Display problem (broken??) - HTC support & warranty

Search This thread

jolly_82

Feb 20, 2008
Fabriano (AN)
Hello everybody,
I want to tell you what happened to my Touch Pro this evening:
On the display (also if the device is off) appeared a small rectangle in the center (about 2x3 cm) made from bubbles. Well, not bubbles, I’m quite sure that are liquid crystal. If I put pressure with the finger the “bubbles” move and follow the pressure also out form the edge of this small rectangle)
As I can reach a decent camera I’ll post some photos of this rectangle.
The strange thing is that the device didn’t fall in ground, didn’t have temperature range; nothing hit it and so on. It was in my pocket well safe!!

If display is on the problem is quite invisible, if display is "black" or off... ....Grrrr!!!

Now, my questions:
1) Warranty is also for display?
2) How warranty works in Italy? Where should I ship the item? Which times?
3) If I have ship the device, sould I load the original rom & radio? Where can I find the rom?

Certainly, first thing I’m going to do Monday morning Is to call Italy HTC’s support number…
Thanks a regards,
Andrea

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
The "oil spot" problem isn't a broken display. It's the touch sensitive layer, which has been subject to too much pressure (carrying it in your pants pocket, etc). This has been happening on a bunch of Touch Pros and Diamonds. You should still be able to use it just fine, but touch sensitivity may get worse over time.

HTC may or may not be willing to replace it for you (and if so, they may or may not charge some kind of fee). Although it's just a hardware change, you should probably recover stock SoftSPL for warranty.

I have the "oil patch" problem with my Touch Pro. Unfortunately when I first noticed, HTC would not fix it for me, so I still have the oil patch on my screen, although everything still works fine so far. If it gets worse, I plan on buying a replacement LCD/touchscreen and replacing it myself:
http://mobile.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=03799

rocketgsx

Sep 28, 2007
I've noticed this problem on quite a few of the original touch / elf / 6900 phones, including my old personal phone which I used in this condition for many many months without every having any actual issues. It is strange but like you said: pretty much not noticeable when on and probably just best left alone unless it really bothers you.

akdmksjeanius

Sep 6, 2008
I have the same spot but it is not causing any problems that I noticed but there is many who have this spot in the diamond forum.

Giannis86

Sep 14, 2008
Tilburg
today i also noticed this on my touch pro..i sort of fell asleep on it and i think i might have messed it up

i can see that oil spot that you mention but only if i tilt the phone at a certain angle and only if the screen is off.When the display is on i can see everything properly

The problem:
Touch function is messed up badly..i tested in notes application and sometimes when i press at a point X the dot appears somewhere else on the screen...Internet browsing is a pain in the ass like this...

i also noticed one thing..i took the stylus out, put the phone next to my ear and i tapped at the area outside the oil mark. I get the normal soft sound and pressure feeling as it should be.. When i do the same at the oil spot its rather hard feeling and sound..

i will contact HTC on monday and see what they say about it..
otherwise i will get a replacement for 159euros (inc installation) from pdatech...
:(

adboom

Sep 13, 2003
Happened to my Fuze...

Happened to me too 60 days into owning it. I carry all my phones in my pocket, but have never had this problem. I brought it into the at&t store that I got it at and they never saw it either (it is only a few months old for them and have not had any complanints yet). They were going to replace it for me but were sold out. They had me call the warranty department and they replaced it with a refurbished unit (although all of their refurbished units are brand new as of this point because the phone is so new for at&t).

If you got your phone through at&t call warranty support and they will swap it out if the unit is under warranty (which being 2 months old at this point it will be).

rccola159

Jul 12, 2007
This happened to my Fuze as well. I tried to call AT&T support and visit a corp store but they ruled it as physical damage, thus voiding my warranty. Apparently the "crystals" under the display are cracked/damaged, causing the rectangle. Who knows.

ez345

Jul 24, 2008
has anyone successfully sent a touch pro raphael to HTC repair shop to be repaired under warranty with this issue?? its really bothering me that i can see it and i feel like it will affect my phone eventually...

id6klub

Oct 13, 2006
Add me to the list too.. I am going to try to get mine replaced through Sprint if it gets bad. I hope they know this is an issue/defect and not something like water damage

ola

Sep 25, 2004
has anyone successfully sent a touch pro raphael to HTC repair shop to be repaired under warranty with this issue?? its really bothering me that i can see it and i feel like it will affect my phone eventually...

