Boost Mobile Variant of Galaxy S3

Search This thread

wetbiker7

Aug 12, 2011
I was playing around with my search engine and found this thread where the OP is asking for Sprint ROMs that will work on the Boost variant of the GS3. I just wanted to add a link to this thread in case anyone else is led here by Google, Bing, etc.

This thread has a list of all kinds of Sprint ROMs, kernels, mods, etc for the Boost GS3.

http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...ng-roms-mods-kernels-modems-ect-boost-s3.html

Last edited:

Vanilla Bean

Dec 8, 2011
I'm not looking to hold hands cuz it makes me feel funny but I could use a couple clarifications... I've been using Boost Mobile for almost 2 years with a venerable workhorse rooted Evo 4G with 2 or 3 variations of near-stock ROMs from Team Nocturnal. I use my phone daily for work so I can't be too adventurous. Yesterday I got my GS3 and had it activated and expected to have it rooted and flashed in short order. What I mainly need beyond a stock phone is wifi tethering so I don't have to be driving around looking for a hotspot when I'm on the road and need to use my laptop. I thought I might try jdsingle76's ROM but read that there were difficulties in getting tethering to work. Of course extra cool stuff in a ROM would be great as long as all the basics work and all is stable. I'm open to any recommendations.

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
I'm not looking to hold hands cuz it makes me feel funny but I could use a couple clarifications... I've been using Boost Mobile for almost 2 years with a venerable workhorse rooted Evo 4G with 2 or 3 variations of near-stock ROMs from Team Nocturnal. I use my phone daily for work so I can't be too adventurous. Yesterday I got my GS3 and had it activated and expected to have it rooted and flashed in short order. What I mainly need beyond a stock phone is wifi tethering so I don't have to be driving around looking for a hotspot when I'm on the road and need to use my laptop. I thought I might try jdsingle76's ROM but read that there were difficulties in getting tethering to work. Of course extra cool stuff in a ROM would be great as long as all the basics work and all is stable. I'm open to any recommendations.

Carbon ROM is fantastic and has tethering built in.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I recently purchased the boost mobile variant of the galaxy S3, i have got it rooted and custom recovery but none of the ROMS for sprint are working correctly, is there a development started yet? Ive tried several roms and things not working range from camera to 4G, to just overall sluggishness. If anybody knows a good rom thats working for the boost model, or knows how to get working 4G, i have tried flashing a backup of my stock modem.bin file over odin, but it fails at the end. any help is appreciated!

I made this tutorial for the Virgin Mobile side of things but the principles are the same for the Boost side for those looking to flash virtually any 4.3 or 4.4 Sprint ROM.
http://androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/791952-all-in-one-guide-modifying-custom-sprint-roms-virgin-mobile-use.html

Last edited:

witit

Feb 29, 2008
ota update

Does anyone know if sprint stock recovery works on the original boost mobile gs3 ..I was promted the 4.3 update and I want the update but I need a stock recovery thanks

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
Does anyone know if sprint stock recovery works on the original boost mobile gs3 ..I was promted the 4.3 update and I want the update but I need a stock recovery thanks

You do know that if you flash the official OTA update it'll install the Knox boot loader, right? If you ever want to flash cwm, different tweaks, mods, etc, I would suggest flashing my Knox free version of 4.3. Just follow install directions and you'll be good to go :)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2546505

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr. Struck

witit

Feb 29, 2008
You do know that if you flash the official OTA update it'll install the Knox boot loader, right? If you ever want to flash cwm, different tweaks, mods, etc, I would suggest flashing my Knox free version of 4.3. Just follow install directions and you'll be good to go :)

everything else on this rom is stock ? Any removed apps ? And what is knox to be exact ? I haven't been up to date with these but I know the basic of flashing and rooting thanks

Reactions: beansnorice

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
everything else on this rom is stock ? Any removed apps ? And what is knox to be exact ? I haven't been up to date with these but I know the basic of flashing and rooting thanks

100% stock, except for the pesky Knox apps you remove with the app remover. So you're free to keep/delete whatever you want. And here's the low down on Knox.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541343

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Mr. Struck

May 20, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
Reactions: jdsingle76

mjlewis0102

Dec 5, 2009
helping a friend

Ok i am trying to help my friend. He has the Boost version MK5. He has been using M.O.A.R but now he wants a new rom because 1-He can either get MMS with no 4g or 4g with no MMS. and 2- He now gets pop ups for the 4.3 update.

