How to get 4.2 Nexus 10 Launcher!

Search This thread

Gudders

Nov 19, 2010
Warrington
All credit goes to Droid-Eye here for this one http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=40021984&postcount=6 !!:good:

Anyone who was hoping to be able to use the new launcher (such as myself) will be happy to know that you can! It appears that the option is there in the 4.2 OTA update, it is just hidden from the settings menu. I assume that Asus are probably still working on it and will release it in a future update.

The only modification I made to Droid-Eye's method was to simply use a setting shortcut widget rather than an entire launcher option such as ADW.

I used 'Secure Settings' from Google Play, which is free. Please bear in mind you also need an Ipack for an icon for your shortcut. Luckily Secure Settings has a handy link to download free ones from Google Play when you are setting up your shortcut.

I hope it helps anyone desperte to try out the new launcher style. It seems many people hate the new launcher, and I'll admit that I did myself the first time I saw it. However, it has grown on me and I'm going to give it a run to see if I like it over the old style. I can always change back...for the moment anyway.

Note: There is no need to be rooted or unlocked to do this. You can always change back to previous launcher by setting up another shortcut widget in the new style launcher. Your tablet will need to restart to make the change, that is normal.

Gudders

Nov 19, 2010
Warrington
Screenshots.

As Droid-Eye correctly pointed out, the home soft button doesn't line up with the app draw button. I haven't found any other bugs yet.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365531518741.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365531518741.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 870
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365531544707.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365531544707.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 854
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365531567226.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365531567226.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 927
Reactions: mistraller

amaddux

Screenshots.

As Droid-Eye correctly pointed out, the home soft button doesn't line up with the app draw button. I haven't found any other bugs yet.

The instructions worked well for me. So far I keep looking for the buttons in the wrong place. But overall the tablet seems snappier with this launcher. I also do like that the notifications shows across the top so you can see a lot more of the text.

Droid-Eye

Dec 19, 2010
Good looking out

I didn't even think about giving this its own thread. Hopefully, more people will consider trying the new layout now instead of just sticking with the status quo. I know not everyone will prefer them but it's always better to have the choice (I mean, this is Android after all).

Thanks for the credit.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I didn't even think about giving this its own thread. Hopefully, more people will consider trying the new layout now instead of just sticking with the status quo. I know not everyone will prefer them but it's always better to have the choice (I mean, this is Android after all).

Thanks for the credit.

+1, how the hell that you found this out is beyond my imagination! good job bro!

Reactions: Droid-Eye

t3ej4y

Nov 23, 2010
Thanks for the tip, but gmd gesture control seems to have stopped working for me after enabling stock 4.2 launcher.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Droid-Eye

Dec 19, 2010
+1, how the hell that you found this out is beyond my imagination! good job bro!

Thanks, man. I've been playing around in the activities shortcuts since I first got my brand new (at the time) Moto Droid with 2.0.1(to give you a time frame). I've found all kinds of cool stuff that way and it's nice finding solutions that don't require root once in a while. I highly recommend combing through the system activities if only just to see if there's anything hiding, waiting for a later update. This is how I found Face Unlock before they were ready to give it to us, too (though it took some interesting hoop jumping to get it to actually work). Also how I found the stock android dialer so I could try it wwith different SIP clients (still a work in progress).

Anyway, dig through the activities. Guaranteed you'll find something to play with in there.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Thanks for the tip, but gmd gesture control seems to have stopped working for me after enabling stock 4.2 launcher.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Maybe check the tf300 threads (since they're the only other ones with this ability) and see if anyone's found a workaround for it. If it's happening for them too and there isn't a fix, I'm sure GMD will want to know about it so it can be fixed before the rest of the tf700 and tf201 communities run into it. Either way, keep the shortcut handy and you can always toggle back whenever they update the app.

animejay

Jan 6, 2009
All credit goes to Droid-Eye here for this one http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=40021984&postcount=6 !!:good:

Anyone who was hoping to be able to use the new launcher (such as myself) will be happy to know that you can! It appears that the option is there in the 4.2 OTA update, it is just hidden from the settings menu. I assume that Asus are probably still working on it and will release it in a future update.

