[How To] Step by step guide to Backup your Shift to nbh (All Steps!)

Search This thread

i00

May 7, 2008
Brisbane
Please rate this thread if it was useful...

I know that stuff like this has been posted before but I have never seen a full guide begining to end on how to backup your rom so here is the complete guide (with links) beginning to end of how to backup your WM6X ROM on HTC's Shift to an NBH

To do this you will need a HTC Shift (dir), and basic knowledge of Windows Mobile, Vista, the command prompt and Syncing a WM device with a computer.

NOTE: I am NOT sure if you need HardSPL on the device to flash the ROM back onto your Shift (if someone could let me know that would be great), my guess is that you do as the created nbh will not be signed with HTC's Cert - HardSPL can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=406606 and is compatible with GSM Shifts only (x9500)

If anyone has any suggestions as to how this post could be improved or tell me if something needs a more in-depth explanation, let me know - Thanks.

1. First you will need to Liberate your shift; instructions on how to do this can be found here: http://www.modaco.com/content/windows-mobile-news/266537/liberate-your-htc-shift/ (this step will "unlock" the restrictions on windows mobile - this is not necessary but makes installing RAPI tools and other files easier later.

2. Download HardSPL (we are not going to install HardSPL in this post, but the download includes RAPI that is needed prior to the next step) from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=406606

When the download has finished extract the contents and copy EnableRapi.cab to your device (To do this select Settings from the today screen > USB Tool > Options > Detach from Vista > Options Attach to Vista - yes detach is not always required but seems to solve some issues with syncing).

Your device will now appear in "My Computer"; copy the file somewhere to your device then switch to Windows mobile and run the file.

3. Download the latest version of itsutils from: http://www.xs4all.nl/~itsme/projects/xda/tools.html (Look under download section) then follow the instructions on http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=382609

After you have followed the instructions there you will have created RAW files of your Windows Mobile ROM (on the post you will notice the the code window in color - these may be different depending on your device and may need to be changed)

4. Now we need to convert the raw file to an nbh to do this you will need to download the shift kitchen from: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=422914 then extract the files from the rar archive (using winrar, winace etc)

On some computers the below operation may fail saying "Error loading dll msvcr71.dll" so you should download and extract the attached zip file (msvcr71.zip) to the Tools directory

When you have done that put the *.raw files created by itsutils into the BaseROM directory and run the !BEGIN.cmd file

Select option 2 when asked to rebuild a ROM and follow instructions.

When the command has completed run the !COOK.cmd file; When a window appears titled BuildOS Click on the Play button and wait for the process to complete then close the BuildOS window

Follow further instructions; until another window appears, Select Shift as the "Target Device" and under "OS" select os-new.nb, then click "Build NBH!",

A window will appear asking you to save the NBH - DO NOT CHANGE THE PATH as it kept crashing when I tried to save elsewhere and call the file RUU_Signed.nbh

5. Copy the file RUU_Signed.nbh where you want and download and extract CustomRUU.zip (attached) to the same path

6. To restore the ROM all you need to do is Sync with Vista and run CustomRUU.exe

Feedback is always welcome,
Thanks,
Kris

Attachments

• msvcr71.zip
    176.8 KB · Views: 578
  • CustomRUU.zip
    388.5 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:

sardonix

Jan 2, 2009
All done! But when performing this process

BuildOS Click on the Play button and wait for the process to complete

I have Error window:

Error: File `ROM\XIP\boot.rgu` not found.

and when I click `OK` - process stops!?

What is wrong?

sardonix

Jan 2, 2009
All done without errors!

Previous Error was under XP on D:\ with many subdirs to `shiftkitchen`.

Now all OK is under Vista with `shiftkitchen` in root of C:\

Thanks!

Little question. I am backuping original Russian ROM... an in the ending window (when I choose "Shift" and "os-new.nb") there is Language:WWE. Is there have to be something else?...

i00

May 7, 2008
Brisbane
All done without errors!

Previous Error was under XP on D:\ with many subdirs to `shiftkitchen`.

Now all OK is under Vista with `shiftkitchen` in root of C:\

Thanks!

Little question. I am backuping original Russian ROM... an in the ending window (when I choose "Shift" and "os-new.nb") there is Language:WWE. Is there have to be something else?...

When you flash your ROM it will be the Russian ROM ... the WWE setting there and the version are just what is displayed in the ROM flashing tool (CustomRUU.exe)

I had the Spanish version and used this process beginning to end - and it says WWE in the flasher but still installs the Spanish version :)

Kris

sardonix

Jan 2, 2009
Kris, thanks! Believe that I`ll not have reason to use it. :) But with this reserved ROM it is composed to make any ROM manipulatios.

Thanks once more!

i00

May 7, 2008
Brisbane
I confirm that you DO need to install HardSPL on the device PRIOR to flashing the ROM back onto your SHIFT.

axelTP2

Apr 5, 2010
Bucharest
Back-up the rom and radio files

Hi i00, absolutely great guide, thank you for the hard and tidy work!

Since I'm a beginner in this area, before doing the dump job myself, kindly ask you to advise if the dump operation leaves the Shift unchanged on the winmo side and I can use it further, i.e. it is a read-only operation OR do I need to load back (flash back) the resulting back-up files (ROM and radio)?
Thank you!

Last edited:

packkman

Feb 3, 2013
rom

Hi all

i just bought a brand new shift and want to have a back up of the ROM

I've exacted 4 parts of the rom, but unable to convert it back into a NBH

i cant seem to figure out if i need the RUU_Signed.nbh , and where do i get it from, i thought i was making RUU_Signed.nbh from the 4 raw part files.

if anyone can re upload the complete UK ROM.NHB i would be grateful

i have uploaded the 4 part files and the boot loader

www(dot)filedropper(dot)com/rawfiles

part00.raw
part01.raw
part02.raw
part03.raw

SPL.nb

also do i need hardSPL to even load the original back up rom?
thanks

is this the file i need to include in my baserom folder?
forum(.)xda-developers.com/showthread(.)php?t=1875806

Need Radio ROM GPS+Phone Modded 1.27

here is my error code:

Welcome to Kaiser ROM Kitchen
-----------------------------
Please choose the way for Kaiser ROM Kitchen to work:
Enter 1 if you want just to cook ROM
(RUU_signed.nbh required in BaseROM folder)
Enter 2 if you want to rebuild and cook dumped ROM into flashable ROM
(RUU_signed.nbh, dumped part01.raw and part02.raw required in BaseROM folder)
Please choose 1 or 2: 2
Could Not Find C:\kaiserkitchen\baserom\os.nb
Could Not Find C:\kaiserkitchen\baserom\0*.*
Path not found - C:\kaiserkitchen\temp
The system cannot find the file specified.
=== NBHextract v1.0
=== Extract contents from HTC NBH files
=== (c)2007 xda-developers.com
=== by: pof & TheBlasphemer based on itsme perl scripts

Error: Could not open 'RUU_signed.nbh'
1 file(s) copied.
1 file(s) copied.
Press any key to continue . . .

Last edited: