[Q] Question - Just Rooted Tab 10.1, how do I update going forward?

Search This thread

jericko

Dec 8, 2009
Hello

Thanks to this forum, I was able to Root my Tab Pro 10.1 and edit my permissions.xml so Apps can use my SD card.

Now that I am rooted, what happens if Samsung pushes a update? Are they any apps that help preserve root over a update (I used to use Voodoo Root Keeper on my old Asus Tablet).

Or do we update and have to wait for a new root method?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Jason

Jerryo100

Aug 31, 2011
Hamlet, NC
Hello

Thanks to this forum, I was able to Root my Tab Pro 10.1 and edit my permissions.xml so Apps can use my SD card.

Now that I am rooted, what happens if Samsung pushes a update? Are they any apps that help preserve root over a update (I used to use Voodoo Root Keeper on my old Asus Tablet).

Thanks
Jason

I don't think you'll be able to do an ota update. When I have my rooted Tab Pro 12.2 check for updates, I get this message, "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available." Hopefully SamMobile http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ has the update soon after the ota. Then download for your region and try to root again. It'll be a first for me too.

Reactions: jericko

aybesea69

Dec 2, 2012
Hello

Thanks
Jason

First of, you should never have to root again. The scary part is over. You should however install TWRP. Then when a new ROM gets released, you do a TWRP backup, and flash the new ROM . No muss, no fuss. You should also be using Titanium Backup on a regular basis so that you always have a current backup of your apps and data. Much faster, easier and SAFER than an OTA backup from the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

jericko

Dec 8, 2009
I don't think you'll be able to do an ota update. When I have my rooted Tab Pro 12.2 check for updates, I get this message, "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available." Hopefully SamMobile http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ has the update soon after the ota. Then download for your region and try to root again. It'll be a first for me too.

First of, you should never have to root again. The scary part is over. You should however install TWRP. Then when a new ROM gets released, you do a TWRP backup, and flash the new ROM . No muss, no fuss. You should also be using Titanium Backup on a regular basis so that you always have a current backup of your apps and data. Much faster, easier and SAFER than an OTA backup from the manufacturer.

Hello Aybesea69, are there just stock ROMS of the OTA released?

I am familiar with TWRP, TB and flashing.

jaegorith

Jul 15, 2012
I was only able to update using Kies, not OTA. Root was gone.

Sent from my SM-T520 using XDA Premium HD app

jaegorith

Jul 15, 2012
So you were rooted, and updated using Kies? Then you lost root? Were you able to re-root?

Sorry, I haven't tried to re-root. I'm going to wait until custom ROMs are available. But yes to your other questions. While my device was rooted, whenever I checked for updates from the tablet, I kept getting the error message that my device is modified and no updates were available. So I installed Kies on my PC to check for updates. Kies found the latest update and installed it successfully. I lost root once the update completed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello

Thanks
    Jason

Hello

Thanks
    Jason

If you're feeling adventurous, there's this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2776206
    It's still in the early stages, but looks promising.
    So you were rooted, and updated using Kies? Then you lost root? Were you able to re-root?

Sorry, I haven't tried to re-root. I'm going to wait until custom ROMs are available. But yes to your other questions. While my device was rooted, whenever I checked for updates from the tablet, I kept getting the error message that my device is modified and no updates were available. So I installed Kies on my PC to check for updates. Kies found the latest update and installed it successfully. I lost root once the update completed.