[GUIDE] How to unbrick Acer Iconia A500

Search This thread

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
here is the situation:
My A500 was under ICS 04.03 Thor (I think) It took me over one night and next day the A500 stayed on black screen.
Since, when I turn on my A500 I have a black screen with the power button on and nothing else. I install the official drivers ACER
USB_Acer_1.00.0524_A30H_A31H_A32H_A500_A501 Windows (I tried XP / 7) and then I connect my A500 drivers are installed indicating how ACER RECOVERY BOOT USB
I tried two different USB cables and multiple PCs If I turn my back on A500 and the A500 windows redetects

I feel that there are more OS / BL (I was under ClockworkMod) or Recovery. Finally to get the ACER logo and the inscription at the top of the screen Download mode, I have to use A500APXFlash.exe until reboot the system download mode.

then I'm the ACER logo, but A500APXFLASH stops (see my screenshots).
I tried with EUUs_SBK_Acer_A500_1.016.05_COM_GEN1 (which installs different drivers than those PICASSO ACER RECOVERY BOOT USB) and then it tells me wrong user ID and if I insist a second time it starts updating but stop at 5% about and nothing happens.

I tried USBDeview there is nothing in the same serial number with Afterota, like in the Windows Device UID does not mean anything.

I see u r using this No i need used blackthund3r_A500_APX_Flash_Tool_v0.3-V3BL-CWM u might wanna try v6BL or v7BL apx package

Yr drivers are OK - there are 4 or 5 different drivers needed for the flash but u have the boot/recovery drivers so u should be good

Getting to apx mode is ok

I don't know why the flash will not work as u don't have any of the normal errors showing???

Try with the latest BL version see how u go, if that does not work then a rollback to HC is yr last chance, see jazzyjames tutorial how to do that

trakian

Dec 31, 2008
here some error

* Press any key when your A500 is in bootloader mode *
Press any key to continue . . .
Flashing HC-Bootloader...
Nvflash started
[resume mode]
Formatting partition 4 please wait.. Command Execution failed cmd 13, error 0x12
FAILED!
command failure: format partition failed (bad command)
bootloader status: unknown operation (code: 1) message: flags: 0

Nvflash started
[resume mode]

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
here some error

* Press any key when your A500 is in bootloader mode *
Press any key to continue . . .
Flashing HC-Bootloader...
Nvflash started
[resume mode]
Formatting partition 4 please wait.. Command Execution failed cmd 13, error 0x12
FAILED!
command failure: format partition failed (bad command)
bootloader status: unknown operation (code: 1) message: flags: 0

Nvflash started
[resume mode]

try this then http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?p=15285

Last edited:

trakian

Dec 31, 2008
I tried format command, but the command to execute the A500 eject it from Windows. at this stage I think I'll return the Tablet to Acer. Thank you very much for your help

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

j.batta01

May 10, 2012
Preparing to try this guide

My a500 is running stock ics and stock recovery. I have rooted it. When I ran the root tool I didn't unlock the bootloader. I guess my question is, is it ok to run this tut without unlocking the bootloader first. Also I'm not sure if my tablet is in debug mode and have no idea how to check because my tablet doesn't boot past the acer splash screen.
Also i have tried running running the built in factory restore, reset button and USB kernal recovery upgrade

adidear

Oct 16, 2010
Same Situation as yours

it returned the UID :D, now I just gotta hope it can reinstall recovery
do I have to uninstall the libusb apx drivers and reinstall the normal acer apx drivers now?

well EUUS accepted the UID, now its on the upgrading phase, the progress bar isnt moving though, hope that doesnt mean anything
edit:
35 mins now and still on the same screen, progress bar hasnt moved at all, I dont think it working :(

moved everything to a different computer and its working now (seems the libusb driver kept installing instead of the default on my laptop, causing the program not to work)
progress bar is moving and I got the acer boot logo on the tablet now

edit2:
its up and running again back on hc, upgrading to the ota ics
thank you so much eppeP :D
you saved this tab from becoming a part machine

I'll keep that UID and SBK number backed up now ;)

I am in situation as yours. Please can you list me the steps you did to get the UID. I am getting lost in the threads.

