Jelly Bean (JB) for the HOX - OTA/Information/Update/ETAs/etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Diamondback

Retired Dev Committee Lead / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 17, 2010
virtuous-ten-studio.com
To somewhat control the the masses of Jelly bean threads that are currently arising, I made this thread to collect all talk about it.

Anything related to JB belongs in this thread. We don't want hundreds of threads with the same information, so please use this thread instead.

Yes I know I fooled you with the title, but I somehow need to get your attention :p

Any other JB threads will be closed to keep this froum clean.

Last edited:

shadehh

Mar 27, 2011
So here we have it, the galaxy nexus on JB. Incredibly smooth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3EXAFRxKQ , head over to the mini galaxy s 3 and the galaxy nexus comparison that begins at 3:50, you'll see how smooth the Nexus seems to be in comparison to the S3

I've got a question:

We all know the Sense itself is a bit of a power hog, not only the battery, but the interface as well. With all the changes implemented or the possibilities given to the developers with the introduction of Jelly Bean, is it in theory possible that we have an HTC Sense UI running as buttery smooth as the Galaxy Nexus's UI? Or are we all being hyped for nothing?

Even the browser experience on the Galaxy Nexus seems bad ass! If i recall correctly in the video i linked you to, zooms in and out of webpages without even the slightest bit of lag while the phone is loading. Not to mention scrolling on the page, simply incredible. This is something though that should be easily achievable on the One X. I'm just interested in the Sense UI atmm. It is beautiful but at the same time the stuttering gets on my nerves.

Last edited:

fridgie

Jan 26, 2012
Brisbane
So, is the jelly bean RUU out yet for my phone? I really want it and hate that HTC take so long to get updates to us I mean this is the bestest phone in the whole world but HTC really suck by not making it as good as it could or should be in my dreams with the fast updates and the s-off with unlocked bootloader and exquisite camera that compresses too much but the phone is really awesome so can you tell me when the udpate will be on my phone????

just jokes guys/gals,

Thanks to the OP for starting this. As a member on several other forums I cannot believe the amount of crap that gets posted on the one subject but in 74,365 different threads :rolleyes:

Even amongst XDA, (must admit I have limited myself to a few specific devices and not strayed too far), I am completely amazed at the people who refuse to search before posting or just blurt out any new thread when it comes to this particular phone. Just take a look at the s-off debacle FFS :mad:

Back on topic, I'm actually looking forward to the release of jelly bean for the HOX, fingers crossed we have been able to achieve s-off by then too :cool:

shadehh

Mar 27, 2011
So, is the jelly bean RUU out yet for my phone? I really want it and hate that HTC take so long to get updates to us I mean this is the bestest phone in the whole world but HTC really suck by not making it as good as it could or should be in my dreams with the fast updates and the s-off with unlocked bootloader and exquisite camera that compresses too much but the phone is really awesome so can you tell me when the udpate will be on my phone????

just jokes guys/gals,

Thanks to the OP for starting this. As a member on several other forums I cannot believe the amount of crap that gets posted on the one subject but in 74,365 different threads :rolleyes:

Even amongst XDA, (must admit I have limited myself to a few specific devices and not strayed too far), I am completely amazed at the people who refuse to search before posting or just blurt out any new thread when it comes to this particular phone. Just take a look at the s-off debacle FFS :mad:

Back on topic, I'm actually looking forward to the release of jelly bean for the HOX, fingers crossed we have been able to achieve s-off by then too :cool:

I hope it gives us the buttery smooth experience on Sense that we are all believing in and not just a flop.

Haha! If that's indeed the case, than iphone has every reason to continue suing. Cause if anything ever set the iphone and android apart then it was smoothness Vs more possibilities (decent smoothness)

but it will turn out to be smoothness vs smoothness and more possibilies = Fatality.

ChriKn

Apr 18, 2012
France / Germany

I was allready thinking on how to drop myself out of the window... This becomes such a standard sadly :/
Maybe XDA should do like on other techi forums, you can't access certain area's without having answered a few tech-based question... This would reduce the amount of "noobs which will never even try to learn/understand something...

Back to topic.

The biggest problem is, that if you see the topic allready has 300+ pages you won't read them all in the hope to find an answer, which may be outdated, the only and best solution (and I'm hoping it will be the case here) would be to update the OP as often as possible with all available information and links

aLcHy09

Jun 11, 2012
Wichita
Jelly Bean PORTED to One X!!!!

Good news people....
Finally a good reason to root!!!! Waiting for the issues to be resolved...

I've just noticed that this has made the XDA portal. It's been up on quite a few websites today that I've noticed, and I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the writers who have helped spread the word. If you are one of them, you're awesome!

This is a port of Jellybean, based off of the roms for the two nexus devices that were released yesterday. I'm working to add in all of the key features at the moment, and it's going pretty well, so you can probably expect to see some kind of Alpha release fairly soon.

It's based off the porting work done for CM9 for our phone in the topic here, with some help from randomblame in the #cyanogenmod-dev channel. (Thanks!)

