Recommended Satnav (GPS) program?

Search This thread

Lilinka

Feb 21, 2008
Louisville
Hey, I just upgraded to the official sprint rom and hate their satellite nav program, but anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has any recommended software for use with the phone, my friend recommends Garmin XT but I can't find for sure if it even works with the Mogul. Thanks in advance.

RikoNaz

Oct 3, 2006
Hey, I just upgraded to the official sprint rom and hate their satellite nav program, but anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has any recommended software for use with the phone, my friend recommends Garmin XT but I can't find for sure if it even works with the Mogul. Thanks in advance.

Garmin XT works perfectly with the mogul. i have it on mines, you dont even need to use the GPS Launcher. it detects it automatically. i also have tomtom 6 navigator on mines as well. it works well too, but you have to use a gps launcher with that one.

whatsit

Nov 30, 2007
Garmin XT works perfectly with the mogul. i have it on mines, you dont even need to use the GPS Launcher. it detects it automatically. i also have tomtom 6 navigator on mines as well. it works well too, but you have to use a gps launcher with that one.

Could you comment on whether or not Garmin XT has text-to-speech for street names? During my limited experience with TomTom (on a friend's phone), I noticed that TomTom didn't have this feature (or it wasn't turned on by default). Does Garmin XT announce street names?

Thanks.

Last edited:

dbrown2

Jan 15, 2008
WEST COLUMBIA
NO, it does not have this feature or none that I can see. But it does work great, I think I like tom tom for some of the other features like advanced routing and I think the maps tom tom are more accurate. For example I get a lock at my house and it says that I am at 1057 and should be 1017.

But for the most part is works great.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Here is another vote for Garmin XT...
It does not read out the street names but I have found that I don't really need stephen hawkings telling me what the name of the street is as long as it is telling me when to make the turn! LOL

The Garmin also does a better job on streets with two names which is common in rural areas...

I live on a street that is a county road AND a state highway...
In Tom Tom I had to use the county road to enter in addresses but with Garmin it would take either street name and still find it.

There are a few nav proggies that do read names out to you but I don't think any of them have the other features and huge POI database of Garmin or Tom Tom.

I have both of those installed (8GB SD Card) and I have to say I never use the Tom Tom just the Garmin!

pakka008

Mar 4, 2008
Quick question

Here is another vote for Garmin XT...
It does not read out the street names but I have found that I don't really need stephen hawkings telling me what the name of the street is as long as it is telling me when to make the turn! LOL

The Garmin also does a better job on streets with two names which is common in rural areas...

I live on a street that is a county road AND a state highway...
In Tom Tom I had to use the county road to enter in addresses but with Garmin it would take either street name and still find it.

There are a few nav proggies that do read names out to you but I don't think any of them have the other features and huge POI database of Garmin or Tom Tom.

I have both of those installed (8GB SD Card) and I have to say I never use the Tom Tom just the Garmin!

Hi,

Please bare with me as I am very new to this.
I got my new Mogul last week and I do have unlimited internet and text msg on my plan. Is that sufficient to get me going with GPS? Or will I be billed for using GPS on my Mogul(Sprint)? Pls let me know as I am very much interested in using GPS.

Thx in adv.

dbrown2

Jan 15, 2008
WEST COLUMBIA
Is that sufficient to get me going with GPS? Or will I be billed for using GPS on my Mogul(Sprint)? Pls let me know as I am very much interested in using GPS.

You really don't need either to use GPS unless you are going to use google maps or ms live. Then you would need internet connection.

Garmin, IGO, Tom Tom and others use the gps receiver in the phone that uses the sats in the sky without the need for monthly fees. So if you only wanted to use the phone and gps (no internet or sms) then you would not need a data plan or sms plan.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Hi,

Please bare with me as I am very new to this.
I got my new Mogul last week and I do have unlimited internet and text msg on my plan. Is that sufficient to get me going with GPS? Or will I be billed for using GPS on my Mogul(Sprint)? Pls let me know as I am very much interested in using GPS.

Thx in adv.

If you have unlimited Data package then you can use pretty much any GPS program you want. No extra charges at all! They don't charge for the use of the GPS and you only need the data connection if you use a program that downloads maps on the fly. (Google or MS). I personally don't like that because if I happen to get to an area where the data service isn't available you won't get a map until you get back into a data service area.

A program like Garmin and Tom Tom will also use data connections if you have them but that is only to download updated traffic data. Both Garmin and TT store the maps on the device. If you have a large SD card (like my 8GB) you can store the entire North America map with all the POI data which takes up about 2GB (a little less) of space. IF you don't have a lot of storage space you will have to download a partial map that covers the area your going to be driving in. May seem like a pain but it makes the operation a lot better to have the maps local and always available.

IF you have good storage space and unlimited Data, then your pretty much set. Make your choice based on the features of the program.
If you want to get a feel for each go to your local electronics store and try out the standalone TomTom and Garmin units. They pretty much run the same software (similar) to what you'll get on the PPC.

Google and MS are free so you can easily try them too if you want.

I personally love my Garmin. I bought the GPS10 and it works great. But don't buy the SD card versions...Get the CD which will allow you to install on the PC any SD card instead. Then you can install to any size SD card you want with plenty of room for other things as well!

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
bpratt - Absolutely no issues installing GXT on a 6800 but it does require at least a 2GB+ memory card to store the maps and program. With GTX you don't actually install it onto the device it really installs into the memory card. When you put the memory card into the device it then adds the bits it needs to the device and runs. In fact you can use that card in any WM device that Accepts SD memory and it will install and work as long as that device has GPS capability.

Get the CD version of it though. More flexible installation options.

Authentisketch -No Garmin isn't free. At least not legally free. I got it with the Garmin Bluetooth GPS10 unit for $119 on Ebay.

GhettoBSD

Oct 9, 2007
i've been running google maps on mine. It has a tracking option (gps) and it's pretty good. Pretty scary actually. To be honest, not only did it find where i live easy enough, the address, BUT ALSO THE FREAKING APARTMENT UNIT! That last bit bothers me so much. I've never been a "ohhhh tin foil time" but that, how does it know what unit i live in???

google maps for mobile FTW

http://www.google.com/mobile/gmm/stp-js.html

Jun 26, 2006
I used Iguidance 3.0 w/ google maps today. It's a darn good combination
if you dont' have a lot of storage space. for my area, VA/DC/MD
program and maps only take up 79 megabytes on my 2 gb storage card.

this setup means i dont' have to store PIO i can look up the latest with google maps,
and copy the address over into iguidance.

The only thing is, when it reads directions, it pauses between words.
in..200..yards...turn... left I hope there is a mod to fix that...

the iguidance cab file is only like 13k.