Google music outside the US, now even easier!

Search This thread

aindow

Jun 5, 2010
Leyland
With all the negativity about google music not being available in the UK, or outside the US in general, i figured this may be good news for some here.

I'm not sure if this has been covered before or not so here goes.

I basically found a way to get the google music service working in the UK, no fake google accounts, settings to change or anything like that is needed here at all.

If you just try and go to music.google.com from outside the US you normally get a message saying it's unavailable so here i tell you how to get around this for quick and easy access to the ability to store 20000 songs for free.

1. Go to www.unblock-us.com and sign up for a free 7 day trial by giving them your email address. This site is great for also accessing other US content such as US netflix and all sorts of other things outside the US (I actually subscribe to this service as i think it's brilliant, others may not want to do so).

2. Update your DNS settings on your computer/laptop/router as per the guides on the above site.

3. Once up and running on the Unblock-US DNS, fire up your favourite browser and go to music.google.com and sign in. NOTE you will no longer get the message saying it's for users in the US only.

4. Set up Google music, download the music manager to your computer and start uploading music.

5. You can now remove the Unblock-US DNS settings and go back to using your normal settings. Your Google account will still work even if using a non US internet connection and you will be able to access the Google music site from any computer.

6. Enjoy Google music anywhere, on any connection.

Please hit the thanks button if this helps.

Rik.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
You can also use the TOR browser, keep refreshing until you have a US based proxy then just navigate to Google music and register your account. Once you've registered you can use Google music anywhere (normal browser, android app, etc)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: d.-.k

Nexus Phreak

Jul 5, 2012
LX

I basically found a way to get the google music service working in the UK, no fake google accounts, settings to change or anything like that is needed here at all.

If you just try and go to music.google.com from outside the US you normally get a message saying it's unavailable so here i tell you how to get around this for quick and easy access to the ability to store 20000 songs for free.

1. Go to www.unblock-us.com and sign up for a free 7 day trial by giving them your email address. This site is great for also accessing other US content such as US netflix and all sorts of other things outside the US (I actually subscribe to this service as i think it's brilliant, others may not want to do so).

2. Update your DNS settings on your computer/laptop/router as per the guides on the above site.

3. Once up and running on the Unblock-US DNS, fire up your favourite browser and go to music.google.com and sign in. NOTE you will no longer get the message saying it's for users in the US only.

4. Set up Google music, download the music manager to your computer and start uploading music.

5. You can now remove the Unblock-US DNS settings and go back to using your normal settings. Your Google account will still work even if using a non US internet connection and you will be able to access the Google music site from any computer.

Rik.
You can do all of that using way simpler methods via Hotspot Shield or a web based proxy (e.g. hidemyass.com).

I'm pretty sure this subject has been covered before here on XDA, but thanks anyway. :good:

Reactions: rmourar

gbroon

Apr 3, 2011
Had access for a while, been able to do this since the day it launched. I even managed to get some of the free music.

As someone who occasionally buys music (I know some must think I'm mad to pay for it) I'd like the option of being able to use the store. Its no problem though i just buy elsewhere and let my PC add it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

TonyHoyle

Mar 2, 2009
Manchester
I'd probably see if tunlr.net works first.. no point in paying for something you can get free.

I wish google would start rolling out some of this stuff.. they put all these features into jelly bean then when you run the OS you get the same old..

markp1989

Feb 2, 2011
London / Swindon
when I was signing up I just used a SSH tunnel to a (virtual)server I rent in the US worked fine.

I would also like the ability to be able to actually purchase music from the google store, my music collection is in dire need of an update.

brb123

Feb 15, 2010
Is it also possible to get google magazines and google books working?
Google music is up and running at my phone for about 5 months now.

Blefish

Aug 19, 2011
Market Unlocker is the easiest in my opinion. Pro version fetches proxy automatically and all you have to do is turn it on.

Sent from my U8800 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: maped

neilthehobo

Jul 1, 2012
Nuneaton
I also used TunnelBear. Really easy and quick to setup. I had tried the Tor browser before but didn't have any joy. So I recommend TunnelBear.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

Reactions: BrandoHD

AleT

Jun 7, 2006
London
Yes, +1 for tunnel bear. Tor browser only ever set my location to anonymous proxy. Funnily enough Google wasn't fooled!

twistedh

Sep 10, 2011
Copenhagen
Is it also possible to get google magazines and google books working?
Google music is up and running at my phone for about 5 months now.

The apps themselves work, but whenever I try to make purchases, it tells me that I need a US credit/debit card

But I have been trying to get hold of some prepaid voucher american/canadian visas in order to counter this, but there don't seem to be any available to buy online.

