Considering a Surface RT

Search This thread

mikegadd

Dec 27, 2005
I have the Asus VIVO Tab RT which uses same OS. I love it as an ultra portable tablet/laptop but one thing I really hate is the browser. I just hate IE10 on Windows 8/Windows RT and wish Chrome or Firefox would release a browser for RT.

Does it not give you a browser option as other versions of windows does after first software update?

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
None of the other major browsers have been ported to Windows RT yet. I'm working on a port of Chromium, but it's difficult; the parts of the code that are ARM-specific were never meant to compile either on or for Windows.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
"Can it run..." is obviously going to be yes. Playability is another question, though; Intel HD4000 graphics are low-end for gaming. You might get acceptable perf if you turn settings down enough. Seriously though, it's basically just a laptop with a Core i5 CPU and Intel integrated graphics, but in a really small form factor. It can run anything that a normal laptop of the same specs could run.

Also, yes, there has been some discussion of gaming on them already. Read before posting, please.

Finally, this thread is about Surface RT, not Surface Pro. Why did you post here? There are other threads for discussing the Pro.

swbf2lord

Dec 13, 2009
Florida
"Can it run..." is obviously going to be yes. Playability is another question, though; Intel HD4000 graphics are low-end for gaming. You might get acceptable perf if you turn settings down enough. Seriously though, it's basically just a laptop with a Core i5 CPU and Intel integrated graphics, but in a really small form factor. It can run anything that a normal laptop of the same specs could run.

Also, yes, there has been some discussion of gaming on them already. Read before posting, please.

Finally, this thread is about Surface RT, not Surface Pro. Why did you post here? There are other threads for discussing the Pro.

Unfortunately though, it's not quite as powerful as a laptop i5. If I'm not mistaken it's an i5 3317U which is less powerful than a laptop i5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mikeparakh

Dec 12, 2011
London
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Has anyone got any live football streams on their surface? I'm trying to get the myp2p.pe links working to watch premier league games, but cant seem to get them to work, even with the links added to the flash white list thing?

LastBattle

May 27, 2012
Unfortunately though, it's not quite as powerful as a laptop i5. If I'm not mistaken it's an i5 3317U which is less powerful than a laptop i5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

That's for sure :) I have a desktop running i5 processor, 2.8 GHZ quad core (up to 30 watts TDP) while most ultrabooks/ tablet will only be clocked at 1.7Ghz with dual core (17 watts TDP).

B_atto

Dec 11, 2011
Hi Guys

I'm planning to buy a surface rt. I also tested it in the local store here in Germany and really liked it. But i have a few question at you, the surface rt owner before i buy one.

1.I often take photo's with an DSLR in Raw format and was wondering if the surface can display this format? I dont consider to do photo editing, this is something for my desktop PC at Home. But if I am on a trip it would be really helpfull to look at all the raw photos on a bigger screen instead of the display from the camera.

2.Is the playback from MKV files still a problem? is there a player in the m-store which can play them or even the standard video player?

3.And what exaclty is this touchDown app, which is shown in another Thread. Dont heard of it at all.

4.Are you happy with your surface and do you miss x86 programs?

Thank You for your replies :)

DagsJT

Mar 6, 2010
Hi Guys

I'm planning to buy a surface rt. I also tested it in the local store here in Germany and really liked it. But i have a few question at you, the surface rt owner before i buy one.

1.I often take photo's with an DSLR in Raw format and was wondering if the surface can display this format? I dont consider to do photo editing, this is something for my desktop PC at Home. But if I am on a trip it would be really helpfull to look at all the raw photos on a bigger screen instead of the display from the camera.

2.Is the playback from MKV files still a problem? is there a player in the m-store which can play them or even the standard video player?

3.And what exaclty is this touchDown app, which is shown in another Thread. Dont heard of it at all.

4.Are you happy with your surface and do you miss x86 programs?

Thank You for your replies :)

I use Mobile.HD for MKV files and not had a problem with the few videos I've tried. Plays flawlessly and no stutter at all.

Being able to run x86 would be nice just so I could have more choice of games as there's barely anything decent out for RT at the moment. Hopefully this will change as the RT matures.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No major issues.
    For the same price in Canada, the Asus ME400 offers Windows 8 x86 so I went with that due to needing Java/Cisco for remote connectivity to work. I did not regret owning surface. There was nothing majorly wrong with it, I loved the full USB port (which the Asus does not have). Surface RT use s a proprietary charger vs the Asus which uses micro-usb charger. Surface charges faster.
    If the app you want is not in the app store, or you need drivers for your devices, that could be a problem. Note that Surface RT does not offer a full size SD card slot, only a micro. You can't put your camera card directly into Surface unless you are using microsd.
    Build quality is top notch, the kickstand is great, battery life is very good, and Windows RT is pretty slick.
    I have a Surface RT and I love it! I use it for nearly everything. I use remote desktop or team viewer for anything that requires x86 apps.

Its brilliant to use around the house! my wife has her Nexus 7 and has to switch between that and her laptop every so often while I just use the Surface.

When my laptop dies which wont be long (though it could be longer as I don't use it now) then I plan on getting a Surface Pro. The build quality of it (Surface RT) is outstanding. I had an issue with the touch cover, contacted Surface support and they were amazing, got a new touch cover no questions asked and in quick time, reported the issue at around 1400 and got the new one at around 1300 the following day! I cant recommend it enough. Everyone I show it is impressed with near enough everything it can do, the only downside is that not all the apps I used to use on Android are available, but Android is coming up to its 5th Birthday in October and that will be 1 year of Win RT.

25'879 are in the Windows Store as of writing and if, this is a big if, Microsoft can some how link the WP store and the WinRT store then it has massive potential.

I only wish that Microsoft really pushed hard on getting these into people hands. In the UK John Lewis is a very repeatable store but that is the only brick and mortar place you can get one. In nearly every store I go these day there is a gadget area selling iPads and Androids, come on Microsoft lets have you back at the top of the tech tree, where you were when you bailed out Apple!