I believe this is a design/quality issue. I posted about this same problem here some weeks back. HTC will not repair under warranty, paid in total 77 pounds to get this fix from them. I believe they are aware this is a problem because in the warranty book, screens are not covered even when its not your fault. They call it Newton ring .

Pete79

Dec 1, 2007
Funny thing that a lot of people started noticing this issue very recently: as if a cheap component came to the end of its life cycle.. propably in my head only..

Anyway: I noticed this on my TP a few days ago and I'm going to drop my phone to the local service. It's the second time in just over 4 months.. crappy build quality really :(

also: Diamond users have had the same issue: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=439410

Last edited:

Pete79

Dec 1, 2007
Local HTC service got back to me: they're insisting that it's a 'mechanical fault, not covered by the manufacturers warranty'. Then it gets better: the estimated repair cost is 275 euros (that's roughly 355 USD) for the replacement of the display and front cover.

Naturally I'm going to challenge this as the oily patch appeared over night when the phone was sitting on a table.

Last edited:

Giannis86

Sep 14, 2008
Tilburg
not that im questioning what happened but personally i find it difficult to imagine how it can get the oil spot just by sitting on the table :S

normally you would expect this after exserting enough force on the screen. Personally that was my case. I sort of fell asleep on the phone and might have hit it on the metal edges of the bed..anyway i got mine replaced from pdatech.nl for ~170euros including installation costs..

Pete79

Dec 1, 2007
Well if I had to venture a guess, I'd say that the 2h navigation on the night before took its toll on the display and during the night it just spread out and became visible..

viperx

Aug 27, 2006
how dodgy. I have been getting this problem, but funnily enough I thought it was due to air pressure, because it happened to mine when i was on the plane.

anyway i was just coming home from someplace real hot (40C), and it kept giving me the screen alignment problem for a few weeks, kept thinking i was pressing the top right corner of the screen regardless where I pressed. However, found that putting slight pressure on the screen for a few hours (i.e. a weight) fixed the screen alignment problem temporarily (for a few hours).

Anyway, just came back on the plane from someplace real cold (-10C), now the problem has ceased.

???? air pressure? or temperature variation?

I don't have the screen oil spot problem you guys have however.

Here's to it lasting a little while longer...

Pete79

Dec 1, 2007
I asked for a more detailed report of the fault and the service just said that 'It's a fault defined as OOW (Out Of Warranty) by the manufacturer' and that there's nothing they can do but charge me for the repair. Note: they're not even putting the blame on me saying 'abuse/misuse'!

Now I'm going to go to the seller (expansys) and hope that they have some interest in keeping customers happy (and maybe have more business with them in the future!) and make things right (=fix my phone or replace it).

Joffepus

Dec 18, 2008
Wow, and I thought I was the only one. I've noticed the same oily stain after falling asleep on the phone. I've had it for a month now, and I've gotten used to it. It does not seem to affect the sensitivity or the accuracy on the touch screen. At least not in my case.

Does anyone have any experience replacing the touch screen by themselves? Is it a complicated operation? I would greatly appreciate a 10-step-guide on how to replace the screen, if it's going to be an issue over time.

motoyola

Jan 1, 2008
SOCAL
disassembly guide

check out the wiki of xda click on service manuals and look for raphael. its on page 19 of the PDF

Limppu29

Jul 6, 2006
I noticed this issue on my Touch Pro today morning! I used my phone last evening and everything was fine. Now the touch screen doesn`t work at all. Great.

ricomambo24k

Nov 23, 2008
Same issue

I have also been victim of the oily patch.
I have had the Sprint Touch Pro since November and it just happened within the past 2 weeks.
Maybe this is due to not putting the screen protector on the phone.
I'm going to try visiting the Sprint Repair Center to replace it and then put the InvisibleShield Screen Protector on it.