Help me decide between the Galaxy Nexus and 4G LTE

Search This thread

Tyran2099

Apr 26, 2012
no brainer

Samsung has establish itself as one of the front runners in the cellular industry..while HTC lacks proper "battery life" technology :cool:

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'm not sure what you mean by battery life technology... it really depends on the size of the battery, and the efficiency of the processor in the phone. Since the Krait S4 chip is amazingly efficient, and the battery size is fairly hefty for the size of that phone (combined with the already improved battery life of ICS), I'm not really worried about battery technology here. We're going to see some SOLID battery performance. Plus as soon as someone gets a custom kernel made (or even roots to allow SetCPU to be used), we're talking NO problems with battery. So I'll take the superior build quality of the HTC phone (seriously, have you watched that detailed video on the construction of this beast?) and the mind-blowing specs. Even if GSIII has comparable or slightly better specs, it won't be enough to sway most. Who knows when it is coming out, and what the specs will be like? If it doesn't have the physical camera button an kickstand, I wouldn't even consider it if the guts are comparable.

dfr867

Oct 20, 2011
Ummmmm....reading above where the 4LTE has a "non-removable" battery....I'm a big time ROM flasher and I've run into more than one instance that required me to pull the battery...what about that??

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Ummmmm....reading above where the 4LTE has a "non-removable" battery....I'm a big time ROM flasher and I've run into more than one instance that required me to pull the battery...what about that??

From what I understand, every phone has a button combination (ie hold down both volume buttons for 5 seconds, then hold down the power button and down volume button for 10 seconds) that will do the same thing as the "pull the battery and restart phone" method. There will be no issues regarding that (so I've heard - never done it personally). I believe the only issue with the non-removable battery is lack of ability to expand to an extended one.

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
There is a button combo to shut off the phone. Rather than shut off and reboot. That was my concern, because sometimes if you need to battery pull, trying to boot back into the ROM is not a viable option. So I asked over in the One X forum, and you can indeed shut off phone, then boot to bootloader/recovery. ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Reactions: PsiPhiDan

dfr867

Oct 20, 2011
From what I understand, every phone has a button combination (ie hold down both volume buttons for 5 seconds, then hold down the power button and down volume button for 10 seconds) that will do the same thing as the "pull the battery and restart phone" method. There will be no issues regarding that (so I've heard - never done it personally). I believe the only issue with the non-removable battery is lack of ability to expand to an extended one.

Yep. I figured there had to be a way to do it. It just caught my eye. I've also heard that there will be several "versions" of the new EVO as well...think I read somewhere where the phone was going to have a quad processor...Japan? Europe? Something like that. Anyone else heard anything on that?

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Yep. I figured there had to be a way to do it. It just caught my eye. I've also heard that there will be several "versions" of the new EVO as well...think I read somewhere where the phone was going to have a quad processor...Japan? Europe? Something like that. Anyone else heard anything on that?

Well I know the One X has multiple versions, and the Europeans have the inferior quad core tetra that most people are still bragging about (over our dual cores, haha) but I have not heard anything about this in my obsessive searches regarding our EVOs. ;)

But yeah, when the new quad cores come out in the S4 snapdragon, I'm sure we'll see a new sort of "EVO" since Sprint loves milking that name dry. I don't need four cores for my usage. This Krait processor will keep my happy for a LONG time! :D

dfr867

Oct 20, 2011
Well I know the One X has multiple versions, and the Europeans have the inferior quad core tetra that most people are still bragging about (over our dual cores, haha) but I have not heard anything about this in my obsessive searches regarding our EVOs. ;)

But yeah, when the new quad cores come out in the S4 snapdragon, I'm sure we'll see a new sort of "EVO" since Sprint loves milking that name dry. I don't need four cores for my usage. This Krait processor will keep my happy for a LONG time! :D

Well I'm always looking for more power. I've thought about waiting to see if I can get the quad version on ebay or something.

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Well I'm always looking for more power. I've thought about waiting to see if I can get the quad version on ebay or something.

My guess is that the average cell phone user will not see a perceptible difference in daily performance when the quad core drops. I can't even imagine how a phone can be snappier than that S4 Krait dual core.

Are you insanely game-crazy and intense multi-tasking? I doubt you'd even hardly notice if you were, haha.

