Amaze Bricked

Search This thread

themusicmonkey

Apr 14, 2011
Try powering it on by holding the volume button down first, then the power button. There's an issue with current HTC phones not being able to recognize the battery charge status after being discharged. Volume down + power circumvents the normal powering mode, or something like that.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW... An HTC Rezound

Last edited:

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
Try powering it on by holding the volume button down first, then the power button. There's an issue with current HTC phones not being able to recognize the battery charge status after being discharged. Volume down + power circumvents the normal powering mode, or something like that.

Yes, that puts the phone in HBOOT...already tried that several times, but doesn't work :(

themusicmonkey

Apr 14, 2011
So you're saying Rebooting from the HBOOT doesn't work at all?

winget5

Sep 11, 2008
Las Vegas
My amaze has this problem that it doesn't turn on the backlight when its fully dead and auto goes into the recovery. Put under a bright light while plugged into the charger and try to press reboot then system on your Twrp recovery. I believe its a Twrp 2.0 problem

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using xda premium

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
^No buddy, that 'aint the problem...it doesn't power up at all..anyway I'm getting the replacement battery tomorrow from HTC...having my fingers crossed hope everything works :eek:

winget5

Sep 11, 2008
Las Vegas
It auto powers to that state in which the charge light is on but not charging

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
Got the new battery and my amaze is back to life.... I am so happy :D
Thanks for all the support guys :) it almost scared the **** out of me lol

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
I knew it had to be a battery failure this happened to me before also.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

Yes, looks to be a fairly common thing with Amaze, you are the fourth one now, who reported the same thing...maybe its a bug with Amaze charging circuit...

Anyway I have ordered a independent battery charger to see if the dead battery can be revived via it..

kishon120

Jan 16, 2011
Chicago
My amaze has this problem that it doesn't turn on the backlight when its fully dead and auto goes into the recovery. Put under a bright light while plugged into the charger and try to press reboot then system on your Twrp recovery. I believe its a Twrp 2.0 problem

I agree with you on this one . My phone does this so much . I wish there was way to charge the phone if it's not turned on to avoid this . Even if I leave it to charge in this mode after the battery is completely dead, it only stays on for so long . I think this may be a lot of people's problem rather than a dead battery .

Last edited:

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
Hmmm... Interesting :screwy:

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

We have another one :(

I think we need to narrow it down and get down to its root what causes it, I'm afraid my replacement battery can die the same death too if the phone discharges again :(

Just a possible theory...I noticed that CWM recovery included in hasoon's tool doesn't support off charging (as I can't see the light when in recovery)...could it be the reason ? Could we prevent by flashing xboarder56's CWM version..which does have it?

Also andy please confirm, if it was the stock Amaze which had this issue ? If it was, then its nothing to do with rooting or custom roms, its a bug with the phone :( We can't do anything much about it then except curse HTC

andy55

Sep 10, 2009
We have another one :(

I think we need to narrow it down and get down to its root what causes it, I'm afraid my replacement battery can die the same death too if the phone discharges again :(

Just a possible theory...I noticed that CWM recovery included in hasoon's tool doesn't support off charging (as I can't see the light when in recovery)...could it be the reason ? Could we prevent by flashing xboarder56's CWM version..which does have it?

Also andy please confirm, if it was the stock Amaze which had this issue ? If it was, then its nothing to do with rooting or custom roms, its a bug with the phone :( We can't do anything much about it then except curse HTC

I have 2 amaze's, the one that died was running a stock kernel and energy rom as well. I threw in the stocker's battery and it turned on fine. Sounds like something's up with energy rom. I'm getting a replacement battery from telus so as soon as its in I'll be switching roms.

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
I have 2 amaze's, the one that died was running a stock kernel and energy rom as well. I threw in the stocker's battery and it turned on fine. Sounds like something's up with energy rom. I'm getting a replacement battery from telus so as soon as its in I'll be switching roms.

Wow really :eek: No offense to NRGZ, he's a great chef but now I am scared I'm switching ROMs..could be it has nothing to do with it, but why take chances :)

Raydonn

Dec 18, 2010
Actually, I think I remember reading something a while back, but there's a problem with either some of the custom ROMs or recoveries.

I think some developers also warned NOT to let your battery discharge all the way when using the custom ROM/recovery, or else you won't be able to charge it again.

This was a while back though, so I don't know if this is the same problem.

So short version, don't let your phone's battery die down to 0% before charging it again.

Reactions: Mafioso

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTC also replaces any accessory once, you could call and they'd probably send you a free battery.
    I just got another back cover from them, since my old one was creaking.

To Discharge the battery, you could get a couple led lights and tape them to the + and - terminals of the battery and just let it die.
    Radioshack has leds.

Probably not the easiest way... But it would work.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA
    sounds like the same thing that happened to my backup amaze. I swapped batteries and the same issue was affecting the other one, so its the battery. One of my amaze's is rooted rom'd etc and the other is stock, and the same issue affected the stock one, so its not a brick.

Good time to upgrade to an anker :)
    ok went to the TMO store on my way back...but guys at there refused to test it out saying they don't have any tester battery's...moreover I'm not a TMO customer so they said they can't me help much either :mad:

Anyway, I called up HTC customer service, it seems they do honor warranty on tmobile sets, however I just asked them to ship me a replacement battery for now, if that doesn't work, I'll send the phone over to HTC for repair...

BTW customer support guy said the notification light blinks in case the battery is extremely dead. I hope it does work with new battery...I don't know how will they take it when they find unlocked bootloader and custom ROM installed on it...

With your phone being s-on, you can't technically brick your phone. So as long as it's a hardware failure, and you don't have s-off and haven't been holding out on us you should be fine.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA
    Actually, I think I remember reading something a while back, but there's a problem with either some of the custom ROMs or recoveries.

I think some developers also warned NOT to let your battery discharge all the way when using the custom ROM/recovery, or else you won't be able to charge it again.

This was a while back though, so I don't know if this is the same problem.

So short version, don't let your phone's battery die down to 0% before charging it again.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dock-Batter...090330?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item336f076f5a

Best thing I ever got for my phone. Under 4 bucks shipped. Works great if you are having issues charging your battery if you let it go completely dead. I don't use it much but don't worry about completely draining my battery anymore either.

Works well if you have a 2nd battery too, since you can charge a battery in the charger and use the USB plug at the same time.