[APP] Rotation Locker v1.4 - Landscape & Portrait lock

Search This thread

Lesicnik1

Feb 12, 2011
Slovenj Gradec
I have an idea for this app. Enable it to launch by long-pressing the search button (Like Voice Search, messaging apps), so that way you can launch it from almost any app :D

Se7eN43

Mar 10, 2008
awesome :D
have you thought about adding your code to cyanogenmod so it can be build into the ROM?

love this app. if you can in any way keep it from overriding the launcher's orientation setting, ie. adwlauncher, and get this to be a notification power switch for cyanogenmod roms, would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your work.

dumraden

Feb 18, 2008
This is SPARTAAAA!!
Pretty damn amazing. Works perfectly on Xperia Active.

I am looking forward to use it in a Rom I am tweaking. Will provide the credit you deserve ofcourse.

Is there a way to make it autostart and set to auto?

madmack

On my first use of the app, I definitely expected "Auto" to be the as same going back to normal auto-rotate, but that's not what I observed. Instead, for the limited apps I have installed that do force orientation, each app except for the stock lock screen all rotate when I physically shift between portrait and landscape.

Additionally, I actually expected your "Portrait" to be different than having the auto-rotate option unchecked in Android (i.e. that your Portrait setting would force Portrait on apps that are normally landscape-only), and Rotation Locker does behave as I expected here. (But different than you intended?)

So I'm wondering if there's something different on my phone (Galaxy Nexus rooted, but still stock CDMA 4.0.2, and not a whole lot of apps installed) compared to where you did your development.

Let me know if there are any particular scenarios you'd like me to run through to maybe give you a better understanding of what's going on.

One thing that may be of interest to you is that the behavior of my one normally-landscape-only app changes depending on when I switch settings. If the app is already running when I switch to portrait in Rotation Locker, the app occupies the top half the screen in the proper aspect ratio, but with its right side cut off and black space on the bottom half. However, if I'm already in portrait and I start the app up, it stretches to fit the portrait screen in a distorted aspect ratio.

And I should emphasize, it's easy enough for me to go into settings and kill Rotation Locker to restore Android's default behavior, but it would be nice for new users not to have to go through this process of figuring out to return to "normal" behavior.

I could program Portrait to be enforced and similar to landscape mode. but i find that a bit "too strong". Ideally, I want portrait to be what the default portrait mode in Android is. (i.e. allows landscape modes to be landscape).

I'm not sure why the auto behavior is not behaving as the default auto-rotate option in android. :confused: I'm certainly not able to replicate this. On my device, click on Auto rotate brings the device back to the normal state. When I flip my phone, the device auto rotates only on apps that support both orientation modes.

awesome :D
have you thought about adding your code to cyanogenmod so it can be build into the ROM?
n

What am using is a hack. I don't think it fits into the cyanogenmod standard, lol. If I do add it to CM, it'll be somewhere deeper in the framework but that's beyond my interest at this point.

I have an idea for this app. Enable it to launch by long-pressing the search button (Like Voice Search, messaging apps), so that way you can launch it from almost any app :D

good idea. i'll add it to the to-do list.

love this app. if you can in any way keep it from overriding the launcher's orientation setting, ie. adwlauncher, and get this to be a notification power switch for cyanogenmod roms, would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your work.

I can't really make exceptions for apps (launchers). The app, in its very simple form, will override the entire orientation to landscape mode.

Pretty damn amazing. Works perfectly on Xperia Active.

I am looking forward to use it in a Rom I am tweaking. Will provide the credit you deserve ofcourse.

Is there a way to make it autostart and set to auto?

not at the moment. but i'm planning on adding a locale plugin hopefully when i get sometime. you can then do all kind of neat little things like that :)

Happy new year everyone :)

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Just what I needed. I'm running ICS on a Galaxy tab and rotation is a little patchy at best. This app solves the problem perfectly.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

kobolt99

Dec 9, 2010
Most of the times I'm using the phone in portrait mode and only change it to landscape when using the keyboard, do you know if there's any app that can allow me to that? to always keep it in portrait except for the keyboard...

madmack

auto mode works irrespective of auto rotation on or off
potrait mode works only when auto rotation is off when on does not lock landscapemode works irrespective of auto rotation on or off

sgs2

I can't decipher your text :eek:

I don't have auto rotation on or off in my app. anything you do in rotation locker will override whatever you have in Android unless you choose "portrait" or "auto" in rotation locker. then you can switch the android settings and you should get expected results.

