[Q] Nexus 7 - So many things going wrong after factory reset.

Search This thread

tzelo

Aug 22, 2010
I have a Generation 1 32GB Nexus 7. It has just been Factory Reset using the Pow, Vol +. Vol - combo to enter recovery and then using the Pow, Vol + combo to get to the menu to do a factory reset. I did this because my Nexus 7 was stuck on the X screen after several months of not being used, due to purchasing a more robust tablet.

I have successfully gotten past the X screen and I am not looking at the Welcome screen to select my language. On this screen I am getting what seems to be an infinite number of pop ups stating:

Unfortunately, Currents has stopped
Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.location has stopped.
Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped.
Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped.

Not in this order, but perpetual none the less.

I am able to get them to stop after several minutes of pressing OK, and I am then able to proceed to the select WiFi screen. Here, My nexus 7 is not finding any networks, where my GS4, laptop, and desktop all find 20+ wireless networks. My network is hidden, and I have attempted to connect to it via 'Other Network..." However it instant informs me unable to connect. I have also attempted a WPS connection and instantly I am told:

WPS failed. Please try again in a few minutes.

I have since tried every couple of minutes while typing this, ensuring my router is in WPS mode as well.

I very distinctly remember there being a skip button on this screen in the past, because when i purchased it was opened it in the car and was messing around with it before I got home, however no matter what voodoo I perform, nor how many times i restart the process and come back to this screen, I am unable to continue the initial setup.

Here is what I know FOR SURE about the state of the Nexus 7 prior to All my troubles.

1. The bootloader is unlocked, as I see the unlock icon on the Google splash screen.
2. It was previously set to USB debugging mode, however i am not sure if this gets reset when factory resets are performed.
3. I have installed apps to allow the USB port to connect to a dongle to attach external storage devices, this was unsuccessful, and prompted the purchase of the new tablet.
4. I have previously installed several custom ROMs, rooted, and in general messed around with the software successfully many many times. All were working fine.
5. The last ROM was the 4.2 Stock ROM

I have since updated my Nexus Root Toolkit program that I have been using since Wugfesh released it, and I am currently unable to get past the "checking ADB status". The program itself is not detecting the Nexus 7 in any regard, nor is my PC when connecting to the cable. I have tried several cables that are working for my phone, and have tried several ports that are also all working for my phone.

I have uninstalled all the drivers, and re-installed all of the drivers, and I have ensured they are the correct ones.

The only troubleshooting step I am not able to confirm is that the device is in fact in USB debugging mode, as I am unable to continue off of the WiFi screen.

The Wifi was for sure working the last time I used the Nexus 7, as I was using it to control a Chromecast in my bedroom and play games.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to not have to concede to scrapping my Nexus 7.

USBhost

Recognized Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
u:r:usbhost:s0
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 12
I have a Generation 1 32GB Nexus 7. It has just been Factory Reset using the Pow, Vol +. Vol - combo to enter recovery and then using the Pow, Vol + combo to get to the menu to do a factory reset. I did this because my Nexus 7 was stuck on the X screen after several months of not being used, due to purchasing a more robust tablet.

I have successfully gotten past the X screen and I am not looking at the Welcome screen to select my language. On this screen I am getting what seems to be an infinite number of pop ups stating:

Unfortunately, Currents has stopped
Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.location has stopped.
Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped.
Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped.

Not in this order, but perpetual none the less.

I am able to get them to stop after several minutes of pressing OK, and I am then able to proceed to the select WiFi screen. Here, My nexus 7 is not finding any networks, where my GS4, laptop, and desktop all find 20+ wireless networks. My network is hidden, and I have attempted to connect to it via 'Other Network..." However it instant informs me unable to connect. I have also attempted a WPS connection and instantly I am told:

WPS failed. Please try again in a few minutes.

I have since tried every couple of minutes while typing this, ensuring my router is in WPS mode as well.

I very distinctly remember there being a skip button on this screen in the past, because when i purchased it was opened it in the car and was messing around with it before I got home, however no matter what voodoo I perform, nor how many times i restart the process and come back to this screen, I am unable to continue the initial setup.

Here is what I know FOR SURE about the state of the Nexus 7 prior to All my troubles.

1. The bootloader is unlocked, as I see the unlock icon on the Google splash screen.
2. It was previously set to USB debugging mode, however i am not sure if this gets reset when factory resets are performed.
3. I have installed apps to allow the USB port to connect to a dongle to attach external storage devices, this was unsuccessful, and prompted the purchase of the new tablet.
4. I have previously installed several custom ROMs, rooted, and in general messed around with the software successfully many many times. All were working fine.
5. The last ROM was the 4.2 Stock ROM

I have since updated my Nexus Root Toolkit program that I have been using since Wugfesh released it, and I am currently unable to get past the "checking ADB status". The program itself is not detecting the Nexus 7 in any regard, nor is my PC when connecting to the cable. I have tried several cables that are working for my phone, and have tried several ports that are also all working for my phone.

I have uninstalled all the drivers, and re-installed all of the drivers, and I have ensured they are the correct ones.

The only troubleshooting step I am not able to confirm is that the device is in fact in USB debugging mode, as I am unable to continue off of the WiFi screen.

The Wifi was for sure working the last time I used the Nexus 7, as I was using it to control a Chromecast in my bedroom and play games.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to not have to concede to scrapping my Nexus 7.
If you have a twrp recovery and a otg cable
You will have a few more options
Reply if you have those

Captain Sweatpants

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
The only troubleshooting step I am not able to confirm is that the device is in fact in USB debugging mode, as I am unable to continue off of the WiFi screen..
Tapping all four corners of the screen will skip the WiFi part of setup not sure if the order you tap them in matters. Other than that boot into fastboot mode and follow the sticky for flashing a new factory image. Fastboot does not need USB debugging enabled.

Sent from my C5303 using xda app-developers app