[SCRIPT] DROID 4 Utility XT894 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!)

Search This thread

mattlgroff

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
DroidRazrUtilityLogo.png
This is ONLY for the DROID 4 XT894. Do NOT use this on anything else!

DROID 4 Utility XT894Jellybean
Use a Download Manager such as "Orbit Download Manager" for best downloading results.

Mirrors:
Dev-Host
Batakang

Filesize: 497 MB (521,766,988 bytes)
MD5: B8E86DDCC3C59571E7AB086BE13BD89D

- Windows Instructions
Extract .zip to its own folder on the Desktop.
Install the required drivers. The folder with the drivers is called "Drivers [WINDOWS ONLY]" and is included in the Utility folder.
Double click the ".bat" file. This will be called "WindowsUtility.bat" the image is just for reference.

YOrlfVS.png

- Mac & Linux Instructions

Extract the .zip to any folder you like, the /Downloads/ or /Desktop/ folder should work just fine.
Open a Terminal window. (On Mac: Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
Learn your 'sudo' password. This is almost always your Admin password on a Mac computer. On Linux you should already know what this is, its yours account password if your account is an admin as well.
Type the following code into the Terminal Windows, places where it says ***DRAG HERE*** are telling you to simply drag the folder there. For example: cd ***DRAG FOLDER HERE*** then press 'Enter' after each line.
Code:
cd ***DRAG UNZIPPED UTILITY FOLDER HERE***

chmod +x ./LinuxMacUtility.sh

bash ./LinuxMacUtility.sh

You will be asked for your sudo password at least once in the Utility process, so make sure you followed the instructions to learn it.

Functions of the DROID 4 Utility XT894 Jellybean:
Code:
 1  Flash Official Jellybean Firmware (Wipe Data)
  2  Flash Official Jellybean Firmware (No Data Wipe)
  3  Razr Blade: Motorola Droid Razr 4.1 Root Exploit by djrbliss
  4  Install Safestrap 3 App by Hashcode.

Number 1 Explained -- This option requires your phone be in AP Fastboot mode. It will flash the official Jellybean firmware to your device and will wipe data.

Number 2 Explained -- This option requires your phone be in AP Fastboot mode. It will flash the official Jellybean firmware to your device and will NOT wipe data.

Number 3 Explained -- This is Dan Rosenberg's DROID RAZR 4.1 Jellybean exploit called 'RAZR Blade'. This option requires your phone to be booted normally, with USB Debugging enabled. (This is working on the DROID 4 as well.)

Number 4 Explained -- This option requires your phone to be booted normally, with USB Debugging enabled. It will install Hashcode's App for Safestrap 3.11.

Remember, do not run this utility unless your phone is at 100% battery OR you have bought yourself one of Team Black Hat's Factory-Style Programming Adapters.

Thanks to Hashcode for Safestrap and Djrbliss for RAZR_Blade!

korngames

Mar 13, 2010
Root failing.

Hello,

First and foremost I'd like to thank you for this utility. 4.1 flashed without a hitch! Unfortunately, I am unable to get the root to work. I've attached the text from where it started to error.

The root is failing here, after phase 2. Any ideas?:

/system/bin/sh: can't create /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataCle
arJarDex.jar: Permission denied
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase four...
3559 KB/s (543080 bytes in 0.149s)
3597 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.507s)
3144 KB/s (476557 bytes in 0.148s)
2308 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.027s)
[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
/system/bin/sh: can't create /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataCle
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

mattlgroff

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
Hello,

First and foremost I'd like to thank you for this utility. 4.1 flashed without a hitch! Unfortunately, I am unable to get the root to work. I've attached the text from where it started to error.

The root is failing here, after phase 2. Any ideas?:

[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase four...
3559 KB/s (543080 bytes in 0.149s)
3597 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.507s)
3144 KB/s (476557 bytes in 0.148s)
2308 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.027s)
[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Try wiping and trying again. I was just told by a user on DroidRzr that it worked on the D4 OTA.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lodxcol

Aug 15, 2011
When I try this on my Droid 4 with the latest OTA JB update from Verizon, the terminal gets stuck at "waiting for device". This has happened previously when I tried to use the ICS Utility when my phone still had ICS. I've tried on several Windows PC's and none have seemed to recognized my device even with the latest Motorola drivers installed (when I went to install the drivers included in the JB Utility, I was alerted I already had newer versions). I have USB debugging enabled on my device. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Reactions: wizkidzulu

ovelayer

Mar 19, 2011
spokane
i noticed the root method used with this utility uses a different superuser
when i used this and tried to use either the verizon tether or wifi tether for root users it wouldn't work because of the su used. But when i downloaded and used a different razor root script that installed supersu everything works great
just a fyi

i used this for rooting
http://vulnfactory.org/public/razr_blade.zip

also using this there is no need to put your device in mtp mode

Last edited:

dbreezy187

Apr 15, 2012
Somerset
When I used it on ICS that was my issue.... as far as I know yes MTP... are you using the same USB cable each time... have you checked device manager to unsure your phone is connected properly... ... ... yes this will root...

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

lodxcol

Aug 15, 2011
When I used it on ICS that was my issue.... as far as I know yes MTP... are you using the same USB cable each time... have you checked device manager to unsure your phone is connected properly... ... ... yes this will root...

