WiFi Hotspot on FireTV?

Search This thread

KarlP

Mar 1, 2011
Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the possibility of having the Fire TV work as a hotspot?

Here's what I'd like to do.

Install FTP Server to create a an FTP site to "share" out the contents of the attached USB drive. Create a USB hotspot that I can then attach several devices to stream content.

I don't need to share the Ethernet port really, I just want a personal wireless network that can be used in a pinch. Otherwise, I need to load different media files to different devices, which I've been doing up to this point, but just putting everything on a larger drive would be easier.

I spent a few hours fiddling with WiFi Tether with mixed results just getting the WiFi network going. Before I sink too much more time into it, maybe others might know if it's even possible.

byrdcfmma

Sep 26, 2012
Central FL
Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the possibility of having the Fire TV work as a hotspot?

Here's what I'd like to do.

Install FTP Server to create a an FTP site to "share" out the contents of the attached USB drive. Create a USB hotspot that I can then attach several devices to stream content.

I don't need to share the Ethernet port really, I just want a personal wireless network that can be used in a pinch. Otherwise, I need to load different media files to different devices, which I've been doing up to this point, but just putting everything on a larger drive would be easier.

I spent a few hours fiddling with WiFi Tether with mixed results just getting the WiFi network going. Before I sink too much more time into it, maybe others might know if it's even possible.

I thought of that as well, just unsure how to make it happen. Other generic streaming boxes like Matricom MX2 can be setup as a hotspot, so if we can get at the raw android settings, it may have the capability to do it already built in