Evo 4g on virgin mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

HEATsixteen

Mar 10, 2011
I got it to work! i'm not entirely sure how, but it was a combo of DFS tools 3.1 and qpst. I viewed all of the info from my OV in DFS tools, and then plugged in the EVO and made the IP and profile settings exactly the same as the OV, and it worked.

MrPandroid

Jan 29, 2011
Greenville, SC
I can't seem to get it to save the changes. Everything stays the same >.< It won't keep the settings for data it seems...Hmm....Does DFS need to be run as an administrator/windows XP Compatibility? Also, is there a way to just save the OV information, and upload it to the EVO? That would be awesome.

Edit: Yeah, I've tried about 20 different things so far. It will not save the HA/AAA keys once I input them. The profiles are enabled, which is great, but the keys don't seem to stick. Unless...I misread the AAA key. Time to fire up the OV and QXDM and see what we get!

Edit 2: Nope. Its write. Double checked about 3 times...Its not incorrect. All 32 digits are right...Hmm....Can you write it with an NV item? Like under the QPST is there a file that has it perchance that I can modify?

Edit 3: So opened up qxdm, and ran requestnvitemread ds_mip_ss_user_prof 0, 1, 2...all keys are there. I'm so lost now at this point. @_@

Last edited:

bcb1

Apr 3, 2012
Still getting error code 16 when trying to make calls

After doing some more searching today, it seems that error code 16 "your authentication code could not be verified" is definitely a security flag in Sprint's system.

Since I obviously can't call Sprint to have them fix it, the question becomes what do I do now?

I have an extra, unused Optimus V. I'm thinking of logging into our VM account, changing the MEID to my unused Optimus V. Waiting about 10 minutes, and then going back in and changing it back to the original MEID. I'm thinking that might refresh the system, so to speak.

Seriously I'm out of ideas here...anyone want to chime in?

MrPandroid

Jan 29, 2011
Greenville, SC
After doing some more searching today, it seems that error code 16 "your authentication code could not be verified" is definitely a security flag in Sprint's system.

Since I obviously can't call Sprint to have them fix it, the question becomes what do I do now?

I have an extra, unused Optimus V. I'm thinking of logging into our VM account, changing the MEID to my unused Optimus V. Waiting about 10 minutes, and then going back in and changing it back to the original MEID. I'm thinking that might refresh the system, so to speak.

Seriously I'm out of ideas here...anyone want to chime in?

I had done that actually. My original donor was a wildfire. I activated op v, and took the esn from here and it worked randomly

Edit : I can send texts but not receive them. X.x oi

Sent from my VM670 using XDA

Last edited:

bcb1

Apr 3, 2012
I had done that actually. My original donor was a wildfire. I activated op v, and took the esn from here and it worked randomly

Edit : I can send texts but not receive them. X.x oi

Sent from my VM670 using XDA

Ok...so to clarify:

You put the Wildfire's MEID/ESN on your HTC Evo...and you started getting the error 16. At that point, did you log into Virgin Mobile and swap the MEID for your other phone (the Optimus V)...and then swap back to the original donor phone's MEID?

Or did you just start using the MEID from your second donor phone (the Optimus V) and change all the settings on your Evo to match the second phone?

Really I can do either. I have a second Optimus V that I'm not using, so I guess I could just permanently swap all the settings from it to my Evo. But it sure would be easier if I could just log into VM, do a temporary swap of the MEID, and then swap it back to my original MEID. I figure that would only take a few minutes.

Arrrrgh! So frustrating. Data works PERFECT! But the phone is worthless without being able to call and text.

jmz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
guys. you are missing a vital piece of information.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1601869

and

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/epic-4g-on-virgin-mobile/

the second link is not exact but close enough that you can figure out what is diff between samsung and htc.

Also, I am having issues changing esn. If you have successfully done that please come join me at http://chat.andirc.net:8080/ channel: #wildfires
If I don't respond immediately please stay in there. I am off and on all day.

AND, error 16 is the same ESN showing up on the network at the same time. So at some point you had both phones on. You need to call them and play stupid. Often, legit users get this problem. Bug in their systems

Last edited:

bcb1

Apr 3, 2012
AND, error 16 is the same ESN showing up on the network at the same time. So at some point you had both phones on. You need to call them and play stupid. Often, legit users get this problem. Bug in their systems

Yep, I figured that....no doubt that both phones were turned on at the same time at some point.

Now that I have the issue, the problem is how to resolve. I called VM a few days ago but the CS rep was totally clueless. I gave her word-for-word the error message, as well as "error code 16" and she came up blank. I couldn't go into too much detail...obviously.

Doing a little bit of searching, it seems like the error 16 is a pretty frequent thing, but mostly to Boost and Sprint users. The pre-recorded message gets you directly to Boost or Sprint customer service. If you're on VM like us, the pre-recorded message just stops...and then hangs up. No customer service redirection.

That's why I'm thinking the only way to fix this might be to do a phone swap in Virgin Mobile's system to another valid MEID....wait for a while...then swap back.

I'd much prefer just calling VM customer service and having them fix it for me, but like I say, I already tried that. Maybe I just didn't say the right thing...or I should have asked to be transferred to second level support, or something like that?