I searched all over and cant find a 4.3 ROM for Boost. I found the stock deodexed one but he doesn't like it and wifi isn't working on it. Please Please help. Im at the point where i will pay someone to make a boost custom ROM (like moar or hyperdrive) that works!

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
Ok i am trying to help my friend. He has the Boost version MK5. He has been using M.O.A.R but now he wants a new rom because 1-He can either get MMS with no 4g or 4g with no MMS. and 2- He now gets pop ups for the 4.3 update.

I searched all over and cant find a 4.3 ROM for Boost. I found the stock deodexed one but he doesn't like it and wifi isn't working on it. Please Please help. Im at the point where i will pay someone to make a boost custom ROM (like moar or hyperdrive) that works!

No need to pay, lol. And I have a MK5 Boost build either deodexed or odexed, and if your friend is coming from MOAR, he'll need to do a full wipe before flashing. And if you follow the OP to the letter, in the right order, I am certain everything will work. Here's the link. It's been working fine for me since I built it, zero issues. Also, whatever you do, do not let your friend do the OTA 4.3 update, it'll install Knox Bootloader and that'll suck for him/her. Enjoy, and post in the ROM thread if you have any issues, but if you read through the thread, you'll most likely find the answer to all issues that people have had. Good luck, and enjoy

Reactions: prboy1969

Vanilla Bean

Dec 8, 2011
No need to pay, lol. And I have a MK5 Boost build either deodexed or odexed, and if your friend is coming from MOAR, he'll need to do a full wipe before flashing. And if you follow the OP to the letter, in the right order, I am certain everything will work. Here's the link. It's been working fine for me since I built it, zero issues. Also, whatever you do, do not let your friend do the OTA 4.3 update, it'll install Knox Bootloader and that'll suck for him/her. Enjoy, and post in the ROM thread if you have any issues, but if you read through the thread, you'll most likely find the answer to all issues that people have had. Good luck, and enjoy

Hey JD, I got my new GS3 at exactly the perfect time to step in the Knox trap! The phone did an update to 4.3 before I knew any better. I found out after I rooted it using the Team Epic kit. It installed the recovery but I get the popup that "Superuser has stopped" so I'm not really rooted. I tried flashing Philz Touch Recovery and I tried installing SuperSU. So, I have a pretty-looking recovery but still no recovery [meant root]. I'm next going to follow the link you put in above to read more about Knox. Not sure yet if it's a link I already looked at. One post I read said to just open a file manager as admini and rename the Knox files. Without root, there's no opening as admin! It's a catch22 I need to get around.

When I finally get rooted properly, are either of your Boost ROMs doing wifi tether yet? Thanks for all your work on the Boost front!

Last edited:

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
Hey JD, I got my new GS3 at exactly the perfect time to step in the Knox trap! The phone did an update to 4.3 before I knew any better. I found out after I rooted it using the Team Epic kit. It installed the recovery but I get the popup that "Superuser has stopped" so I'm not really rooted. I tried flashing Philz Touch Recovery and I tried installing SuperSU. So, I have a pretty-looking recovery but still no recovery [meant root]. I'm next going to follow the link you put in above to read more about Knox. Not sure yet if it's a link I already looked at. One post I read said to just open a file manager as admini and rename the Knox files. Without root, there's no opening as admin! It's a catch22 I need to get around.

When I finally get rooted properly, are either of your Boost ROMs doing wifi tether yet? Thanks for all your work on the Boost front!

Philz recovery and flashing supersu from the website, not the play store, is the way to go. And there's a paid app that works for Boost wifi tether. It's somewhere. I posted it in my thread a few pages in. 2 bucks but works great. Good luck!

joeyhdownsouth

Apr 1, 2009
Creole State
I just caught hell with my buddies boost gs3, flashed modified TWRP recovery, works perfect, 4.3 Roms on boost cause more problems than their worth. My binary up to 7. Learning experience for me

sent from my GS3

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
I just caught hell with my buddies boost gs3, flashed modified TWRP recovery, works perfect, 4.3 Roms on boost cause more problems than their worth. My binary up to 7. Learning experience for me

sent from my GS3

I have had the MK5 build I made on my phone for a month or so, and have had zero issues...