To me, it is like getting 50 Mbps internet access instead of 40 Mbps internet access to check your email and watch YouTube occasionally. It just won't affect anything. Or getting a 1440p resolution on a 26" TV. You know what I mean? Maybe I'm wrong here, but for our current phones and apps and uses, I don't see it as remotely necessary. Unless there's some added benefit I'm unaware of.

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
Here's a persuasive argument straight from the star toastcfh himself.

Quote.....

no, USB mount does not work in recovery. It appears to be locked out in recovery mode. the workarounds to get it working are one of two things.

(1) fastboot boot awesomeRecovery.img (this works because fastboot then boots recovery on the boot/temporary partition. So the you're not actually in recovery mode
(2) Offmode (this works because again you're again not technically in recovery mode. It uses the recovery ramdisk, kernel, and binaries but its still not technically recovery.

On that note I've seen suggestions that it's possibly a recovery issue with cwm and twrp. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be the case. If it were then in CWM u wouldn't have usb when u fastboot boot the recovery or in offmode (fair assumption since both these options use the same kernel, ramdisk and binaries as recovery?). Can it be fix? Not that i know of. It looks to me like a total radio or bootloader lockout from using USB in recovery. Which means on a radio or bootloader level USB is disabled in recovery mode.

On that note I think we should raise the point to HTC that this locking down of the device does not suite our needs.Key points of fail would be as follows.

(1) Can NOT flash the boot partition from recovery. I've personally contacted HTC on this numerous times and they seem to just not care. Responding with "It's a security issue" and so forth. I would love to know how this is a security issue of any sort. Every other Android device has this ability except HTC devices since they started the HTC unlock ordeal. It's utter fail IMHO and HTC should listen to our needs .

(2) Can NOT flash recovery or boot partitions from system. This issue is NOT a deal breaker and isn't so bad when it comes down to the nitty gritty. But since the issue above exists, flashing with applications like htc dumlock and such were our only options. These work around apps cant be used to flash now because of the lockpout from system and it wouldn't be such an issue if HTC didnt lock us out in recovery from flashing boot.

(3) Can NOT flash P*IMG.zips in hboot/bootloader anymore. For the unlocked device running a custom firmware this is a must. Specially when radio updates and such are needed from the OEM. We seen a big use of this on the Sensation when HTC updated the device from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich. The update required new hboots, radios, and partitioning to actually use. So in that instead of having to flash a RUU Which didn't exist the only choice was to flash a custom P*IMG.zip that included all the radios and images need to run the builds. At this point we can't update those image/partitions without flashing an RUU. This makes no since and doesn't seem to do anything but make things more difficult on the unlocker to customize and modify their device.

(4) If all the conditions above HAVE to exist. Then why not give us documentation or utilities to flash fimware.zips from recovery like HTC does? When HTC was the proud Nexus device there was full support and documentation available on how to flash firmware on their devices. This made anyone choosing an HTC device blessed with knowing that their device was not only open and unlocked, but when flashing firmware that it was being flashed correctly to Google and HTC's standards. This code has now been moved out of recovery since right before the move to edify scripting and moved to vendor/htc/ (not arguing this choice as thats where it belongs from a maintaining point of view). But the problem is that vendor/htc is proprietary now. Which means Documentation and support for flashing firmware correctly is not available and left to developers of recoveries for the community to figure out. One would think if HTC was standing behind us that they would step up and give us a PROPER/OPEN/REAL unlock, or if they cant for the lame excuse of security concerns, then give us the documentation and utilities to flash the boot and firmware partitions properly. I mean really... what is there to lose there?

(5) WHAT WAS THE POINT OF HTC UNLOCK? I was to reach out and except us as a community. It was to keep us from having to exploit their firmware and look for holes to gain control of a device we rightfully own. WHAT DID HTC UNLOCK DO? It unlocked the devices at first and with each new revision of the unlock it gets more locked down and harder for us to use it as intended. WHAT DOES THAT LEAD TO? It leads to us hoping someone will take the time out of their life and exploit HTC's firmware so we can have access and control of our devices. I mean, it's bad when u have people poking a device with a paperclip to get a device unlocked to avoid a official unlock.