HEATsixteen

Mar 10, 2011
do you guys know what the latest/best PRL to use? I want to make sure I get everything updated now... I don't wan't to have to mess with this again later...lol

BTW for anyone who couldn't get data to work, what I did was I got DFS tool 3.1, and plugged in my OV. I took screen shots of all of the settings, and then I plugged in my EVO and made sure that my AN userID(yourMEID.mdata.vmobl.com) was correcty written ( for some reason, when i tried to write it with QPST, it would make the box black with red x's) Also, there is some sort of password associated with this userID that i noticed in DFS, so I included that as well.
On top of all of that, in DFS tools, you can get the AAA key off of your donor phone if you look under the tab that contains the profiles. My AAA keys were there, and I noticed that they were writtin excluding some 00's at the end, so I left them off when i Wrote to my EVO as well. Works like a charm now.

MrPandroid

Jan 29, 2011
Greenville, SC
I still can't data to work, nor can I recieve texts. Which is weird...I can send text messages, and people get them, and I can make/receive phone calls. Yet I can't receive text messages. I'm confused, any suggestions?

Edit: Okay so I think I've made progress? Error 16 is back again...However I saw 3G on top of the phone! I'm getting SOMEWHERE now! Whoo!

Last edited:

jmz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
another update. so at some point i must have had both on. so i got error 16. but i got automatically forwarded to VM and they didn't ask anything but my number and pin and they fixed it. So now I am 100% flashed evo to vm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just wanted to post and say that this works for the EVO on CM7. I tried to get it to work on my sense rom and it force closed android.phone each time. Gotta say thanks a bunch as it was the last thing I needed to get this working perfect.

Don't be afraid to go ahead and hit the thanks button :p

Also would you mind uploading your install zip for others to use so I don't have to build it.

edit: everyone say thanks to constrictor25 for putting this CM7 build together for you guys based on my tutorial.

CM7 for evo with working MMS: http://www.mediafire.com/?vovq9qtl3naa74z
    So how do we go about doing that? I mean your thread basically just says flash this rom for the epic.. could you make a small tut.. thanks! And so glad you finnaly found it!

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Extract the following files from your CM7 rom: apns-conf.xml, build.prop, and framework.jar. (winrar works well to extract and overwrite files in a flashable rom)

Well basically you need to open the apns-conf.xml file in notepad and overwrite the apn settings with these:

<apn type="mms" apn="0" mnc="490" mcc="311" carrier="Virgin Mobile US" mmsport="81" mmsproxy="205.239.233.136" mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" port=""/>

Then change the build.prop, from:
    CDMA_CARRIER_ALPHA := Sprint
    CDMA_CARRIER_NUMERIC := 310120

To:
    CDMA_CARRIER_ALPHA := Virgin_Mobile
    CDMA_CARRIER_NUMERIC := 311490

Then open the framework.jar with winrar (found in system/framework). Remove the classes.dex and decompile (here is a link how to: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=709037)

Replace the cdmasmsdispatcher.smali with the one I will attach to this post.

Then recompile the classes.dex and replace it back in the framework.jar.

Overwrite the apns-conf.xml, build.prop, and framework.jar in the cm7 rom you will be flashing. Wipe system, cache, data, & dalvick cache (might want to back up as well to restore data ) and flash.

This should work with cm7, not sure about other roms.

Awesome! Thanks!

When I finally settle on a rom I will try. If it works, I will upload the results here for others, I just need to settle into a rom I like first and then figure it out.

No problem, glad I could help the community out. Like I posted above this, it should work for CM7. Not sure about other roms.
    Patches and a rom
    Flash these just like a rom (wipe Dalvik and cache at most).

AOKP 28 patch
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lta4anv80u4x25e

Dark/Light1 Patch
    http://www.mediafire.com/?a7fvv544yl3wep3
    This is based on AOKP but not identical. I have been having MMS issues (even with my OV), so I can't test it. It was a request, so here it is, it may or may not work.

CyanogenMod Official 7.2.0 RC1 patch
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?782frz7fup583xc

Harmonia 2.06 for Evo4g on Virgin Mobile Rom
    This is based on the CM 7.2.0 RC1. and seems to run well.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bju33h260q1me71
    MD5: 56dc97e01cf819db0d18362f02d188a0
    If you know Harmonia, you know what to expect from it. This is really just a private build for me/us, since it's patched for Virgin's mms.
    I'm searching through several threads to try to piece together everything I need to add Evo to VM. Is there just one full tut from A-Z to help? I am working on rooting and unlocking now. But as far as CDMA workshop, FPS, QPST and others, which one is really needed?

I used Harmonia on my Optimus V, loved it but I'm kinda anti-stock ware look but it ran really smooth. I will try out the CM7 version for 4G when I get this phone set up, if ever. :confused:

You will probably need QPST/QXDM to write the MEID of the optimus to the EVO. And then you will probably need just DFS CDMA to read and write the old NAM and DATA values to the EVO. You might need LGNPST to unlock the Optimus for reading though.
    If your donor is an Lg optimus V then there is no way to get the secret AAAkeys . the folder they are in EFS system is locked . I have every program PAID and cannot unlock it . The only way i see is before you activate the optimus you must flash a new RADIO file that has the Attribuits of the nmv folder unlocked . I have tried all the programs including qpst qdmx cdma DFS ETC.... it wont read them or let you change that attrubuits of that folder . And Unfortunatly voice and text is all we got . and wifi . Comments?
    Oh there are three versions of the Lg optimus V - one with 2.2.1 and two with 2.2.2 . tried them all .. BTW . they are cheap on ebay . you can pick un the samsung or the optimus for less than 40 bucks with a clear esn ready to activate .

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

It's because you have to have at least 1x working first..at least thats what i fihured out on all my optimus v's .. it will do that if there is no data whatsoever but if yo have at least !x it activates.

I have the LGPSNT and DLL file just pm your email address