What I did to achieve decent battery life, performance, and customization on NC4 OTA

Search This thread

kinstre11

Jul 6, 2014
Hobe Sound
@tjrocks91

What has been your experience with battery life using SetCPU? I lost double the percentage of battery in one hour of screen on time with settings similar to what you suggested. Not to mention that my phone got so hot that it was uncomfortable to hold. Is this a normal occurrence for you or should I look into tweaking my settings?

*(edit) I changed my settings from performance to ondemand and the temperature problem vanished. I will report back after a full battery cycle.
**(edit 2) After about 14hrs with roughly 2hrs of screen time I'm sitting at 85%. Not as good as I've seen in the past but close enough to the performance boost I've noticed with SetCPU.
Thanks for your posted info with recommended settings.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I just recently bought my Note 3 and it unfortunately came with NC4. Thanks to Geohot and his TowelRoot I was able to root my phone and install some minor/simple tweaks using Xposed Installer to make my Note 3 usable. Here's a step-by-step of what I did to get my phone to achieve better battery life and performance while also maintaining a decent amount of customization options without installing a full-blown ROM since SafeStrap currently has issues with the OTA NC4 update..

1. Download, install, and run TowelRoot to achieve root on the Galaxy Note 3.
    2. After the reboot induced by TowelRoot, install SuperUser from the Google Play Store. You should install one of the following three: Superuser by ChainsDD, SuperSU by Chainfire, or Superuser by ClockworkMod.

You will probably get a notification when you open any of these apps: “The Superuser binary (su) must be updated.” I never bothered to update and every app that has requested root has been working fine for me. Please skip to the second post to see how to update your Superuser binaries if this notification bothers you.

3. Next, install Greenify and SetCPU. Open Greenify, select all apps, and then select hibernate. You can select whichever apps you'd like to hibernate but since this is a post about what I did, hibernate all!
    4. Open up SetCPU and set your max clock-speed to 2265 and min clock-speed to 883. Check “Set on Boot” and change “interactive” to “ondemand”.

* I also set a conditional profile that is activated when my screen is turned off (max CPU 729, min CPU 300, Governor powersave). However, this causes some delay when unlocking the phone as the CPUs have to ramp-up. It is actually doing much better on standby but I know that others don’t have patience for that split-second CPU ramp-up to occur, so creating this profile is up to you.*

5. Open up your browser and go to http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.robv.android.xposed.installer. Then download de.robv.android.xposed.installer_v33_36570c.apk. Install the apk and run it. Select “Framework” and then select “Install/Update”. Allow it to install and reboot.
    6. Once rebooted, open up the Xposed Installer app once again. Go to the “Download Section” and search for and install ActivityForceNewTask, Chrome New Tab (Xposed), DVFS Disabler, GravityBox [KK], Smooth System Progress Bars, Statusbar Scroll to Top, StopSwitchDelay, and YouTube AdAway.
    7. After installing these modules, open up the Xposed Installer app once again and go to Modules. Make sure you activate all of the aforementioned modules you installed by checking each’s checkbox.
    8. Reboot your device.
    9. Open up Xposed Installer again, go to modules, select DVFS disabler, and check the box within the app that states “Disable TouchWiz DVFS”. Go back to the Modules section in Xposed Installer, select GravityBox and enable or disable any customizations that you’d like. Go back to the Modules section in Xposed Installer, select Greenify and enable Boost Mode and Keep Notifications. Go back to the Modules section in Xposed Installer, for the Smooth System Progress Bars, Statusbar Scroll to Top, StopSwitchDelay, and YouTube AdAway modules, select whatever settings you desire.
    10. Reboot your device.
    11. Enjoy smoother performance and somewhat better battery life.

Please let me know what you guys think if you do this!
    a4ehyqa7.jpg

i appreciate your write up and work but i have to ask if you are not around a plug often? i use Greenify for the 3rd party stubborn stuff and have for some time but i use the heck out of my N3 including work calls all day and playing Youtube for music in truck for kids and i plug in at night at around 30-35% after killing it all day.

what is the real world need for this? maybe camping or something or is it merely the challenge?

NC4 really ruined everything about the Note 3. My battery life was cut in half and there's just so much lag. The point of this was to improve battery life and performance by disabling DVFS, hibernating apps, and taking control of the CPU. I can't go from 7:30am-2:00am without my battery dying. I'd like to ideally have atleast a day and a half worth of battery that would allow my phone to last 18.5 hours.