[Q] Rooting Huawei Vision U8850

Search This thread

spoonium

Oct 13, 2010
Hi together,

I'm trying to root my Huawei Vision U8850. There seems to be only very little information about this phone available, and I've had no luck so far trying various methods.
I've tried SuperOneClick 2.3.3, UnlockRoot, DooMLoRD v4 and some other batch scripts, with no avail. The problem seems to be that the phone is running with Android 2.3.7, and most of the tools are using the Zerg Rush exploit, which seems to have been fixed in 2.3.7.
Zerg Rush always returns a "[-] Hellions with BLUE flames" message, which I suppose means that it failed.

Does anybody know a way of how to get root for this phone?

I've found a Chinese(?) forum where they asked the same question it seems, but I couldn't register there without some sort of code. Maybe somebody knows actually Mandarin/whatever.
translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.huaweifan.com%2Fshouji-15208--2.html resp. bbs.huaweifan.com/shouji-15208--2.html (links not clickable I'm afraid).

Some more information:

Model
HUAWEI-U8850

Android Version

Kernel-Version
Apps_2.6.32.9-perf

Build-Nummer
U8850 V100R001C169B244SP22

// Edit
Rooted firmware (Huawei.Vision.U8850.Rooted.Firmware.V100R001C279B244SP22.Android.2.37.rar):
ww*.mediafire.com/?aaqs7vt7aavv3

Last edited:

spoonium

Oct 13, 2010
I've found a Russian forum with quite much activity regarding the U8850 Vision. Problem is, I don't speak Russian, and registering on that forum requires you to input a Cyrillic CAPTCHA, which of course didn't work with Window's Character Map.

I've tried to translate the instructions on how to get root from this post: 4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=257207&st=1700#entry14246750
I am however not sure if I understood everything correctly, or if Google Translate was working correctly.
I'm also not sure what exactly the "Russian Channel" firmware will do to my phone (e.g. phone is only in Russion, keyboard is in cyrillic, GPS not working, etc).
The firmware can be found on the official Huawei page (alongside a "Japan softbank" version): huaweidevice.com/worldwide/technicaIndex.do?method=gotoProductSupport&productId=3812&tb=0

Below is my take on the instruction (which I haven't tried yet). Does this sound plausible to you?

Instructions updated, see below.

Last edited:

spoonium

Oct 13, 2010
*** NOTE ***
The forum software won't allow me to post links, and obviously it corrupts text links. So if there appears a space within a link, you have to remove it for the link to work.

Ok, I've successfully performed the root now by creating a custom firmware which includes su, busybox and Superuser.

I've uploaded the firmware here:
mediafire.com/?aaqs7vt7aavv3

To flash the firmware, you will need the "U8850 Upgrade Tool V1.8.4" from here:
ww*.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDQwNjQ=

This will erase all of your user data, so save anything before you do this. And of course I'm not responsible if anything bad happens to your phone, all I can say is that it worked for me.

The firmware is based on a Slovenian one found here:
johnnyparanoia.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Huawei%20U8850

I've labelled this method the "Russian Root", because I found the initial instructions on a Russian forum. I've translated the instructions and added anything missing to it.
See below for a detailed instruction on how to create a custom rooted firmware for yourself.

/**
* Russian Root
* Gaining root permissions on the Huawei Vision U8850 with Android version 2.3.7
* Originally posted at 4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=257207&st=1700#entry14246750
* Translated into English, re-arranged items and added some stuff
* I've also replaced the Russian based firmware with a Slovenian, because it was newer
* Discussion Thread: ww*.handy-faq.de/forum/huawei_u8850_vision_forum/227127-huawei_u8850_vision_root_rooten.html
* Credits go to Sanaes & freedroid
*/

You'll need both Windows and Linux to perform this update (e.g. a second computer, multiboot or a virtual machine).