Thank you in advance.

jgriff63

Aug 26, 2006
Cincinnati
My A500 is stuck in APX mode. It happened after I improperly flashed skrillax_cz's ICS bootloader. it ran for a few weeks, then suddenly stopped. Now I only get a black screen with a lit power button. Every time I try what is in the OP, as soon as the tablet goes into download mode, the flash fails. Every time. I have loaded and reloaded the drivers, tried blackthund3r's APX flash tool (gets stuck at stage 2). I have the uid (had that in a nandroid backup, confirmed with usbdview), I have tried different usb ports, different usb cables. What could be wrong with this? I am beginning to think it is a hardware issue. I just hate to give up on this. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

lucas1954

Aug 8, 2007
Same problem exactly

My A500 is stuck in APX mode. It happened after I improperly flashed skrillax_cz's ICS bootloader. it ran for a few weeks, then suddenly stopped. Now I only get a black screen with a lit power button. Every time I try what is in the OP, as soon as the tablet goes into download mode, the flash fails. Every time. I have loaded and reloaded the drivers, tried blackthund3r's APX flash tool (gets stuck at stage 2). I have the uid (had that in a nandroid backup, confirmed with usbdview), I have tried different usb ports, different usb cables. What could be wrong with this? I am beginning to think it is a hardware issue. I just hate to give up on this. Any suggestions?

Hi I have the same problem i hope sombody helps

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Hi I have the same problem i hope sombody helps

I've just posted a reply in thread apx flash utility...give that a read an see if it helps
....once u fail 2 complete the flash it can be a bit of a journey rom.get it working again....and that's the best case scenario....worst case scenario is fried chip on the motherboard entailing repair from Acer

you have 2 choices if my post doesn't work....but first.....

are u still on the hc bootloader?
what rom were u using?
can u still boot at all into anything?

if as u say yr tab suddenly went into apx.without any input from u, it.can only be a hardware issue....

if not, then there maybe some hope...
are u able to charge yr tab, if so do it right now....this is a priority

let me know how u get on
rgds
dibb

EDIT: @ Lucas....pls try not to multiple post...i know u want to.get fixed...but if everything i have previously suggested to u hasn't worked for u, then either u have a hw issue or you're not following things to the letter...

if a complete factory hard reset followed by either tdv4/EUU or bad sector doesn't work then yr tab is stuffedm

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

dricou

Aug 28, 2009
Block at step 10

Hello,

I've my tab A500 block on the Acer logo screen. I haven't the USB debug mode active.

When I follow our tuto, the progression bar on step 10 freeze at 10%.

Do you have any Idea.

I can't boot on recovery mode, i have the error message "Erasing Userdata... Unrecoverable bootloader error (0x19000008)"

thank

hukerapped

Jan 9, 2013
Unrooting A500

Here are the two references I followed to help me through:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1585907
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1579490

I am definitely a noob that spent about 10 hours trying to revive my ACER A500. I basically ended up following the steps listed on the above forums (basically the same thing). Since some of it was over my head I will elaborate on a couple of steps I had to take.

My PC would not detect my TAB at all even when I tried to reset it (unless I was doing it wrong). I had never rooted before but had tried to install many variations of stock ROMS (using update.zip files on SD card) but none were working.

I also could not access my TAB to make sure the allow USB Debugging was permitted ... so I guess i just skipped this .... got lucky

Before I started, I downloaded a500_HC_3.1_FULL_update.zip and then saved it to my sd card (had renamed it update .zip)

The following steps are per TravisAntonio link above

1. downloaded the root-3.2.1-v4.7z
2.extracted it to hard drive.
3. i renamed the recovery.img file as suggested
4.When they said to download another recovery file I wasnt sure what they meant. I eventually just went into another Stock ROM file I had tried before (i think it was Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1) and copied the recovery-from-boot.p file.
5. Pasted the recovery-from-boot.p file into the new Image Folder as instructed and renamed it to recovery.img.
6. followed this step. NOTE: this did not work for me a couple of times as I think I had the wrong CPUID. I did also try to open the PBJ20upgrade.exe file that was in there. I think this may have been the one that worked for me over the DotNetDetecter.exe ..... not 100% sure which one finally worked ... sorry.
7. follow instructions
8.1 followed. screen remained blank but could finally hear the PC detect the TAB. I had tried to reinstall drivers prior but nothing else worked.
8.2 ???
9. In order to get my CPUID I utilized the usbdeview.exe that is located in the USBTOOLS folder from the original root-3.2.1 file that was downloaded. It showed up as a serial number for my device. It did not show up for the current connection but was there from a couple of days prior? Anyway I took the only one that showed up and used that on the next screen (I may have had to add another 0 to the beginning).

That's all it took for me. it basically went through its thing and came back to life for me.

Thanks to everyone ... especially TravisAntonio for posting. I finally got through it because of all of you.

Reactions: dibb_nz

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Just a couple of things in case someone else tries to do it this way

My PC would not detect my TAB at all even when I tried to reset it (unless I was doing it wrong).
this is usually becos a) acer and google drivers are not installed...in tdv4 there is a test.cmd, this will test your adb connection to make sure your tab and pc are communicating, there is also a folder containing an acer setup.exe which will install the acer drivers...b) if the drivers are installed then it can be a dodgy usb cable, try another one and also try a different usb port

I also could not access my TAB to make sure the allow USB Debugging was permitted ... so I guess i just skipped this .... got lucky

Before I started, I downloaded a500_HC_3.1_FULL_update.zip and then saved it to my sd card (had renamed it update .zip)
normally you would enter recovery mode via voldown+pwr - and the update.zip 'should' flash automatically also note that the update.zip and tdv4 are two totally different methods of flashing and shouldn't be 'mixed' together....just remember to delete/rename the update.zip - you dont wanna accidentally find yourself back on gingerbread")

The following steps are per TravisAntonio link above

1. downloaded the root-3.2.1-v4.7z
2.extracted it to hard drive.
3. i renamed the recovery.img file as suggested
4.When they said to download another recovery file I wasnt sure what they meant. I eventually just went into another Stock ROM file I had tried before (i think it was Acer_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1) and copied the recovery-from-boot.p file.
5. Pasted the recovery-from-boot.p file into the new Image Folder as instructed and renamed it to recovery.img.
I'm amazed this worked - the instructions mean that you rename recovery.img to something else then copy another recovery.img to the image folder....the recovery boot p file is a file that overwrites a custom recovery image with an acer stock one - for anyone else following this you can leave the original recovery.img as is, its a custom cwm1.5 - not sure the reasoning behind changing
it at all -
8.1 followed. screen remained blank but could finally hear the PC detect the TAB. I had tried to reinstall drivers prior but nothing else worked.
phew!! hopefully you saw "acer download mode" or words to that effect, displayed on your tab!!
9. In order to get my CPUID I utilized the usbdeview.exe that is located in the USBTOOLS folder from the original root-3.2.1 file that was downloaded. It showed up as a serial number for my device. It did not show up for the current connection but was there from a couple of days prior? Anyway I took the only one that showed up and used that on the next screen (I may have had to add another 0 to the beginning).
as long as the number you see has 15 digits you're all good , correct, you do need to add a zero to the beginning

That's all it took for me. it basically went through its thing and came back to life for me.
Thanks to everyone ... especially TravisAntonio for posting. I finally got through it because of all of you.
awesome you made it through and got yourself fixed....and thanks for posting your experience

hukerapped

Jan 9, 2013
Just a couple of things in case someone else tries to do it this way
Yes .. good point. Please do not take my post as instructions as I was (a) doing things that I did not understand (b) was probably doing things that were not the right thing to do (c) was in a situation where I was not worried about doing any damage ... I was desperate. I was simply posting to pass on my experience for other sin my situation .... just keep trying things.

Thanks dibb_nzz for replying with additional information.

thejam15

Oct 30, 2010
Acworth
I have the stock rooted ROM and I need a recovery image (don't have CWM because it wasn't supported) where can I find a good updated recovery?

jaga_n_jaga

Dec 27, 2012
Boot verified failed and recovery verified failed

Hi Guys,

My Acer A500 is completely bricked, when i tried to enter the recovery mode (Volume - + Power) i am receiving recovery verified failed and when i try to reboot the tablet it says Boot verified failed, could you please help me in recovering the tablet.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Replied to your 'other' post and it might be helpful to know what you've already tried to get fixed

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

TravisAntonio

Jul 14, 2011
Santo Domingo
My my... I haven't been here in a while, sorry for not answering your questions about the Iconia I have been a little busy, and thanks to dibb_nz and all the others for answering them :)

PattyMurph

Feb 10, 2013
CPU ID?

It was all going so well but I got stuck at the CPU ID, where on usbdeview is it? i tried mostly everything on Acer A500 and the multiple drivers but nothing worked, there's only 1 serial number that I put a zero infront of but it's still a few characters short. Please help :( If it doesnt work is there any way to find the ID? My tablet is bricked at the acer screen and I'm pretty sure USB debugging is off.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just got from a friend an Acer Iconia a500 he says that is bricked.

I tried this method: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1572622

But I can't continue because I don't have ADB access, what should I do?.

Thanks for all and God bless you.

EDIT:

I got everything to using the secret APX mode, but now is still everything the same the Android System is still there and not charging and not touchscreen...

Go to the bottom to see how I solved this lol...

If your tablet Iconia 500 (ONLY ACER ICONIA A500) went crazy, and present the next symptoms (Yes it has flu...):

-flu
    -Android System icon
    -Doesn't want to charge (20% / 15% 12%).
    -TouchScreen is not responsive.
    -Always when you turn it on says Shutting down and never shuts down.
    -In case you're using ICS shuts down immediately without even make you see.

The solution is the next!:

1. Download this file: http://www.4shared.com/archive/zyP91E0C/root-321-V4.html (This is the file to put recovery in case that you don't have it).

