Is firmware update incremental?

Search This thread

mj56gt

Feb 18, 2011
I just bought a Nexus 10 with 4.2.1. After startup, it shows that a new firmware has been downloaded.

1) Is firmware updating incremental? Or does it directly jump to the most recent version?
2) Where (which directory) is the downloaded firmware stored?
3) Is it better to update the firmware all the way to the most recent version and then unlock/root? Or the other way around?

Thank you!

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
I just bought a Nexus 10 with 4.2.1. After startup, it shows that a new firmware has been downloaded.

1) Is firmware updating incremental? Or does it directly jump to the most recent version?
3) Is it better to update the firmware all the way to the most recent version and then unlock/root? Or the other way around?

Thank you!

Just my own observations:
1) most recent
2) I forget where but it is deleted once applied
3) update all the way as it will often save you time plus depending how you change your device once rooted OTA updates may not work. Eg. You modified or removed a system/gapps (Google) app

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: mj56gt

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA

Thank you!

I just bought mine a couple weeks ago

1) When I fired it up for the first time, after going through the whole initial setup, it said I had an update, but it was only to 4.3. So I updated it. Then, after restarting into 4.3, it promptly downloaded the update to 4.4.2, so I installed that.

2) I believe it is stored on the root of the device in /cache directory.

3) Like @3DSammy mentioned, it's easier to get it all updated first, then unlock and root. That's what I did, and everything is perfect. Running Philz Recovery and stock rooted 4.4.2 with Xposed Framework.

Nowadays, this tablet is a steal at the price it's going for. I don't get all the people that complain about it only having a dual core processor. This thing is as snappy (maybe even a little snappier than) as my N7 2013.

mj56gt

Feb 18, 2011

1) When I fired it up for the first time, after going through the whole initial setup, it said I had an update, but it was only to 4.3. So I updated it. Then, after restarting into 4.3, it promptly downloaded the update to 4.4.2, so I installed that.

3) Like @3DSammy mentioned, it's easier to get it all updated first, then unlock and root. That's what I did, and everything is perfect. Running Philz Recovery and stock rooted 4.4.2 with Xposed Framework.

Nowadays, this tablet is a steal at the price it's going for. I don't get all the people that complain about it only having a dual core processor. This thing is as snappy (maybe even a little snappier than) as my N7 2013.

Thanks both of you for the information! I just finished updating the firmware: it went from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2, and then 4.3 and finally 4.4.2.

Could you provide a thread where detailed steps (as well TWRP link and SuperSU) are described for unlock/root on 4.4.2 using Unix command lines such as fastboot?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Thanks both of you for the information! I just finished updating the firmware: it went from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2, and then 4.3 and finally 4.4.2.

Could you provide a thread where detailed steps (as well TWRP link and SuperSU) are described for unlock/root on 4.4.2 using Unix command lines such as fastboot?

Thanks again!

Hi,

I didn't see any update from you from either here or the Manta Help Thread, so I decided to type myself a guide for you here. Using Unix command line it's quite easy to root. Just follow the procedures below and you should be fine ;).

First of all, you need to have Fastboot and ADB. To do as such open your command line and type:

Code:
wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/fastboot
wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/adb

Now that you have both files, you need to setup them to be able to use. As you're an Unix user you'll probably get what I'll do here, you can do it slightly different, but this way was the easiest IMO, also it makes the procedure for next times using adb and fastboot easier. Type the following:

Code:
sudo mv fastboot /usr/bin/fastboot
sudo mv adb /usr/bin/adb
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/fastboot
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/adb

Now that you have adb and fastboot set up it's time to start the real thing. First of all, make sure to backup your device, as everything will be lost in this procedure! First you need to unlock your device bootloader (if it is already unlocked, skip this part). Please, go to settings, "About Device" and click multiple times "Build Number", a new tab will appear in settings, called "Developer Options", go there and enable USB Debugging. Now plug your Nexus 10 on your PC and type this:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Wait for the device to reboot, when it turns on again, you'll type the following:

Code:
sudo fastboot oem unlock

Now follow the instructions on your tablet screen. As soon as your bootloader is unlocked the device will reboot, so you'll now download the recovery and the Superuser.

Copy SuperSU to your device internal memory (that's probably empty now) and rename the .img file of TWRP to recovery.img. Now enable USB debugging again (it's explained above lol) and replug the tablet on your PC. Time for typing again! (Please, open the terminal in the folder where the recovery.img is located).

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Wait for it to reboot, and then type:

Code:
sudo fastboot boot recovery.img

(If you want to install the recovery permanently in the device, type 'sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' before issuing the command above).

Now you probably see a screen like this:
eIDZ.png

Click in Install and select the SuperSU zip that you copied to your tablet internal memory earlier. When the flash is complete, reboot the tablet and congratulations! You're rooted :victory:.

Hope this helps anyone who needs it xD.
~Lord

mj56gt

Feb 18, 2011

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thank you!

Just my own observations:
    1) most recent
    2) I forget where but it is deleted once applied
    3) update all the way as it will often save you time plus depending how you change your device once rooted OTA updates may not work. Eg. You modified or removed a system/gapps (Google) app

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Thank you!

You will find some tips and links here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2670400
    As well as a bunch of people willing to help if you get stuck!
    Best of luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Wugfresh worked for me, Nexus 7 & 10.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Thanks again!

Hi,

I didn't see any update from you from either here or the Manta Help Thread, so I decided to type myself a guide for you here. Using Unix command line it's quite easy to root. Just follow the procedures below and you should be fine ;).

First of all, you need to have Fastboot and ADB. To do as such open your command line and type:

Code:
    wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/fastboot
    wget http://www.undergroundandroid.com/developers/xLordAIOx/bin/adb

Now that you have both files, you need to setup them to be able to use. As you're an Unix user you'll probably get what I'll do here, you can do it slightly different, but this way was the easiest IMO, also it makes the procedure for next times using adb and fastboot easier. Type the following:

Code:
    sudo mv fastboot /usr/bin/fastboot
    sudo mv adb /usr/bin/adb
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/fastboot
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/adb

Now that you have adb and fastboot set up it's time to start the real thing. First of all, make sure to backup your device, as everything will be lost in this procedure! First you need to unlock your device bootloader (if it is already unlocked, skip this part). Please, go to settings, "About Device" and click multiple times "Build Number", a new tab will appear in settings, called "Developer Options", go there and enable USB Debugging. Now plug your Nexus 10 on your PC and type this:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Wait for the device to reboot, when it turns on again, you'll type the following:

Code:
    sudo fastboot oem unlock

Now follow the instructions on your tablet screen. As soon as your bootloader is unlocked the device will reboot, so you'll now download the recovery and the Superuser.

Copy SuperSU to your device internal memory (that's probably empty now) and rename the .img file of TWRP to recovery.img. Now enable USB debugging again (it's explained above lol) and replug the tablet on your PC. Time for typing again! (Please, open the terminal in the folder where the recovery.img is located).

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Wait for it to reboot, and then type:

Code:
    sudo fastboot boot recovery.img

(If you want to install the recovery permanently in the device, type 'sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' before issuing the command above).

Now you probably see a screen like this:
    eIDZ.png

Click in Install and select the SuperSU zip that you copied to your tablet internal memory earlier. When the flash is complete, reboot the tablet and congratulations! You're rooted :victory:.

Hope this helps anyone who needs it xD.
    ~Lord