In Windows:
1) Download the "U8850 Upgrade Tool V1.8.4" from here:
ww*.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/technicaIndex.do?method=gotoProductSupport&productId=3812&tb=0
2) Download the "U8850 (Android 2.3.7)V100R001C279B244SP22(Slovenia TUS Mobil)" firmware from johnnyparanoia.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Huawei%20U8850 or madmodder.co.uk/huawei/u8850/huawei-u8850-firmware-list.htm and extract the contained firmware (we need the SFC-244M-0-8025-A03.nb0 file)
3) Download nb0-utils.jar from yadisk.cc/d/MbFUvzN6bic
4) Download busybox from yadisk.cc/d/JIWwvYPNblL
5) Download su from yadisk.cc/d/XtZXIL9rble
6) Download Superuser.apk from yadisk.cc/d/7TQNlhsFbm1

The following steps need to be performed under Linux:
7) Create and navigate to the folder where you want copy the downloaded files to (e.g. "sudo mkdir /home/username/u8850/")
8) Create a folder where you want the firmware to extract to: (e.g. "sudo mkdir /home/username/u8850/extracted/")
9) Copy the downloaded files to the folder you just created in step 7), using a usb flash drive or whatever means you have (e.g. "sudo cp /path/where/they/are/saved/*.* /home/username/u8850/")
10) Go to that folder: "cd /home/username/u8850/"
11) Unpack the downloaded firmware into the "extracted" folder, using the following command: "sudo java -Xmx512m -jar nb0-utils.jar unpack SFC-244M-0-8025-A03.nb0 /home/username/u8850/extracted"
- Note #1: if this doesn't work, try to install Java first: "sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre"
- Note #2: extracting the firmware requires quite a lot of RAM, hence we added the "-Xmx512m" flag which allows Java to use up to 512 MB of RAM. Make sure your Linux machine has this much RAM available!
12) The extracted file "SF8-0-244M-0002-system.img.ext3" contains the Android file system, so we need to mount this file.
- To mount it, we first need to create a folder in /media/: "sudo mkdir /media/android"
- And then we mount the file to that location: "sudo mount /home/username/u8850/extracted/SF8-0-244M-0002-system.img.ext3 /media/android/"
13) Copy the previously downloaded "busybox" file to /media/android/xbin/: "sudo cp /home/username/u8850/busybox /media/android/xbin/"
14) Change the file permissions to 755: "sudo chmod 755 /media/android/xbin/busybox"
15) Copy the previously downloaded "su" file to /media/android/bin/: "sudo cp /home/username/u8850/su /media/android/bin/"
16) Change the owner and group of that file to root: "sudo chown root /media/android/bin/su" and "sudo chgrp root /media/android/bin/su"
17) And the rights to 6755: "sudo chmod 6755 /media/android/bin/su"
18) Copy the previously downloaded "Superuser.apk" file to /media/android/app/: "sudo cp /home/username/u8850/su /media/android/app/"
19) And change the permissions to 644: "sudo chmod 644 /media/android/app/Superuser.apk"

20) Now unmount the image file again: "sudo umount /media/android"
21) And pack the firmware again into a .nb0 file: "sudo java -Xmx512m -jar nb0-utils.jar pack /home/username/u8850/firmware_rooted.nb0 /home/username/u8850/extracted/"

Now we're finished in Linux, the actual flashing has to be done in Windows.
22) Somehow transfer the newly created firmware_rooted.nb0 file to Windows (e.g. with a USB stick).
23) Unpack and install the "U8850 Upgrade Tool V1.8.4". This will install a "SUT L3" program ("Software Update Tool") and the USB drivers for the U8850 Vision.
24) Connect your phone with a USB cable and use the Software Updater to flash the firmware_rooted.nb0 to the phone.

Don't get (too) nervous during the flashing and booting procedure, it does take quite a while.
After completion, all of your data will be reset and the phone should now be rooted. To check, use e.g. "Root Checker" from the market or any app that needs root rights.