Bottom line; I'm personally fed up with HTC's unlock. It's absolute crap! It does not serve the purpose it was intended and only makes things harder then they were before. As a devoted HTC customer it has me questioning if my next device will be an HTC. With all the other options that would allow me to spend less time trying to gain proper access to my device and more time actually having fun with it, why choose HTC? Everyone else is shying away for these same issues. Everyone with an HTC unlocked device waits for someone to exploit HTC's firmware and give them a proper unlock. Why not just choose a device without the locked down/unlock instead? IDK but HTC needs to step up and listen to us. Every HTC forum with an HTC Unlock is screaming for these issues to be fixed.

My call to HTC is to fix these issue and/or give us proper documentation on flashing firmware to our devices via custom recoveries. The boot flashing lockout is dumb, pointless, and in NO WAY a security threat AT ALL and is nothing more then a CRAP RESPONSE to something that they sould be working to correct, instead of ignoring. In the end its hurting HTC's relations with developers and is ultimately doing the opposite of what it's original intent.

HTC, PLEASE READ AND LISTEN!!!11ONEone

To everyone else, SPREAD THE WORD!!!ONEone

.....,...........end quote.

I have a certain zeal for toast, as he provided the root access we used for launch days evos. But there has to be a way to petition HTC about this. Gives me pause about a new Evo.

This quote is from One X forum, TWRP thread.

Rakeesh_j

Jan 13, 2010
I have/had a crap ton of phones. My favorite Android phones thus far have been the N1 and NS4G. Why? Because it was updated immediately, and even when it wasn't first in line, it still ran Custom ROMs very smoothly with everything working because of AOSP and more open drivers.

The NS4G was/is a old phone and I choose it over the GS2 (which I had sitting on my desk unused) as my main android phone. Hell, with ICS it was faster, but above all, it was always relevant. The GS2 was exciting for about 1-2 months and now its irrelevant. The One X / EVO LTE will be the same. Jellybean will be announced soon, the GN will be relevant and the excitement over the new shiny phones will die down and their communities will be "enjoying" half working ROMs.

Many won't agree with me but I'd never recommend anyone a non Nexus phone. Software is key, especially when we're running low demanding mobile apps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree with this. I'm on an evo 3d right now, and I will not be getting another HTC phone. It's really stupid because HTC locks their bootloaders with only a half unlock available that even voids your warranty.

ICS has been out for a while, yet ICS builds on Evo 3D are basically worthless because of all of the proprietary hardware the Evo 3D (and indeed, all HTC phones) uses. Until your phone has been out for a very long time, you'll be looking at custom roms that have half of the phone's features missing.

Look at the GN sprint forums, almost every rom has every hardware function working.

With any luck, the Evo 3D *might* see a functioning ICS an entire year after ICS was actually released, due to HTC's painfully slow release cycle.

I'm getting a galaxy nexus, without question.

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'm still getting the EVO. I'll take a stock EVO over a rooted Nexus.

Plus, I know someone will figure it out eventually. I don't want to root a brand new phone anyway.

That sucks that HTC is being such a pain though.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

flex360

Sep 22, 2010
if it has no root options, im not getting the evo at all
ill just wait and see how it goes

jmboulware

Jan 7, 2012

Typically its like a PC: hold the power button down long enough and the phone shuts down. I've had to do it on my EVO View many times. ;)

I'm with u guys ... EVO all the way, there's really no comparison in my mind. Even if its half the phone of my current EVO, consider how long the OG has stayed relevant. The devs are salivating at the notion of getting to it ... I would imagine some development for the nexus and other devices will slow down through Q3 as efforts are turned to the Evo LTE.

My only battery gripe is I keep several charged batteries just so I can do a quick swap and keep going without plugging in. I don't care so much about putting in a 3500ma; I don't like the bulk. I just don't want to wait on a charge when I'm ready to flash something else.

JB

Sent from my MIUI v4 EVO 4G using XDA Premium

Last edited:
G

GuestD0701

I personally would get a Gnex.. I did and im very happy!!! I got a Sprint variant and development has Really taken off!!! I don't even know what to flash next and it's only been out a 9 days since release!! Lol. I loved my ole Evo 4G, but afterwards became a huge fan of anything made by Samsung!!! After owning a NS4G and several other devices since 2008' I'm all Samsung!! But I would say get what's best for you! Both are excellent devices!! If you want a humongous cpu and HTC Sense isn't a biggy to you, go with the HTC Evo lte. If you like flashing roms and having an UnGodly variety, then definitely get the Gnex!! I use Trinity kernel and get 4 hrs screen time on the first round! So many options with the Gnex. That is why I chose it... Very happy with my choice too!! I honestly don't know of anything better than getting a new device. Haha. I'm hooked on this crap man!! I currently own a E4gt, NS4G and now a Gnex. :D I carry them all in my pocket. Lol. Never phoneless! Happy shopping man!! Have a good one!