2. Extract all the files in any folder, it doesn't matter where you put it.

3. Go to Image Folder and rename the recovery to: anyname.img.

4. Download any of the lastest recoveries for Acer Iconia a500 (it will work believe me lol).

5. Put the recovery in the Image folder (Ex. Iconia/root-3.2.1/Image/) and rename it to recovery.img

6. Now open with Administrator Rights DotNetDetecter.exe

7. Continue, continue and continue.

8. If you have ADB Active just put it and it will install it. (If you don't have it just go to 8.1)

8.1 Shut down the tablet completly, connect your USB Cable *micro* (Tablet-Computer), take a paper clip and put it on reset without release it then press the power button and count until 4 or u4ntil you hear the sound when you plug something into Windows

8.2 Now your tablet is in APX Mode and the Acer Utility should now work.

9. Put your UID with a 0 in front of all the numbers (if you don't have it go to secret step).

10. Now let everything work. After everything is done you should have recovery now.

11. Press down volume and the tablet will take you to the recovery.

12. Download some ROM 3.2 or ICS 4.0.3, install it via recovery.

13. Download this file: http://www.mediafire.com/?9svnvdk982sxrw4

14. Install the version you have choosen via Recovery.

15. Voila! Your tablet is revived right now :)

Press thanks button if this helped you =D

SECRET STEP TO GET UID (IS NOT SECRET THOUGH... lol)

Just go to USB tools and use USBdeview, and is done... :p (Remember to stay in APX Mode)

CREDITS:

-Fguy on www.4pda.ru (EC_FLASH FILES)
    -timmyDean on XDA (Root-3.2.1-V4 FILES)
    -Moscow Desire (XDA Member, if it wasn't for him it couldn't get to see the light)
    Dear Sir
    I have same problem with my tablet too for 4 months and I explained that HERE or HERE

and i followed all instruction in these 2 threads

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1572622

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24531880#post24531880

and I used from ECrom files created by Mr. Fguy ver 4.03-22 and 3.2.1 but my problem is Lasting yet

can you help me?
    you had same problem and you know how bad is a bricked tablet in your hands

thank you and GOD bless all of you

gouya80@yahoo.com
    gouya80@gmail.com

I don't have the tablet anymore, it was a friend one, I can help you with your big problem because really it was easier than I thought, you can PM me with all the details, and yes the flu is a big problem... =P
    tried that method, get no vibration, devices just turns on to the black screen like normal

the only problem right now, I cant retrieve the uid

OK just clarify - black screen, that is, nothing at all displayed AND Power Light ON??
    IF u r in apx mode then
    U have a couple of options

EUU flash back to HC 3.2.1 or
    apxFlash to ICS
    Everything you need for doing this is in my cpuid guide link in my sig.

open apxflash tool do not connect your tab Yet
    Go as far as the enter apx mode
    Now connect your tab to yr pc
    Windows should install apx drivers
    Once installed. try clicking blue arrow first
    If u don't see the do u want to flash window then
    You'll need to click on the "enter apx mode " button instead then
    Click blue arrow
    Hopefully the PC and tab are feeling pretty friendly and decide to take each other on:):):):)
    The tab should flash the bl and install recovery.....u should be good to go from there!!!
    EDIT you can try cmd prompt on nvflash folder
    Run a500.bat or.bat file that should kick you to bootloader mode
    its really important that your screen display something in white letters!!
    Entering Acer download mode OR
    Entering apx mode

The flash will fail if u don't see something like this. This holds true for all methods

I see there is a A500 motherboard on ebay (cant link to outside links...)
    "Acer Iconia A500 Tablet Replacement Parts - MainBoard - 32GB MB, H6000 001 PBJ20"
    "Complete with Android 4.x installed, 32GB memory and ready to install and boot."

could I get that and just replace the whole mobo and it will work fine?
    Wayyyy outta my league m8. Sum1 else will know....
    yes, its just a black screen, no vibration, no boot logo, no letters or words on the screen, backlighting for the screen is on, and the power light is on

when I press the blue arrow in a500 apx flash tool it asks me for my SBK, going to that generator site it then asks for my UID which I cant retrieve :(
    if you do not have your cpu id and
    if you do not have access to adb and
    you're stuck in apx mode
    then things are looking grim.....
    the only way to get into your tab without yr cpuid is fastboot
    but you need adb working for that

someone else was stuck in apx mode a day or two ago, try a search...maybe...
    I'm gonna throw in the towel and just buy a new mobo for cheap, it seems im screwed without the UID and cant retrieve it either
    I wish the previous owner would have gotten the UID beforehand :(

thanx for the all the help though :)

I'm starting to feel a bit repetetive, if you can get device into APX mode you can get the UID.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23783875&postcount=9