Alternative (original) nb0-utils.jar download location:
dl.dropbox.com/u/1134234/AndroidTeam/utils/nb0-utils.jar

Last edited:
Reactions: andeld and l865449

kingeedorah

Sep 26, 2011
Hi,

I would like to ask if there are any problems after rooting (with gps etc.) ?
I also use stock Slovenian firmware and have bought a phone at Mobitel:

Android Version

Kernel-Version
Apps_2.6.32.9-perf

Build-Number
U8850 V100R001C279B244SP26

spoonium

Oct 13, 2010
Hi,

Android Version

Kernel-Version
Apps_2.6.32.9-perf

Build-Number
I haven't noticed any particular problems which I could connect to the rooting process. Yesterday it did take the phone quite a while before getting a GPS fix, but it has done that before (seems to be a general problem for me, even with AGPS settings), but GPS itself was working fine after that.

I'm also having some issues where the internal partition (resp. the /system/ folder) reports an error that there's no space left on the device, e.g. when trying out AdAway instead of AdFree Android. And the latter was working fine.
Besides that, it's working fine. I can call / be called, camera is working, music is working, radio is working (if you can call that working).

I haven't figured out yet how to install the Clockworkmod Recovery yet though. It's still requiring a valid certificate for the update.zip on the Recovery screen, that hasn't changed.

Reactions: tacapaca

napalmique

Apr 18, 2012
Hi guys,

U8850 Update Tool crashes when trying to flash a phone with the rooted imaged, works just fine with other images. Anyone else facing this problem ?

*** NOTE ***
The forum software won't allow me to post links, and obviously it corrupts text links. So if there appears a space within a link, you have to remove it for the link to work.

Ok, I've successfully performed the root now by creating a custom firmware which includes su, busybox and Superuser.

dl.dropbox.com/u/5387565/Android/Huawei.Vision.U8850.Rooted.Firmware.V100R001C279B244SP22.Android.2.37.rar

ww*.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDQwNjQ=

This will erase all of your user data, so save anything before you do this. And of course I'm not responsible if anything bad happens to your phone, all I can say is that it worked for me.

I've labelled this method the "Russian Root", because I found the initial instructions on a Russian forum. I've translated the instructions and added anything missing to it.
See below for a detailed instruction on how to create a custom rooted firmware for yourself.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Hi guys,

U8850 Update Tool crashes when trying to flash a phone with the rooted imaged, works just fine with other images. Anyone else facing this problem ?

Nevermind, it was the filename that confused the Update Tool, changed the filename to a shorter one and it worked, it flashed it, now booting.

adp71500

Oct 17, 2012
need help

I would like to download from
dl.dropbox.com/u/5387565/Android/Huawei.Vision.U8850.Rooted.Firmware.V100R001C279B2 44SP22.Android.2.37.rar
but error come out.
Can you please re upload that file again?
Thank you.

spoonium

Oct 13, 2010
I would like to download from
dl.dropbox.com/u/5387565/Android/Huawei.Vision.U8850.Rooted.Firmware.V100R001C279B2 44SP22.Android.2.37.rar
but error come out.
Can you please re upload that file again?
Thank you.

Yes, I'm afraid Dropbox doesn't really like public links, they've disabled that feature temporarily for my account. Although I severly doubt I've really reached the limit of 20 GB/day for this single file...
I've uploaded the file to Mediafire now, although I had to split the archive to make that work. I hope it'll live longer there.

jobjacg

Feb 16, 2013
Help

Yes, I'm afraid Dropbox doesn't really like public links, they've disabled that feature temporarily for my account. Although I severly doubt I've really reached the limit of 20 GB/day for this single file...
I've uploaded the file to Mediafire now, although I had to split the archive to make that work. I hope it'll live longer there.

Could you please, reupload the rooted firmware is empty the folder in mediafire

andeld

Jun 19, 2009
*** NOTE ***

Can you please be kind and upload those 4 files somewhere for i can take them? I searched on google but i don't know how good those files are and i don't want to make something stupid with my phone.:D

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!:laugh:

shub

Mar 11, 2007
CWM

hi guys

I also installed the pre rooted firmware and cant figure out how to get CWM on there which is how i assume the jelly bean goes on?...

can anyone help... I have just had thing a day and want jelly bean on there soonest!,,

cheers guys...

