[Q] Do I NEED RUU to revert VZW M8 to stock?

Search This thread

boringhandle123

Sep 16, 2012
Hello, I've been using the site for years for guides to root and flash devices, but this M8 is my first VZW device. I'm getting all my ducks in a row before I mod it, but hit a snag researching reverting to stock if the need arises. When I had other devices, reverting to stock was mostly just flashing my nandroid backup. This VZW device is the first I've heard of RUU. I read this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727831 thoroughly and several others and could not find a solid answer. I would have posted in the thread, but I am a posting noob and am unable. If I have a nandroid backup of my stock ROM on Software number 1.55.605.2, do I still need to flash RUU to revert to stock? Thanks in advance for your answer, or "hey dumby, it's already on this thread." Either is appreciated.

Last edited:

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
If you restore your nandroid, you're back to a stock system but still have the custom recovery and - if you messed with those - different radio/hboot.
The RUU gets you back one more step: a fully stock system/hboot/radio/recovery (although that RUU you linked to is rooted, but that's easily fixed).
That's my understanding of it, but I'm also relatively new to the M8 - so take it for what it's worth ;)