Aokp #34 unofficial
Trinity kernel
FD01 radios

Saneless One

Mar 31, 2011
Plus, I know someone will figure it out eventually. I don't want to root a brand new phone anyway.
That's what I thought, but here I am, 10 months later, stuck with the same EVO 3D that has the lowest bitrate possible for Bluetooth audio and no reliable way to deal with it since AOSP ROMs are all missing core functionality.

I figured it's an EVO, people will be right on it and figure it out. Don't count on it.

That being said, I think the Nexus has its flaws and overall the One/EVOLTE is probably a better phone.

Art2Fly

Aug 11, 2010
Everyone keeps saying devs are going to be jumping to the ltevo, but where are the actual devs that are saying this? All I know tight now is that a lot of users and flashers will be buying the phones... probably rom chefs as well, but no developers. I'm not convinced yet... especially since I have the gnex staring at me in this sprint store

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using XDA

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
Last 3 posts are excellent, and really steering me toward galaxy nexus. Even though I typically can't stand Samsung phones, with the BS that HTC is pulling with half unlocks and with proprietary SW and drivers, really makes me weary. I really don't wanna be stuck with a phone that has less development than my current phone (OG Evo). But that seems to be the case for the Evo 3d and One X folks. :banghead:

Hardware and build quality of Evo LTE blows Sammy outta the water, but having the phone locked up would make the great hardware irrelevant and useless (like the BT bitrate issue stated about Evo 3d and no way to tweak/fix it). I'm so stoked to get a new phone, and at first was ape**** about Evo LTE. But after some serious thinking about it (like 24-7 lol), and following the One X and GNex forums I realize it's quite the dilemma.

And as for development, as posited earlier, what devs are going to Evo LTE? People say devs are salivating over it. Who? I haven't seen many saying they intend to go there. But if they did, I suspect they'd be disappointed, due to being unable to really DO anything to the device or make quality ROMs because of HTC unreleased code. Damn this is a tough call.

@flashback7
I was reading Cnet reviews yesterday and they state the galaxy nexus doesn't support USB/MS. :what: I about lost it! That MUST be wrong, right? I can't believe that you cannot transfer files from PC to GNex, but I'm reluctant to believe Cnet somehow got that wrong. They even stated that Android 4.0 supports it, but the GNex does not. Or are they just saying to have to install an app for that (like bextons USB/MS app)? Could you please clarify?

This has actually become a great thread, and really caused me to re-examine my allegiance to HTC. And unfortunately, I'm starting to lean to GNex :(

Art2Fly

Aug 11, 2010
Scott,
The question you should be asking yourself at this point is whether to go for a lesser phone with active development or to risk it on a better phone that might not even need development! All I hear about sense 4.0 is praise... and if it's really that good... do we need development?

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XhausX said he's in on the Evo LTE. If any of you aren't familiar with him, he basically became the Evo 4gs toast after toast split (before toast split, actually). He fixed recoveries and wrote updated root tuts, etc. I'm only saying that having xhausx on your team puts you on a winning team. Very encouraging.

TEAM REVOLUTION will be supporting the Evo 4g LTE
    Popular dev Myn will be getting one also to develop roms
    i have a strong feeling Mik will be too, since he loves sense
    Virus might jump on board too

everything looks good for the evo 4g lte so far

i was this close to getting the galaxy nexus, im glad i didnt get it. i would take sense 4.0 over stock andoid anyday
    I guess I really don't know that I need to strip away Sense immediately. I've read many good things about 4.0 from people who hated Sense before. With an expensive, brand new device, I don't want to screw around anyway.

I'm not going to buy a phone that isn't to my standards - I'm buying a phone because I love how it runs as is. While people furiously search for ways to root, I'll enjoy the stock performance. Maybe a year later, when everything has been exploited and the development is flowing, I'll probably start rooting and exploring customizations again. Sure I'll miss flashing stuff, but I won't miss NEEDING to because I'm jealous of everyone else's phones (not until Jellybean, that is). I'm looking forward to a great camera, blazing fast processor, everything working, 4G (which is in my area right now), etc.