MuratOnurSurek

Aug 9, 2012
Hi together,

I'm trying to root my Huawei Vision U8850. There seems to be only very little information about this phone available, and I've had no luck so far trying various methods.
I've tried SuperOneClick 2.3.3, UnlockRoot, DooMLoRD v4 and some other batch scripts, with no avail. The problem seems to be that the phone is running with Android 2.3.7, and most of the tools are using the Zerg Rush exploit, which seems to have been fixed in 2.3.7.
Zerg Rush always returns a "[-] Hellions with BLUE flames" message, which I suppose means that it failed.

Does anybody know a way of how to get root for this phone?

I've found a Chinese(?) forum where they asked the same question it seems, but I couldn't register there without some sort of code. Maybe somebody knows actually Mandarin/whatever.
translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.huaweifan.com%2Fshouji-15208--2.html resp. bbs.huaweifan.com/shouji-15208--2.html (links not clickable I'm afraid).

Some more information:

Model
HUAWEI-U8850

Android Version

Kernel-Version
Apps_2.6.32.9-perf

Build-Nummer
U8850 V100R001C169B244SP22

// Edit
Rooted firmware (Huawei.Vision.U8850.Rooted.Firmware.V100R001C279B244SP22.Android.2.37.rar):
ww*.mediafire.com/?aaqs7vt7aavv3

My SUT L3 is error:(

jamesprocha

Jun 6, 2013
Hi guys,

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Nevermind, it was the filename that confused the Update Tool, changed the filename to a shorter one and it worked, it flashed it, now booting.

Can you remember what the error message was when the filename was too long? Did it look like this:

Error Code: 0xc60e

Error: Download fail,
Error = SE_ERR_SUT_DETECT_DEVICE_FAIL (0xC60E).

Oct 17, 2012
How to install CWM on it?

hi guys

I also installed the pre rooted firmware and cant figure out how to get CWM on there which is how i assume the jelly bean goes on?...

can anyone help... I have just had thing a day and want jelly bean on there soonest!,,

cheers guys...

Ditto. Should I just flash it with U8850 Upgrade Tool? How can I get CWM on the pre-rooted Jelly Bean ROM? :confused:

Teovenezia

Jul 19, 2012
Hi! I flash the rooted firmware and now it's rooted! Thanks!
In another forum i found the jellybeamV3.zip but i can't enter in recovery to flash that ... any help?
How can i flash now with a zip file? Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** NOTE ***

/**
    * Russian Root
    * Gaining root permissions on the Huawei Vision U8850 with Android version 2.3.7
    * Originally posted at 4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=257207&st=1700#entry14246750
    * Translated into English, re-arranged items and added some stuff
    * I've also replaced the Russian based firmware with a Slovenian, because it was newer
    * Discussion Thread: ww*.handy-faq.de/forum/huawei_u8850_vision_forum/227127-huawei_u8850_vision_root_rooten.html
    * Credits go to Sanaes & freedroid
    */

You'll need both Windows and Linux to perform this update (e.g. a second computer, multiboot or a virtual machine).

In Windows:
    1) Download the "U8850 Upgrade Tool V1.8.4" from here:
    ww*.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/technicaIndex.do?method=gotoProductSupport&productId=3812&tb=0
    2) Download the "U8850 (Android 2.3.7)V100R001C279B244SP22(Slovenia TUS Mobil)" firmware from johnnyparanoia.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Huawei%20U8850 or madmodder.co.uk/huawei/u8850/huawei-u8850-firmware-list.htm and extract the contained firmware (we need the SFC-244M-0-8025-A03.nb0 file)

