Droid 3 has been rooted

Search This thread

psouza4

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
I'm at 70% after 1 hour and 20 min. extremely worse after removing bloat. My battery used to last at least 12 hours
You're doing something wrong, then. Find out what apps are using your battery... try my bloat removal script instead of trying to hack it manually (if you only remove part of DLNA, for example, the rest of the services left behind go haywire). Rooted, bloat removed here, getting upwards of 50+ hours on a charge now. Overnight (~6 hours) went from 99% to 97% battery (extended battery) -- course spent a half hour in bed checking my e-mail, social sites, etc. before finally getting in the shower and proceeding with my day, which drained it a bit more, but still 90% by the time I got to work. 10% total drain in nearly 9 hours.

CAP2011082907511.png

Last edited:

volcanomike

Apr 29, 2010
I used your script, removed everything. My phone gets hot on the back. Battery drains fast. Highest user of battery is cell stand by at 51%

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

psouza4

Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
I used your script, removed everything. My phone gets hot on the back. Battery drains fast.
Could be something else chewing at your phone then. You aren't trying to underclock are you? SetCPU doesn't work on our phone (CPU will spike over limits) and can actually lock you up if you try to use other governors... make sure this isn't your problem.

Highest user of battery is cell stand by at 51%
As mentioned earlier, this is a wonderful, wonderful thing. Think about it: if it were at 100% that means that NOTHING ELSE is eating up battery and that your phone was just idle 100% of the time. Phone idle and cell standby should go up if other apps/processes on your system are using fewer resources. That 100% of your battery usage needs to add up somewhere.

Matthileo

Apr 19, 2009
Wichita, KS
You're doing something wrong, then. Find out what apps are using your battery... try my bloat removal script instead of trying to hack it manually (if you only remove part of DLNA, for example, the rest of the services left behind go haywire). Rooted, bloat removed here, getting upwards of 50+ hours on a charge now. Overnight (~6 hours) went from 99% to 97% battery (extended battery) -- course spent a half hour in bed checking my e-mail, social sites, etc. before finally getting in the shower and proceeding with my day, which drained it a bit more, but still 90% by the time I got to work. 10% total drain in nearly 9 hours.

CAP2011082907511.png

Do you have *any* apps?

[sent from my droid]

psouza4

Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
Do you have *any* apps?
Oi, lots. From the screen shot alone you can see Battery Circle and Tasker running.

Here's a full list of installed, non-frozen user apps on my phone:

2X Client, AdFree, Adobe Reader, ADW Launcher, AppInventorExtender, Appstore (amazon's), AudioManager Pro, AudoManager Skin: Transparent, Autostarts, Barcode Scanner, Battery Circle, BatteryCalibration, Beautiful Widgets, Beautiful Widgets Animations Addon, Black Glass ADW Theme, Blue (plugin for Dolphin browser), Blue Neon Theme, CacheMate, Calculator (the Windows-style one from an XDA thread), Captain America + game content, CatLog, Chainfire3D + pro, ConnectBot, Dario Theme Go Launcher EX, DeskSMS, Document Scanner, Documents To Go + key, Dolphin Browser HD, Dragon Fly!, drocap2, Dungeon Hunter, Facebook, Falling Fred, Fieldrunners, Gangstar, Google Reader, Google Services (plugin for Dolphin browser), Google+, GRave Defense HD, Guerrilla Bob THD, Guitar Hero 5, Handcent Font Package3, Handcent SMS, Hero of PSarta, HexDefense, Honeycomb GO Launcher EX theme, Homecomb Theme (ADW), HootSuite, HW Solitaire, IMDb, Majesty, MinFreeManager, MoboPlayer, MyAppSharer, NES.emu, Nexus S Gingerbread (ADW theme), Notes, Nova, PAC-MAN, Pandora, Plants Vs Zombies, Plate Theme 4 GO Launcher EX, Plex for Android, Power Widget, Privacy Blocker, psx4droid, QuickPic, Root Explorer, Sandstorm, Script Manager ads, SD-Booster, Snes9x EX, Spare Parts Ad Supported, Speed Dial (plugin for Dolphin browser), Synker, SystsemPanel, Tasker, TeamViewer 6, Theme Windows 7 GO Launcher EX, Titanium Backup Pro, Trillian, Tumblr, UNO, Words Free, XBMC Remote, XDA, ZDefense, Zombie Nights GO Launcher EX.

