :0

please hit the Thanks button if it helps you :)
    Just tried another idea and actually had a little progress.. but failure in the end

I took some pre ICS modified wpa_supplicant files I found in the Xoom forums (they have same issue) and tried them.. No joy. But, then I decided to leave the stock wpa_supplicant file in place and rename the borrowed wpa_supplicant files to wpa_supplicant2 and replace the ICS wpa_supplicant2 and something interesting happened.

I could now see my wifi with NO red "ad hoc" next to it for the first time since ICS. I got super excited. I clicked on it and sure enough, it said connect.. I got more excited. I clicked "connect" and it started to connect... hella excited... and yet no data flows and it does not connect as at that stage, you get a "fail" notice :( damn!

So what next LNL? I plan to watch the Xoom forums since they (1) have way more users and (2) now have official release ICS and (3) they have a ton of threads about ad hoc issues on HC - and devs cranking out working wpa_supplicant files - and now that they have ICS I suspect those same people will fry foul again and maybe those same devs will step up and be able to fix it for them as if they can, that might help our cause.