Known issues
  • Wifi
  • Audio
  • Camera
  • Probably more

Ironically, the issue we've been trying to resolve with CM9 for this phone, the rotation bug, appears to be fixed here. Not sure whether to laugh or cry :p

Images
http://i.imgur.com/CgWMF.png
http://i.imgur.com/DLd2U.png
http://i.imgur.com/eQRbc.png
http://i.imgur.com/htOEO.png
http://i.imgur.com/ewQrl.png
http://i.imgur.com/y4R30.png

Video (Thanks to Vere850211)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whavUiVkYq8

Update
I've started to port the Galaxy Nexus image instead. The new version is a lot more stable, and I guess I've had a bit of a change of heart with regards to updating. This version is more complete and comes with all of the updated gapps, which means we get all of the awesome stuff that was shown at IO.

DOWNLOAD

Remember to flash the boot.img in the zip.

Notes
When you're going through the setup, the waiting page (After you select language) takes a while, sometimes it fails and resets to the start of setup.

Reactions: gsinnit

Kermagod

Feb 11, 2008
Planet Earth....
I had this thought a while back.....

Sense is obviously HTC's standard in-house UI, but they also know that a lot of users would love to be able run the stock android UI.

Given the delay it take to integrate Sense with stock android. Wouldn't it be good of them to release a stock android version for those that would like to use it, whilst they are ironing out the integration issues.

That way if you want to use Jelly Bean sooner you can, or you can wait for the Sense overlay release.

Reactions: ErikTheAndroid

junialum

Apr 23, 2012
Singapore

Sense is obviously HTC's standard in-house UI, but they also know that a lot of users would love to be able run the stock android UI.

Given the delay it take to integrate Sense with stock android. Wouldn't it be good of them to release a stock android version for those that would like to use it, whilst they are ironing out the integration issues.

That way if you want to use Jelly Bean sooner you can, or you can wait for the Sense overlay release.

They will never do this. Skinning android with Sense/TW/etc is their form of branding. They do have other options though: http://www.davejunia.com/2012/06/what-android-manufacturers-need-to-do/

aLcHy09

Jun 11, 2012
Wichita

That's actually a pretty good idea.... :cowboy: But then they get another excuse to delay the Sense release, which most of us don't care, but that will have all the kernel upgrades and what not, also they would never want to undermine the importance that they are putting on Sense as a marketing item... So let them do their bit of delayed development.... We can in the mean time, head to some ROM that already has the new 4.1 features like the one that I have posted above... If HTC releases something like this then people will start appreciating them rather than *****ing about performance issues as the stock ICS will be by default way smoother than SENSE... :p

aLcHy09

Jun 11, 2012
Wichita
Think we're all pretty capable of reading the Dev forum to see that thread already...

LOL.... True... Was just an update to people who are new to the forums and on this thread.... Way better than creating a new post and then writing the whole thing like I created the whole thing!!! :p Saw some people do this earlier.... This is info sharing.... No share button like FB,... :cool:

Kermagod

Feb 11, 2008
Planet Earth....
That's actually a pretty good idea.... :cowboy: But then they get another excuse to delay the Sense release, which most of us don't care, but that will have all the kernel upgrades and what not, also they would never want to undermine the importance that they are putting on Sense as a marketing item... So let them do their bit of delayed development.... We can in the mean time, head to some ROM that already has the new 4.1 features like the one that I have posted above... If HTC releases something like this then people will start appreciating them rather than *****ing about performance issues as the stock ICS will be by default way smoother than SENSE... :p

The other benefit is the increase in user base.

IMO HTC phones, as far as build quality, are the best.

Android is often synonymous with the word choice. If HTC gave users the "choice" of being able to run the latest Android UI not long after the new Android UI is introduced, or to run Sense if that's what they prefer, surely they would increase Market Share/User Base.

Reactions: wiltgen

muamers

Dec 24, 2009
New update coming soon to HOX? Including 3.1 kernel? New Android Jelly Bean? Dont you guys think that this sounds to good to be real (to be from HTC) :cyclops:

in_deed

Apr 21, 2012
That's it. I've had it.

First HTC don't give me ICS with One X, their flagship device. And now, the delicious Jelly Bean comes out and I can't even use this. Wow, thanks HTC but I don't want to be stuck having Gingerbread all my life.

Going to sell off my One X and buy this Galaxy Nexus device. Seems to be the best phone on the market today, hands down.

/s

callmelance30

Apr 4, 2012
That's it. I've had it.

First HTC don't give me ICS with One X, their flagship device. And now, the delicious Jelly Bean comes out and I can't even use this. Wow, thanks HTC but I don't want to be stuck having Gingerbread all my life.

Going to sell off my One X and buy this Galaxy Nexus device. Seems to be the best phone on the market today, hands down.

/s

REALLY?? your One X doesnt come with ICS out of the box?

muamers

Dec 24, 2009
That's it. I've had it.

/s

Are you sure you dont have ICS ? :D

Reactions: in_deed

uptheironsrafi

Dec 28, 2010
Dhaka, Bangladesh
That's it. I've had it.

/s

Maybe he expected an actual Ice Cream Sandwich to come with his phone....

That's it. I've had it.

/s

Lol you should be super happy you have a system higher than you think you had.

Reactions: in_deed

in_deed

Apr 21, 2012
Lolz. Before someone thinks I am trolling..

I was just being sarcastic (/s). :p

Sorry about that. Thanked everyone who replied.

I LOVE MY ONE X :)

PS - An actual icecream sandwich wouldn't be too bad. Gotta solve the melting issues though. Jellybean is easier.

bigbamboo5

Jul 5, 2009
Can I ask a dim question? Will branded handsets get Jellybean the same time as non-branded ones, or will we have to wait longer as it goes through network testing?

Reactions: bobsie41
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Closed

Ok enough is enough, we have asked nice for you ppl to cooperate with helping to keep on topic and with respect.

This is way too much of disrespect...

attachment.php
    To somewhat control the the masses of Jelly bean threads that are currently arising, I made this thread to collect all talk about it.

Anything related to JB belongs in this thread. We don't want hundreds of threads with the same information, so please use this thread instead.

Yes I know I fooled you with the title, but I somehow need to get your attention :p

Any other JB threads will be closed to keep this froum clean.

So amongst the sea of posts bad mouthing HTC and users asking whether their phone's CID is eligible for an update, I'm going to post my impressions of the JB update so far. I've got an unbranded Taiwanese HOX.

- When you turn your screen on the animation is really smooth. I didn't use any other screens before and I haven't checked others now as well, but the productivity lock screen now shows the current weather as well
    - The pane switching animation has been altered slightly. It was sluggish at first but now it's back to being smooth, however, it's a bit slower than what it was like on sense 4.1
    - The entire colour scheme has been changed to the native android blue. There's a mixture of the sense green and android blue throughout though which is nice
    - The notifications pane has been updated and it is now VERY SMOOTH. There's also an option to activate the power saver mode. Various options such as battery, apps and beats audio etc have been altered.
    - The gallery app has been updated featuring two different views
    - There's a different animation when opening threads in messaging. This feels a bit sluggish compared to the old one. One thing I don't like is the new sense keyboard. It's great that they give you the option to remove the arrows but the layout has been altered and I'm having to relearn how to type on this
    - I'm still unsure of whether battery life has improved. I can tell it hasn't worsened but still haven't done much to see if it has improved
    - By far the biggest improvement is the browser. It has a cleaner interface and is much quicker. Fit to screen works brilliantly with almost all sites now! Chrome is included by default but I found no reason to switch to it, the default HTC browser is good enough.
    - Voice search and Google Now are now available. I really like using Google Now, it's good at reminders and giving sports updates!
    - The camera has a couple of new shooting modes
    - Switching between apps is now a bit quicker BUT I do feel that opening and closing apps is a bit sluggish now
    - The beats preset has been altered and it is now louder and much better
    For me, the JB update has made HOX A differnet phone altogether.

POSITIVE POINTS:

• Switching between home screens has a new look now and is much smoother.
    • I've got 4hr 30min screen on time with still 19% of juice left. ( I'm 24/7 connected to Wifi so keep my mobile internet off which gives me longer battery life )
    • SMS app now offers block list. It's much snappier and has animations as well. The best thing about SMS app is the new smiley faces. They are BIG and look gorgeous :D
    • Browser is much improved.
    • Tapping screen takes picture in camera app. This holds for both rear and front facing cam.
    • There's no LAG in the phone now. Few animations are designed such that it takes time to complete. Doesn't mean it slows the phone down.
    • I use Smart Keyboard Pro so can't say anything about default keyboard.
    • Caller's picture is no more blurred.
    • USB OTG now works.
    • ...and many things which I've miseed...

NEGATIVE POINTS:

• There's a power saver icon in notification area from which I can't get rid off.
    • WIFI direct isn't working yet.
    • Can't see screen on time by default now.

CONCLUSION:

This is one of the finest updates. Phone is much more snappier and has few additional animations. I'm happy with my HOX now :)

Sent from my HTC One X
    The XDA-DEVELOPERS.COM was a beautiful place in wmobile days... I remember that days... I remember!
    I was a noob... Everybody start like a noob... And we learn to flash roms, share, be friends to people we don't know...
    Now seeing this thread... So many HTC haters, ex apple fan and funny boys...

Remember ... This website starts with a company... The old people here knows what company is...

I also hate HTC, becouse they not upgrade my G100... Or my Elf, or my HD2 to windows phone 7... It's true... But in other side... I love HTC becouse they have the better phones in the market... Btw... My sensation will not have official JB? I don't care... It works...

I had some problems with my HOX... They resolved them... So? Guess what... My new device will be a HTC... Probably a one x+...

Learn to respect... The others, the company's, the brands... If you have buyed a HTC and you can't live with that... Sell it and go away XDA-devs... No one cares!

This is not the end of the world... The end is around you and you don't care... Is your government, your boss, your work...

I will give up this thread...

JB by HTC is a bonus... This is what I think!

And YOU... Hatter? Moron! What did you do for this community?

Forgot to say: this is development website... You HAVE ALLREADY JB Roms developed by XDA developers :) want it? Get it...

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app