[Q] Hangouts MMS issues when on wifi. Does no one else notice this!?

Search This thread

jondawisha

Mar 24, 2011
Sending pictures through hangouts and using group messaging work fine without wifi, but once im connected to wifi, I cant send a picture. I've searched every and i've either found nothing or found someone mention it with no response to his post.

I've already tried restarting the phone, removing the SIM, reseting APNs to default, uninstalling updates on hangouts and reinstalling. There is no APN option in the actual hangouts app like other phones might have.

If someone knows how to fix this, please share. I've always used hangouts and this sucks.

deadpixell

Sep 22, 2010
I'm having the sames issues..even not on wifi. Just started less than 24 hours ago, and I've tried all the things on here as well :/ Hopefully someone has some advice!

jondawisha

Mar 24, 2011
I'm having the sames issues..even not on wifi. Just started less than 24 hours ago, and I've tried all the things on here as well :/ Hopefully someone has some advice!

My friend has the phone as well and has the same issue. So im assuming its an issue across all verizon devices, but it doesnt seem to be a very big deal in the M8 community

bjamerican

Nov 17, 2010
Honolulu
My friend has the phone as well and has the same issue. So im assuming its an issue across all verizon devices, but it doesnt seem to be a very big deal in the M8 community

I noticed this problem from day 1. Hangouts doesn't seem to work with MMS... it retries to send each message for 5-10 minutes before succeeding. It also seems to have problems with group messages... sometimes it starts a new thread of messages when someone replies to a group message via MMS.

It's a shame that the interface of the Verizon Messages app is horrible... it is a very promising concept, but the app was very poorly executed. I like the idea of being able to forward text messages to other devices. I'm still waiting to S-OFF my phone until there is a reliable method for going back to S-ON. As soon as I make the leap, I'll probably be using the CM10.2 messaging app.

Abe21599

Apr 13, 2009
i dont think MMS send when only on wifi. I always see it connect to 3G/4G when i have an MMS to send. I agree, Hangouts MMS on the M8 is super difficult, but i don't think MMS will send solely on wifi.

MMS work fine on the default app, but try turning off mobile data and sending one.

x3haloed

May 14, 2009
I'm having the same problem (I think). I cannot send or receive MMS messages through Hangouts while my phone is connected to Wi-Fi.

I'm on T-Mobile, and I thought Wi-Fi calling might be the issue. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

Here's what I've tried for Hangouts:
-Wi-Fi on and connected - Wi-Fi calling enabled and set to Wi-Fi Preferred [FAIL]
-Wi-Fi on and connected - Wi-Fi calling enabled and set to Cellular Network Preferred [FAIL]
-Wi-Fi on and connected - Wi-Fi calling off [FAIL]
-Wi-Fi off [SUCCESS]

Last edited:

cman6453

Sep 29, 2007
San Diego
I had the M8 on T-Mobile and had to return the phone because of this limitation. It exists an all M8's regardless of carrier.

I decided to contact HTC support and the rep confirmed that you MUST be connected to a mobile network to use group messaging. This is truly an oversight by HTC. I don't have this issue on any other phone.

Napoleones

May 3, 2014
So, just to clarify, this is not a carrier's problem, this is M8's?

I was just thinking to use it. Maybe, I'll just stick on what I have.

Thanks for this.