The following steps need to be performed under Linux:
    7) Create and navigate to the folder where you want copy the downloaded files to (e.g. "sudo mkdir /home/username/u8850/")
    8) Create a folder where you want the firmware to extract to: (e.g. "sudo mkdir /home/username/u8850/extracted/")
    9) Copy the downloaded files to the folder you just created in step 7), using a usb flash drive or whatever means you have (e.g. "sudo cp /path/where/they/are/saved/*.* /home/username/u8850/")
    10) Go to that folder: "cd /home/username/u8850/"
    11) Unpack the downloaded firmware into the "extracted" folder, using the following command: "sudo java -Xmx512m -jar nb0-utils.jar unpack SFC-244M-0-8025-A03.nb0 /home/username/u8850/extracted"
    - Note #1: if this doesn't work, try to install Java first: "sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre"
    - Note #2: extracting the firmware requires quite a lot of RAM, hence we added the "-Xmx512m" flag which allows Java to use up to 512 MB of RAM. Make sure your Linux machine has this much RAM available!
    12) The extracted file "SF8-0-244M-0002-system.img.ext3" contains the Android file system, so we need to mount this file.
    - To mount it, we first need to create a folder in /media/: "sudo mkdir /media/android"
    - And then we mount the file to that location: "sudo mount /home/username/u8850/extracted/SF8-0-244M-0002-system.img.ext3 /media/android/"
    13) Copy the previously downloaded "busybox" file to /media/android/xbin/: "sudo cp /home/username/u8850/busybox /media/android/xbin/"
    14) Change the file permissions to 755: "sudo chmod 755 /media/android/xbin/busybox"
    15) Copy the previously downloaded "su" file to /media/android/bin/: "sudo cp /home/username/u8850/su /media/android/bin/"
    16) Change the owner and group of that file to root: "sudo chown root /media/android/bin/su" and "sudo chgrp root /media/android/bin/su"
    17) And the rights to 6755: "sudo chmod 6755 /media/android/bin/su"
    18) Copy the previously downloaded "Superuser.apk" file to /media/android/app/: "sudo cp /home/username/u8850/su /media/android/app/"
    19) And change the permissions to 644: "sudo chmod 644 /media/android/app/Superuser.apk"

20) Now unmount the image file again: "sudo umount /media/android"
    21) And pack the firmware again into a .nb0 file: "sudo java -Xmx512m -jar nb0-utils.jar pack /home/username/u8850/firmware_rooted.nb0 /home/username/u8850/extracted/"

Now we're finished in Linux, the actual flashing has to be done in Windows.
    22) Somehow transfer the newly created firmware_rooted.nb0 file to Windows (e.g. with a USB stick).
    23) Unpack and install the "U8850 Upgrade Tool V1.8.4". This will install a "SUT L3" program ("Software Update Tool") and the USB drivers for the U8850 Vision.
    24) Connect your phone with a USB cable and use the Software Updater to flash the firmware_rooted.nb0 to the phone.

Don't get (too) nervous during the flashing and booting procedure, it does take quite a while.
    After completion, all of your data will be reset and the phone should now be rooted. To check, use e.g. "Root Checker" from the market or any app that needs root rights.

Alternative (original) nb0-utils.jar download location:
    dl.dropbox.com/u/1134234/AndroidTeam/utils/nb0-utils.jar
    Hi,

Android Version

Kernel-Version
    Apps_2.6.32.9-perf

Build-Number
    I haven't noticed any particular problems which I could connect to the rooting process. Yesterday it did take the phone quite a while before getting a GPS fix, but it has done that before (seems to be a general problem for me, even with AGPS settings), but GPS itself was working fine after that.

I'm also having some issues where the internal partition (resp. the /system/ folder) reports an error that there's no space left on the device, e.g. when trying out AdAway instead of AdFree Android. And the latter was working fine.
    Besides that, it's working fine. I can call / be called, camera is working, music is working, radio is working (if you can call that working).

I haven't figured out yet how to install the Clockworkmod Recovery yet though. It's still requiring a valid certificate for the update.zip on the Recovery screen, that hasn't changed.