Micro usb storage for nexus 10?

Would you get a micro usb flash drive for your Nexus 10?

• Yes it would be great to expand my storage

Votes: 205 90.7%
  • No i can use an otg cable

Votes: 21 9.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

leokan

Oct 11, 2009
Hi there guys. So i saw this topic http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2021001 looking for a solution for my nexus 10.

After a bit research i thought why the hell there is no company with a micro usb storage for our tablets and that was enought to start digging with my company to see if we can produce them. It seems it's going well for our project but i was wondering how many people are really interested on this one. We are looking to produce a tiny micro usb storage that will fit niceley with nexus 10 and it can be used 24/7 as storage expantion.

so your turn how many of you would be interested on getting one of these?

Hi there guys. So i saw this topic http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2021001 looking for a solution for my nexus 10.

After a bit research i thought why the hell there is no company with a micro usb storage for our tablets and that was enought to start digging with my company to see if we can produce them. It seems it's going well for our project but i was wondering how many people are really interested on this one. We are looking to produce a tiny micro usb storage that will fit niceley with nexus 10 and it can be used 24/7 as storage expantion.

This would be cool. As long as it can be used without messing up the Micro USB port and doesn't expose the microsd to breaking also.

Reactions: creedicd

88cavalierz24

Apr 1, 2008
NJ
what i want someone to make is a micro usb with a flex ribbon that can mount flush to the device. then the ribbon can wrap around back with a Microsd slot or usb. getting the connector out of the device can be like an ide ribbon in a pc just have a small plastic piece sticking out to pull on.

Chluz

Feb 9, 2008
Definitely interested. It needs to be absolutely tiny though and preferably thin on the edges so your hands would just glide over it instead of hitting it when they go around the display.

Another thing which would be awesome, but I doubt it's possible, is to allow it to act as a us pass through (so it would have a micro usb plug female in there as well, although I'm afraid it would make it too big). This is so that you can connect a data cable to your device and access the extra storage all at the same time.

Reactions: phaedrus43

rashid11

Mar 4, 2010
It is ridiculous we have to jump through these hoops because of el goog's totally irrational and fundamentalist/religious at its core,war on expandable storage in the Nexus line of products (well, my Nexus 1 didn't have that restriction, to be fair).

Anyway, the design would have to be such that the reader somehow "clings" to the body of N10 (and probably, you'd want it to be useable with other devices too) to where it is secure enough and won't fall out from an accidental contact with one's hand etc. The headphone jack is nearby and can not be obstructed. Plugging anything into the microUSB jack would take ability to charge device while in use.

If anyone is in it to make money, it almost feels a better way is to take it "all the way":

- Exynos should have native pins for expandable storage, that are left "hanging" (prolly pulled up/down) OR
- there could be a built-in USB hub on the mobo OR
- one could up with a small f-factor PCB with one

the goal is to manage to modify the case to install 100% functional microSD reader - one that doesn't obscure/use the microUSB plug.
While on it, figure out the charging circuit and provide a barrel plug :) for 5v/3A charging. There has to be a few hundred N10 owners that would gladly spend $200 to have their N10's modded (and wty's voided). After all, they wuz crazy enough to buy it in the first place :)

A decent haul for an EE student/enthusiast with a steady hand, a Dremel and a good soldering iron.

freshlysqueezed

Aug 4, 2010
Essential Phone
OnePlus 9
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2051949

1.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: plastikowl

scooterboy5

Dec 4, 2012
yup im talking about a flash drive we are really considering of building. i believe that this would be better than a microsd card reader and definitely more discreet.

Can you provide any more info about the profile of the device your considering building? Specifically - the shape, how far it would protrude, etc?

I'd love to see a sketch or two. If you streamline it enough (rounded edges, minimal chance of stressing the micro-usb jack), you'll be able to sell it to a whole lot of phone owners, not just us.

digitalrelic

Nov 13, 2012
I think the demand would clearly be very high for this product. Considering the size of the market of tablet owners looking for OTG cables, etc... I think it would sell extremely well. I, for one, would definitely by one the minute it was available.

leokan

Oct 11, 2009
Hi guys,
first i am glad to see that a lot of people are interested not only to support this project but also contribute with ideas. The goal is to create a product that will not get on the way of the user. As i already said i own a nexus 10 and i am working based on my everyday use of the tablet. My first designs are for a really small casing that will fit exactly to the body of our beloved nexus so it wont be able to move by accident. I am going for like 0.5cm width but we cannot at this point be sure for the final products dimensions.

I loved the idea of the flex cord that a user provided above but unfortunately that means loosen connectivity and i believe that it would get in the way of the user. Still it definitely gave my couple of ideas.

rgomesf i am already aware of this product but as a user i believe that in my hands its going to break in a day.

I think that the best approach would be a solid micro-usb unit for the nexus with a small cable-adaptor to connect it to USBs in computers in order to transfer data.

I am always open to more suggestions.

eRadicant

Apr 21, 2012
Melbourne
Hi guys,
first i am glad to see that a lot of people are interested not only to support this project but also contribute with ideas. The goal is to create a product that will not get on the way of the user. As i already said i own a nexus 10 and i am working based on my everyday use of the tablet. My first designs are for a really small casing that will fit exactly to the body of our beloved nexus so it wont be able to move by accident. I am going for like 0.5cm width but we cannot at this point be sure for the final products dimensions.

I loved the idea of the flex cord that a user provided above but unfortunately that means loosen connectivity and i believe that it would get in the way of the user. Still it definitely gave my couple of ideas.

rgomesf i am already aware of this product but as a user i believe that in my hands its going to break in a day.

I think that the best approach would be a solid micro-usb unit for the nexus with a small cable-adaptor to connect it to USBs in computers in order to transfer data.

I am always open to more suggestions.

Is this still happening? I am very interested.

And the cable-adaptor could double up as a pass-through to connect another USB device? Or is that pushing the capabilities of the micro-usb port?

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
If you're tailoring it specifically toward the Nexus 10, perhaps it would be possible to decrease how much it juts out by running along the side? Not in the direction of the headphone port, but upwards near the power button.

Not sure if that's actually possible though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just to tease you. Some of the first stage renders.
    You do not need much invention, look at this:
    There are the pictures, is tested with a 32Gb MicroSD and it works perfectly. Root + Stickmount

6amo.jpg

sy.jpg

3p4x.jpg

3ohh.jpg

5sdx.jpg

0lp0.jpg

5hcq.jpg

eko2.jpg

rav6.jpg

bqds.jpg

2a7c.jpg

yx4p.jpg
    Hi guys. Yes the project is still running and i am trying to figure out some details with the factory which will build them but some things are lost in the translation plus there is a 4 weeks holiday in china coming up so the thing goes a bit slow. :) hopefully i will have news for you guys soon enough. As for your questions,

We are thinking of using the cable or an adapter only so you will be able to connect it to another device to copy data. A pass through socket was underconsideration but for now it is dropped as we have to increase the size and as a user i dont want something bulky on my tablet.

Jotokun the plan is to make it a bit ballanced to the right so it wont be close to the headphones jack. We also thought of making a build in passthrough mini jack in order to be more stable but because of increased cost it was dropped out.

In any case everyone with more ideas is more than welcome to contribute :)