I have a lot of GO Launcher themes, but the GO Launcher itself is frozen, so it's not listed above. I can't create custom shortcuts that point to activities/intents, so it's in limbo at the moment.

Home screen is obviously ADW Launcher. I use 6x6 grids and only two screens. I have five widgets (Beautiful Widgets, Power Control, Synker, and two AudioManager profiles), 17 app shortcuts, and two folders on these screens.

Tasker automatically turns off WiFi when I'm at work and back on when I'm at home. At night, syncing and 3G radio is completely disabled (cell/voice service only).

Let me know if you want more info, though we should probably branch out to another thread.

psouza4

Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
So did they just not run because 3g and sync were off?

[sent from my droid]
They do... but while the web was disabled, nothing can sync. That did save some battery. The cell radio was of course on, my alarm did go off, and Tasker runs all the time to automate the phone.

During the day when I have 3G on and lightly use my phone (for example, at the office), I will use about 20% battery over the course of 12 hours (I work Mon-Thu 7am-6pm and commute a half-hour each way).

volcanomike

Apr 29, 2010
Well I fixed my problem I guess I froze something that made the system go crazy and eat battery like no other. Unfrozen everything now i'm back to normal.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

mwmeyer

Dec 29, 2010
Music & TaskKiller?

Let me add my voice to the chorus of thanks for this.

What gets me is that nobody else has mentioned fixing the two things that bothered me most about the phone: The pre-installed music player and task manager.

The task manager never did anything but interrupt things (like audio players and book readers) that I didn't want interrupted. It sometimes stopped audio playback, and showed up on top of the book I was reading, doing nothing but annoying me:mad:.

The music player kept stealing bluetooth control events from other applications. Worse yet, it can't talk to Google's Music service, so I needed to install an updated version of it - which didn't replace the one on the phone. So I'd be listening to (say) podcasts, and try to pause it with the bluetooth control. The original Music app would start instead, providing both audio streams. I'd pull down the notification bar and tap it, and it would bring up the updated Music app, doing me no good at all:confused:.

The first thing I did was freeze both of those with TB (which I had already installed). Bluetooth audio control now works much better:), and that silly task killer hasn't been back yet:D.

Mucho Gracious!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instructions for rooting: http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2011/08/25/rooting-the-droid-3/

As promised, I have successfully rooted the Droid 3. I still have never physically touched a Droid 3 phone.

If you appreciate this work, feel free to donate to KrazyKrivda so I can get a phone out of this deal:
    https://www.wepay.com/donate/KrazyKrivda

Pic:
    http://twitter.com/#!/KrazyKrivda/status/106765804560855040/photo/1

Enjoy,
    Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
    eerything seems to have worked i put in all the commands and rebooted when told and at the end i got a root prompt i installed superuser and it told me the binary isnt installed so it made an update.zip but i cant extract it to put it where it goes, can i use the stock recovery i doubt it as its not signed by moto

dled root checker and it told me i dont have root

suggestions? my gut is telling me i just need to get the binary in the right place

I just grabed su from /system/xbin on my Droid 1 and Superuser.apk from wherever it was on my Droid1 and used adb to push them to /sdcard on my Droid3. After getting root at ADB, I did:

mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/system /system
    cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin
    chmod 4777 /system/xbin/su
    mount -oremount,ro /dev/block/system /system

And then using a file explorer, I installed the Superuser.apk after allowing sofrware from unknown sources.
    as root, with the su binary (from another phone) in root of your your internal memory:
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/system /system
    cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 su

edit: haha beaten to it
    Anyone still looking, here's a link to the instructions as well as su and superuser.apk

http://channelandroid.com/2011/08/25/droid3-with-superuser-and-su/

@patfactorx are you sure you followed the first set instructions verbatim?

First you need to

Code:
    mv /data/local/12m /data/local/12m.bak
    ln -s /data /data/local/12m

Then reboot. Then you could issue the following commands:

Code:
    rm /data/local/12m
    mv /data/local/12m.bak /data/local/12m
    mv /data/local.prop /data/local.prop.bak
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_usb=0" > /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_netmon_ih=0" >> /data/local.prop
    echo "ro.sys.atvc_allow_res_core=0" >> /data/local.prop