The only modification I made to Droid-Eye's method was to simply use a setting shortcut widget rather than an entire launcher option such as ADW.

I used 'Secure Settings' from Google Play, which is free. Please bear in mind you also need an Ipack for an icon for your shortcut. Luckily Secure Settings has a handy link to download free ones from Google Play when you are setting up your shortcut.

I hope it helps anyone desperte to try out the new launcher style. It seems many people hate the new launcher, and I'll admit that I did myself the first time I saw it. However, it has grown on me and I'm going to give it a run to see if I like it over the old style. I can always change back...for the moment anyway.

Note: There is no need to be rooted or unlocked to do this. You can always change back to previous launcher by setting up another shortcut widget in the new style launcher. Your tablet will need to restart to make the change, that is normal.

What setting shortcut did you use? I'm trying to use the Settings and am having difficulty in choosing the right option underneath it.

zbig0

Jul 13, 2011
here and here...;)
Hi,thx for sharing this...unfortunatelly cannot find this shortcut option in Secure Settings :( or its not valid anymore in free version(adw luncher need to be installed as well?)...Could you please share step by step what need to be clicked filled etc thanks

Last edited:

amaddux

Hi,thx for sharing this...unfortunatelly cannot find this shortcut option in Secure Settings :( or its not valid anymore in free version(adw luncher need to be installed as well?)...Could you please share step by step what need to be clicked filled etc thanks

The setting is there, just the Secure Settings tool is less than intuitive. Keep looking around at the tool. I had to look at the sample picture in the second post several times before I figured out what it was showing. I'll post instructions later in the evening when I have time if no one else does.

mistraller

Jun 19, 2006
After you have selected to create a widget using secure settings, pick an app, wait, and select settings. Next, you can click the .settings textfield. That will bring up a long list where you have to pick the .settings#launcherSwitchSettingsActivity. (Almost at the end of the list) Save.

Give the shortcut an appropriate name, pick an icon, and save the shortcut.

Last edited:

amaddux

After you have selected to create a widget using secure settings, pick an app, wait, and select settings. Next, you can click the .settings textfield. That will bring up a long list where you have to pick the .settings#launcherSwitchSettingsActivity. (Almost at the end of the list) Save.

Load an icon pack first...or you will have to do it again when you get to the pick an icon step.

zbig0

Jul 13, 2011
here and here...;)

Lol I dont see any create shortcut? Ive installed first secure settings from google play(blak icon with shield) have only
Info ,options ,helper ,compat apps and ofc preferences.
What am I doing wrong?

Droid-Eye

Dec 19, 2010
Lol I dont see any create shortcut? Ive installed first secure settings from google play(blak icon with shield) have only
Info ,options ,helper ,compat apps and ofc preferences.
What am I doing wrong?

Back of of Secure Settings and go to your Home screen. Go into the app drawer and tap the Widgets tab. Find the Secure Settings widget and long-press to add to your Home screen. Then, follow the rest of the directions.

Droid-Eye

Dec 19, 2010
Okay folks, hot off the presses. The visual walkthrough of Gudder's suggested Secure Settings method. Enjoy.

Attachments

• SecureSettings_42Launcher_pt1.jpg
    SecureSettings_42Launcher_pt1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 154
  • SecureSettings_42Launcher_pt2.jpg
    SecureSettings_42Launcher_pt2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: buhohitr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good looking out

Thanks for the credit.
    Screenshots.

Thanks for the credit.

What setting shortcut did you use? I'm trying to use the Settings and am having difficulty in choosing the right option underneath it.

Not sure if you're using my method or Gudder's but here's a photo step-by-step of how I do it.