So if any Americans fancy going to a local store for me and buying a couple, please do :) (will pay obviously...:cyclops:)

rcrd-pt

Dec 11, 2011
Yes, +1 for tunnel bear. Tor browser only ever set my location to anonymous proxy. Funnily enough Google wasn't fooled!

wow! thanks. i installed tunnel bear, registered in google music and then uninstaled tunnel bear and it works!
i'm in portugal using Google Music :)

thanks!

Last edited:

killa_byte

Oct 6, 2010
Manchester
is there a chance that once Google Music comes to the UK, users who used this work around could be affected from not using the UK service?

wmoore

Oct 2, 2011
Brisbane
The apps themselves work, but whenever I try to make purchases, it tells me that I need a US credit/debit card

But I have been trying to get hold of some prepaid voucher american/canadian visas in order to counter this, but there don't seem to be any available to buy online.

So if any Americans fancy going to a local store for me and buying a couple, please do :) (will pay obviously...:cyclops:)
I bought some music the other day with my Aussie credit card. I set a US address (hint: look up real estate sites for a genuine address :) ) and set this as my default shipping and billing address. You have to do this in http://wallet.google.com prior to logging on to http://music.google.com. Remember to reset this for your regular purchases through the Play Store.

adrianlorion

Aug 1, 2011
Caledon
I've had Google Music in Canada for months now. Used super hide ip and signed up.

I'm unsure if it's harder to sign up now then it was when I signed up.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Asus Transformer tf101

sith1970

Aug 25, 2012
Music uploaded not showing on tablet

Hi guys

I have a problem with this process. I used Tunnel Bear and i was able to install Music Manager without a glitch. As i type this my music library is uploading at a steady rate. I live in Spain (where the Nexus is available since just a couple of days, although no music service so far) but bought the Nexus 7 trough a friend in Canada a few weeks ago (could not wait, ha). The Google Music app is, therefore, preinstalled, but my music so far is not showing at all. There`s only a message to use USB to transfer music locally. I did try to sideload the app, but it did not make any difference. Same result rebooting the tablet. Nothing showing. So far i have about 100+ songs uploaded, but there`s nothing to show for in my tablet. Surely i`m doing something wrong?

Dainemeid

Feb 23, 2012
Hi guys

I have a problem with this process. I used Tunnel Bear and i was able to install Music Manager without a glitch. As i type this my music library is uploading at a steady rate. I live in Spain (where the Nexus is available since just a couple of days, although no music service so far) but bought the Nexus 7 trough a friend in Canada a few weeks ago (could not wait, ha). The Google Music app is, therefore, preinstalled, but my music so far is not showing at all. There`s only a message to use USB to transfer music locally. I did try to sideload the app, but it did not make any difference. Same result rebooting the tablet. Nothing showing. So far i have about 100+ songs uploaded, but there`s nothing to show for in my tablet. Surely i`m doing something wrong?

Got the exact same problem! Not working on nexus 7 with preinstalled music.app but its working on my galaxy s2 using the music.apk provided by xda!
Any solutions? Would be great to be able to use the app on nexus 7!

scarcry

Aug 31, 2012
Almere
OnePlus 7 Pro
Just picked up my Nexus 7 today on launch day in Holland and will definitely be trying any of the aforementioned options.
Thanks so much for the valuable info.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Jon565G

Nov 13, 2011
Sheffield
Got the exact same problem! Not working on nexus 7 with preinstalled music.app but its working on my galaxy s2 using the music.apk provided by xda!
Any solutions? Would be great to be able to use the app on nexus 7!

Have you both tried clearing the app data in settings? That should fix it

BTW, +1 for tunnel bear. I was trying for over an hour using various proxys, none worked. This did it in 2 mins. Got over 2 thousand songs on now, not even a 1/3 of the way through...... :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With all the negativity about google music not being available in the UK, or outside the US in general, i figured this may be good news for some here.

Rik.
    Guys,

What do you mean? Having the same issue as well. Google's getting smarter. :)

Just add your credit card and type:
    Name: Microsoft Corporation
    ZIP Code: 98052

That worked for me ;)
    I used tunnelbear a few weeks back. Was a painless installation, adequate speeds since I just had to accept the google music terms and conditions, painless removal from my computer and I was up and running with google music in 5 minutes or less. :D
    You can add a non-us card, using a us address, Google wallet won't check.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    You can also use the TOR browser, keep refreshing until you have a US based proxy then just navigate to Google music and register your account. Once you've registered you can use Google music anywhere (normal browser, android app, etc)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app