I want to root my DNA

Search This thread

snakebyt

Mar 9, 2012
Just picked up a Droid DNA off craigslist, does not have a sim card installed and i do not plan on putting one in. I bought it for use on wifi,play games and music. I am not going to use it as an actual phone. can anyone lead me to a current root method, would prefer a one touch or something simular, but ill take what i can get. lol.. also am i going to run into any problems not having a sim card installed? It is working fine now, just not sure how it will react to a factory reset or a root. thanks all

sdamark

Sep 28, 2012
Fountain Hills, AZ.
Just picked up a Droid DNA off craigslist, does not have a sim card installed and i do not plan on putting one in. I bought it for use on wifi,play games and music. I am not going to use it as an actual phone. can anyone lead me to a current root method, would prefer a one touch or something simular, but ill take what i can get. lol.. also am i going to run into any problems not having a sim card installed? It is working fine now, just not sure how it will react to a factory reset or a root. thanks all

Need to know what firmware you are on to help

To find this go to Settings >About >Software information >More >Build number

If you are on 3.xx you will use Rumrunner to S-off and unlock http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2559232

If you are on 2.xx you will use Moonshine to S-off and unlock http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2314771

Not having an installed SIM shouldn't cause any issues.

Have fun. :good:

snakebyt

Mar 9, 2012
thanks for the help.. not the problem is that my pc will not recognise the phone no matter what i do, usb debugging is checked, but i plug the phone into pc i get nothing, i have tried 4 different usb ports and 3 different cords.. the phone will show charging, but the pc will not to anything.

i tried with and without htc sync installed

sdamark

Sep 28, 2012
Fountain Hills, AZ.
thanks for the help.. not the problem is that my pc will not recognise the phone no matter what i do, usb debugging is checked, but i plug the phone into pc i get nothing, i have tried 4 different usb ports and 3 different cords.. the phone will show charging, but the pc will not to anything.

i tried with and without htc sync installed

If you download PDANet on your computer it will install the correct drivers. Be sure to uninstall prior to Moonshine [uninstalling will leave the drivers].

Hope this helps, enjoy :)

Last edited:

snakebyt

Mar 9, 2012
usb debugging is selected

I went to build number and clicked on it and it did nothing, didnt hilight or anything to show it recieved any input from me.. i still pressed it about 200 times.. still nothing

installed pda net and still nothing when i connect it to the computer..

sdamark

Sep 28, 2012
Fountain Hills, AZ.
usb debugging is selected

I went to build number and clicked on it and it did nothing, didnt hilight or anything to show it recieved any input from me.. i still pressed it about 200 times.. still nothing

installed pda net and still nothing when i connect it to the computer..

What operating system is on you computer? Windows 8.1 can cause problems.

snakebyt

Mar 9, 2012
win 7
and my build number is 1.15.605.4 cl123160 release-keys would that be causing the problem

sdamark

Sep 28, 2012
Fountain Hills, AZ.
win 7
and my build number is 1.15.605.4 cl123160 release-keys would that be causing the problem

Hmmm, Okay. So when you go to "my computer" you don't see it as a drive at all?

Make sure your antivirus or firewall are not blocking it.

I'm trying to remember 1.xx software on my phone, been at least a year. Go to settings >security is there something in there like device administrators?

Last edited:

snakebyt

Mar 9, 2012
Hmmm, Okay. So when you go to "my computer" you don't see it as a drive at all?

Make sure your antivirus or firewall are not blocking it.

I'm trying to remember 1.xx software on my phone, been at least a year. Go to settings >security is there something in there like device administrators?

It does have that option..i can chose android dwvice manager, agv antitheift,and air droid

snakebyt

Mar 9, 2012
yes, when i plug in the phone to the PC it does nothing, no noise like when i plug in my ipod or a thumb drive or anything and it does not show up in my computer at all.

I have turned off the firewall on the PC and also turned off the antivirus.. will try turning off the antivirus on the phone and see if that helps

sdamark

Sep 28, 2012
Fountain Hills, AZ.
yes, when i plug in the phone to the PC it does nothing, no noise like when i plug in my ipod or a thumb drive or anything and it does not show up in my computer at all.

I have turned off the firewall on the PC and also turned off the antivirus.. will try turning off the antivirus on the phone and see if that helps

Sorry, but before we can go any further, you are going to have to get your computer to see your phone. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it seems hardware related. Every computer I've ever plugged my phone into started loading drivers and asked what I would like to do with this device [always select open and view files]. Be sure you are using a good cable [even though I've not seen a bad one, I have heard of them]. Try using another computer. Once you get the computer to recognize your phone, everything else will be simple.

Once again, have fun, and good luck. :)

Last edited:

snakebyt

Mar 9, 2012
I backed upeverything I needed to save using airdroid andgoing to do a factory reset and see if that helps anything

snakebyt

Mar 9, 2012
well i did a factory reset.. and still same thing...computer is not seeing the phone at all...really getting annoying

ryanguy426

Jul 18, 2013
If it will let you, install the 2.04 or 2.06 update. Try to contact to your computer after that. I remember that being a bug in 1.15 for me...

sdamark

Sep 28, 2012
Fountain Hills, AZ.
If you are still on software version 1.15.605.4 look for the S-OFF method called Facepalm it will work for 1.15.605.4.

if you are having trouble with windows 8.x and HTC drivers check this post

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49909454&postcount=43

He can't get his computer to see his phone, that's the main problem. He's on Windows 7, so that's not the issue.

If it will let you, install the 2.04 or 2.06 update. Try to contact to your computer after that. I remember that being a bug in 1.15 for me...

He can't update OTA because he has no SIM.

snakebyt

Mar 9, 2012
Is there any place I can download the other.. I can use Airdroid to get a download on my phone and run it from there

Top Liked Posts