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

How do I check "device manager"? I'm reading some stuff that leads me to believe Motorola is quite strict about the use of their cables. Some say you may need an actual Motorola branded cable to get the device to connect. Where can I get an official Motorola micro USB cord?

chewy74

Jul 4, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Thanks for the root suggestion. Worked great and Verizon tether started up with no problems.

when i used this and tried to use either the verizon tether or wifi tether for root users it wouldn't work because of the su used. But when i downloaded and used a different razor root script that installed supersu everything works great
just a fyi

i used this for rooting

jkieffer46

Dec 15, 2010
i've updated to the ota and have tried to root using this method on both camera and mtp, then wiped and tried again. still no root. phase one fails. used two different usb's, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers twice. whats goin on?

lodxcol

Aug 15, 2011
how do i actually open device manager. i see no application after i install it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DroidRazrUtilityLogo.png
    This is ONLY for the DROID 4 XT894. Do NOT use this on anything else!

DROID 4 Utility XT894Jellybean
    Use a Download Manager such as "Orbit Download Manager" for best downloading results.

Mirrors:
    Dev-Host
    Batakang

Filesize: 497 MB (521,766,988 bytes)
    MD5: B8E86DDCC3C59571E7AB086BE13BD89D

- Windows Instructions
    Extract .zip to its own folder on the Desktop.
    Install the required drivers. The folder with the drivers is called "Drivers [WINDOWS ONLY]" and is included in the Utility folder.
    Double click the ".bat" file. This will be called "WindowsUtility.bat" the image is just for reference.

YOrlfVS.png

- Mac & Linux Instructions

Extract the .zip to any folder you like, the /Downloads/ or /Desktop/ folder should work just fine.
    Open a Terminal window. (On Mac: Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
    Learn your 'sudo' password. This is almost always your Admin password on a Mac computer. On Linux you should already know what this is, its yours account password if your account is an admin as well.
    Type the following code into the Terminal Windows, places where it says ***DRAG HERE*** are telling you to simply drag the folder there. For example: cd ***DRAG FOLDER HERE*** then press 'Enter' after each line.
    Code:
    cd ***DRAG UNZIPPED UTILITY FOLDER HERE***

chmod +x ./LinuxMacUtility.sh

bash ./LinuxMacUtility.sh

You will be asked for your sudo password at least once in the Utility process, so make sure you followed the instructions to learn it.

Functions of the DROID 4 Utility XT894 Jellybean:
    Code:
     1  Flash Official Jellybean Firmware (Wipe Data)
      2  Flash Official Jellybean Firmware (No Data Wipe)
      3  Razr Blade: Motorola Droid Razr 4.1 Root Exploit by djrbliss
      4  Install Safestrap 3 App by Hashcode.

Number 1 Explained -- This option requires your phone be in AP Fastboot mode. It will flash the official Jellybean firmware to your device and will wipe data.

Number 2 Explained -- This option requires your phone be in AP Fastboot mode. It will flash the official Jellybean firmware to your device and will NOT wipe data.

Number 3 Explained -- This is Dan Rosenberg's DROID RAZR 4.1 Jellybean exploit called 'RAZR Blade'. This option requires your phone to be booted normally, with USB Debugging enabled. (This is working on the DROID 4 as well.)

Number 4 Explained -- This option requires your phone to be booted normally, with USB Debugging enabled. It will install Hashcode's App for Safestrap 3.11.

Remember, do not run this utility unless your phone is at 100% battery OR you have bought yourself one of Team Black Hat's Factory-Style Programming Adapters.

Thanks to Hashcode for Safestrap and Djrbliss for RAZR_Blade!
    I repacked the Utility to include the latest stock ROM v. 188 and SafeStrap v. 3.73, ofc updated bat and sh scripts as well.

You can download it from my site: Updated D4 Utility [503 MB (528*096*468 bytes)] and md5 (f5e66d598ab69c4fd127c36d87efc392).

EDIT: Or from Dev-Host :) Not sure what their policies are, how long will it stay there - uploaded anonymously.

I might not be able to keep it a my site too long though. @MattLgrof would you like to replace your original utility with this version? I don't need any credit, just don't want to throw my work away :)

It's virus-checked with up-to-date Avast, working on a freshly re-installed computer, so it should be risk-free :)
    just a fyi

i used this for rooting

Good call.... I had SS on the brain. I meant Saferoot. thank you my friend.:)
    had a little time so I made [Video] Droid 4 root with SafeRoot and installing SafeStrap
    Use Razr Blade root for D4 on jellybean (4.2-4.3) link
    Use Razr Edge root for Droid 4 with ics (4.0.X) link
    Use Motofail for Droid 4 on gingerbread (2.3.X) link

Troubleshooting Razr Blade Root
    check settings
    -Settings > Apps > Smart Actions > Clear data
    -Settings > Storage > ≡ Button > USB computer connection > Select "Media device (MTP)
    -Run the exploit again.
    every time it says "rebooting" as soon as the device goes off, disconnect usb, waited for device to fully boot before reconnecting usb and then it will continue the process.

It's not unusual for virus scanners, to see rooting tools as viruses or trojans, because they often are.
    a Virus scanner may remove the exploit used in gaining root access, without any notification
    If rooting is failing, try turning off virus protection before downloading and during rooting.