Taburetka

Apr 29, 2014
Hello everyone ;)
have a Sony Xperia Z1 compact with KitKat 4.4.2
with this rom Sony give us a Answering machine - thats grate , BUT
where this machine store "welcome" message and recorded calls ? :confused:

ghtop

Oct 25, 2013
Apparently on the /data partition, same as SMS messages and contacts etc, so you'll need root to explore/backup, or use Sony's backup (I guess).

Last edited:

CCCMikey

May 2, 2011
How I back up the answering machine...

I finally have it all worked out.

On My C4 (E5333) the messages can be found in the protected folder /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/app_voicemail-data

To be able to access these messages, you’ll need to root your device. I used “King Root” to do this since it can be done entirely from the phone, but your handset might differ.

To back up these files I just use “FolderSync Lite” from the Play Store. It supports root permissions. I sync these to my Google Drive. (I sync one way only.)

To play these files on Windows you need to rename them by adding the .amr extension. They seem to play OK in Media Player Classic or VLC Media Player.

A simple batch file can do this: ren *. *.amr

To Sync these messages to another handset, I use “DriveSync” although FolderSync Lite could have done it too. Then, on that handset I have an ES File Explorer shortcut widget to the Answering Machine folder, along with another “DriveSync Sync Now” widget. VLC Media Player on Android can play these files, even if you don’t add the extension.