When select "landscape" in rotation locker, nothing you can do in Android to unlock that. It is a "strong" lock if you will. You'll need to select portrait or auto to get out of it.

I'm guessing the app is working after all but then again, I'm not sure if any of that answers your question(s)?

ammenRA

Jan 7, 2012
great app! but at home screen and in menu apps it took more than 10 sec to auto rotate but fast and smooth when inside app.

desire s with Endy rom ver 3.3

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
Just found this and it is sweet, especially when running Android x86 in Virtualbox. It can be a real pain when an app flips the screen in the emulator.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone.

I wrote this app to allow a user to lock the screen rotation in landscape, portrait or auto. The app is very simple, when you click on it, you're faced with these three options.

Long press on Landscape if you want the app to run as a background service (only use this if landscape mode terminates on its own).

I searched on the Market for an app that would lock the screen in landscape mode and found only one paid app that does it but actually runs a service continuously in the background regardless of the orientation mode. This app is free and the background service is optional :)

so without further ado . . .

new1.png

new2.png

Change log:

v1.4.2 Dec 30 2013
    + Make apk available to google TV devices

v1.4 Nov 20 2012
    + Added a footer note to expose persistent mode better

v1.3 Mar 9 2012
    + Added a widget that will lock into whatever your current phone's orientaion is. Useful for reverse landscape for example

v1.2.2 Feb 23 2012
    + Short click on portrait/auto will behave like default android portrait/auto. If you want to enforce "auto" long press on it (that way, even the apps that don't go into landscape will).

v1.2.1 Feb 9 2012
    + Added ability to run a persistent background service for both Portrait and Auto modes.

v1.2 Jan 2 2012
    + Locale plugin.
    + Long press on search button to run app.

v1.1 Dec 29 2011
    Added ability to long press on Landscape to enforce a background service. Only use this if landscape mode seems to exit suddenly and abruptly.

v1.0. Dec 27 2011
    -Initial release
    Thanks for this great app, works great on Samsung Galaxy Note to keep it in landscape mode (with LauncherPro). =D

ok folks, 1.3 is out. changelog is in the OP. Enjoy !
    The developer of the app is trying to have as few options as possible. Minimal features.

He would have to add an option menu just for your option.. I highly doubt he is going to do it

that is correct.

this app is staying in this minimalist design.

I'm attaching what you're requested here anyhow amigo. it just won't make it to the main version or the market one for the reasons stated above ^^.

enjoy
    I'm interested in the same thing. The reason i like this app is because it will rotate the stock launcher to landscape when you pic "auto" on ICS. Theres no search button to toggle things with on the galaxy nexus, so an update for this device would be welcomed. If i pick auto the phone forgets it very quickly since it doesn't stay in memory.

i'll implement a long press for both portrait and auto. thanks for your suggestion guys.

Love the app man! will include in all my future roms if you dont mind.

One suggestion.. " Lock here " option. to lock it at any position. (upside-down landscape for example)

you sure can ! feel free to bundle it with any rom. thanks for asking :)

about the suggestion, I think I'm keeping the minimalist UI for the moment. I envisioned this thing as being so simple so it's staying that way for the moment. I got some emails from users wanting to have it in "reverse landscape" so yea.. decisions decisions :rolleyes:.

did you guys know that you can actually add a tasker task that flips Rotation Locker into an orientation, and then use Widgetsoid to add that permanently to your pull-down notification window ? I discovered that today and it's simply brilliant ! all you gotta do is simply pull down the menu, click on the custom buttons that you create and bingo, locking into landscape is now doable from anywhere for those of us without a search key to long press on.
    Confirmed working on the O2X. Thanks for releasing your app free mate. Really appreciate it. You deserve 5 stars... ;)