To me, if you're one who despises Sense, get the Nexus. If you can tolerate it a while, get the EVO. Simple. This idea the EVO will be outdated fast is silly. What do you want your phone to do? Massage you? It has a blazing fast OS, amazing hardware, and a camera that takes as good of pictures as is needed for a phone. If things get slightly faster or slightly more memory or slightly better in the camera department, who cares? You will still have a VERY capable phone which was the first to have a lot of features. I can't wait to buy mine, yet I feel like everyone suddenly thinks it sucks. I'm not letting people bring me down on it - that's a sweet phone at a sweet price and I'm pumped! :)
    HTC evo 4g LTe............No removable battery = FAIL ! ! ! ! !

WINNER = Iphone or any other phone

Yeah, that iPhone's removable battery really helps it win that battle... :rolleyes:
    If my memory serves me right, I do not believe that the Galaxy Nexus has Quick Settings enabled in the drop-down notification bar. Sense 4.0, it has ditched the Quick Settings thing too, unfortunately, according to screenshots I've seen.

------------------------------------------

Software:

Galaxy Nexus - Vanilla ICS.
    LTEvo - ICS, Sense 4.0 - Sense 4.0 review here.

Winner: LTEvo. I do like the few tweaks that HTC has included with Sense 4.0 and it does not appear to be extremely heavy.

--------------------------------------------------

Build Quality:

Galaxy Nexus - Plastic. It feels a little awkward to hold in one hand and reach across the screen.
    LTEvo - Black aluminum and plastic. Reviews say that it is "svelte" and fits well in the hand.

Winner: LTEvo. However, I do wish the whole body was aluminum with the Micro Arc Oxidation treatment (One S). Or at least the plastic was replaced with polycarbonate (One X). The Galaxy Nexus is a bit awkward in the hand and it's fully plastic.

-------------------------------------------------

Processor:

Galaxy Nexus - 1.2 GHz TI OMAP 4460 (dual-core, Cortex-A9, 45nm)
    LTEvo - 1.5 GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 "Krait" "S4" (dual-core, Cortex-A15, 28nm), integrated LTE

Winner: LTEvo. The Krait S4 chip is a beast from what I seen, and can handle anything thrown at it. Cortext-A15 and 28nm = less heat, less battery usage. The OMAP is simply aging.

Other Internals:

Galaxy Nexus - PowerVR SGX540 GPU, 1 GB RAM
    LTEvo - Adreno 225 GPU, 1 GB RAM

Winner: LTEvo. The PowerVR the Nexus packs is aged (hint: it's the same one as the one in the OG Galaxy S). I do wish the LTEvo had the Adreno 320 GPU, but I'm sure the 225 can handle well.

-----------------------------------------------

Screen:

Galaxy Nexus - 4.65" Super Amoled Screen, PenTile, 720p resolution, 316 ppi (claimed), 200 ppi (realistic - PenTile)
    LTEvo - 4.7" Super LCD 2 Screen, non-PenTile, 720p resolution, 312 ppi

Winner: LTEvo. Non-PenTile, larger screen? That 4.65" on the Galaxy Nexus includes the on-screen "softkeys" while the 4.7" on the LTEvo does not.

Storage:

Galaxy Nexus - 32 GB internal, no microSD slot
    LTEvo - 16 GB internal, microSD slot

Winner: LTEvo. Expandable storage = win. Yes, you can use Dropbox and such, but that is online storage.

------------------------------------------------

Battery:

Galaxy Nexus - 1850 mAh, removable
    LTEvo - 2000 mAh, non-removable

Winner: Galaxy Nexus. While the LTEvo has the larger battery, it is non-removable. :eek: While the Galaxy Nexus has a smaller battery, it is removable, giving you the option of an extended battery.

----------------------------------------------------

Camera:

Galaxy Nexus -
    • 5 MP rear, 1080p recording @ 24 fps, single flash
    • 1.3 MP front, 720p recording @30 fps
    LTEvo -
    • 8 MP rear, 1080p recording @ 30 fps, single flash, backside illumination, dedicated ImageChip
    • 1.3 MP front, 720p recording @ ? fps

Winner: LTEvo. The Galaxy Nexus camera is obviously lacking.