Reactions: Mr. Struck

Vanilla Bean

Dec 8, 2011
Philz recovery and flashing supersu from the website, not the play store, is the way to go. And there's a paid app that works for Boost wifi tether. It's somewhere. I posted it in my thread a few pages in. 2 bucks but works great. Good luck!

Flashing SuperSU from recovery did get me root and disabled Knox, according to the popup screen. I haven't changed from the factory stock ROM yet but I tried the paid tether router app. So far, my computers can see it but couldn't get internet yet.

Now for the dummy question and don't take this negatively... What is different for me if I replace the stock ROM with your stock ROM? Does yours have some tweaks? More likely to have working wifi hotspot?

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
Flashing SuperSU from recovery did get me root and disabled Knox, according to the popup screen. I haven't changed from the factory stock ROM yet but I tried the paid tether router app. So far, my computers can see it but couldn't get internet yet.

Now for the dummy question and don't take this negatively... What is different for me if I replace the stock ROM with your stock ROM? Does yours have some tweaks? More likely to have working wifi hotspot?

Awesome, glad you got root working. Since you have Knox already, there's really no difference between the two, other than you can get the deodexed version of mine if you want. As far as the wifi tether, I can't speak to whether or not my build would work over the stock OTA. Did you make sure your wifi toggle was on when you clicked "enable wifi?" And follow the directions from my post exactly? Good luck! And let me know if you have anymore questions.

Vanilla Bean

Dec 8, 2011
Awesome, glad you got root working. Since you have Knox already, there's really no difference between the two, other than you can get the deodexed version of mine if you want. As far as the wifi tether, I can't speak to whether or not my build would work over the stock OTA. Did you make sure your wifi toggle was on when you clicked "enable wifi?" And follow the directions from my post exactly? Good luck! And let me know if you have anymore questions.

In practice, I don't know if deodexed matters to me but I flashed your deodexed 4.3 last night anyway. Everything seems OK. After Sprint, Google, and Samsung got done doing their thing and after I shuffled everything around, it's pretty much identical to what I had before. Of course, I was hoping I'd have better luck with the wifi tether somehow but no joy. In fact, when I follow your instructions completely, including method 3, My laptop says the settings on one side or the other are incompatible. There's really nothing much on the laptop side except the WPA2-personal/AES/password. Any idea why wifi receiver should be toggled ON in the phone? (On but not connected to anything?)

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
In practice, I don't know if deodexed matters to me but I flashed your deodexed 4.3 last night anyway. Everything seems OK. After Sprint, Google, and Samsung got done doing their thing and after I shuffled everything around, it's pretty much identical to what I had before. Of course, I was hoping I'd have better luck with the wifi tether somehow but no joy. In fact, when I follow your instructions completely, including method 3, My laptop says the settings on one side or the other are incompatible. There's really nothing much on the laptop side except the WPA2-personal/AES/password. Any idea why wifi receiver should be toggled ON in the phone? (On but not connected to anything?)

I am running the Deodexed 4.3, and the wifi tether works fine for me. Did you do the update via playstore? I know there's one available. I don't know why the wifi toggle needs to be on. That was just something I read and it works, so that's one of those instances where I hit the "I believe" button. It could be something with the software that you use to manage your laptop wifi perhaps? I use windows as the default program to handle all my network settings. However, I use Linux Mint almost exclusively these days, and it works fine over there too. I know that doesn't help you much, just spitballing here. Maybe there's an app you have that's conflicting with it? I know it works, just trying to think of reasons why it might not work for you. Good luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

100% stock, except for the pesky Knox apps you remove with the app remover. So you're free to keep/delete whatever you want. And here's the low down on Knox.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541343

I recently purchased the boost mobile variant of the galaxy S3, i have got it rooted and custom recovery but none of the ROMS for sprint are working correctly, is there a development started yet? Ive tried several roms and things not working range from camera to 4G, to just overall sluggishness. If anybody knows a good rom thats working for the boost model, or knows how to get working 4G, i have tried flashing a backup of my stock modem.bin file over odin, but it fails at the end. any help is appreciated!

I got the boost mobile GS3 and the best way to flash a sprint room is to first to odin flash the spritn stock md4 rom and then go from there...just like i did on my phone and everything work fine!!!!!
    Got the backup. Thanks! I'll keep everyone posted on the progress!