[Q] Questions re CM11

Search This thread

cencored

Jul 11, 2009
Hi guys,
I have done some research but don't seem to find a newbie FAQ about flashing stock rom of my HTC One X Endevour to CM11. So here are my questions:

1) Can I use the installer for CM11 to make it easy on myself or do I need to flash manually?
2) If something goes wrong (and because I use this phone for my day job too), is there a way to flash it back to the current stock state?
3) Does flashing to CM11 allow me to import my previous sms/mms, email settings, photos etc?
4) I need to use a couple of apps from the Play store. Will this not work anymore after flashing?
5) Currently using 4.2.2 which is quite good. Does CM11 improve significantly over this?

Sorry for all the questions, if someone give me a hand or point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated!

Poojan Patel

Jan 1, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Hi guys,
I have done some research but don't seem to find a newbie FAQ about flashing stock rom of my HTC One X Endevour to CM11. So here are my questions:

1) Can I use the installer for CM11 to make it easy on myself or do I need to flash manually?
2) If something goes wrong (and because I use this phone for my day job too), is there a way to flash it back to the current stock state?
3) Does flashing to CM11 allow me to import my previous sms/mms, email settings, photos etc?
4) I need to use a couple of apps from the Play store. Will this not work anymore after flashing?
5) Currently using 4.2.2 which is quite good. Does CM11 improve significantly over this?

Sorry for all the questions, if someone give me a hand or point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated!

1)dont know bcos never used installer
2)take nandroid backup of your stock rom. so, in future you can restore it if something goes wrong..
3)flashing a custom rom erase your sms/mms,contact,emails,apps,settings. take a backup of sms/mms,contact backup.
4)flash gapps and you will be able to use google apps.
5)install CM11 and see the difference...

cencored

Jul 11, 2009
1)dont know bcos never used installer
2)take nandroid backup of your stock rom. so, in future you can restore it if something goes wrong..
3)flashing a custom rom erase your sms/mms,contact,emails,apps,settings. take a backup of sms/mms,contact backup.
4)flash gapps and you will be able to use google apps.
5)install CM11 and see the difference...

Thanks Poojan Patel, I really appreciated you taking the time to reply.
A couple of follow up questions:
Android backup is an app from the play store I assume? This backs up everything (including sms/emails/contacts etc.?) or do I need a separate backup porgram for sms,...?
With my sms etc backed up, can I then just restore all that stuff onto the CM11 rom once it is installed?

Thanks again.

Poojan Patel

Jan 1, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S8+
use "super backup" from market..this app takes backup of sms,contact,call logs.etc
u dont need to take backup of email..u can sync ur emails.
use "titanium backup" app for application backup
u can restore ur sms backup in cm11..

AkFatherof4nCounting

Feb 18, 2013
Fairbanks
Hi guys,

There are many guides on flashing to CM11 or AOSP, etc.. The best way would be to have a custom recovery, which you need to flash most of the roms, updated HBoot, you need to be able to flash the image. I would go read some of the guides on how to do it.

AkFatherof4nCounting

Feb 18, 2013
Fairbanks
Thank you for that. Any link to get me started would be great.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069904

This guide helped me, I still use his flash tool, I find it easy to use, and I use Philz Recovery (personal choice, I like the look and ease of use). It took me a while to get everything figured out, I am a little slow when it comes to all things techy, but flashing is pretty simple once you get through the intitial try.

cencored

Jul 11, 2009