[Q] CM11 for M8?

Search This thread

ng4

May 14, 2014
Hi XDA,

Recently I ordered an Att m8 and have a few noob questions about cyanogenmod.

1. The m8 isn't supported on cyanogenmod so do I unlock the bootloader using htcdev and then flash cyanogenmod? If not how would I go about getting cyanogenmod on my device?

2. Does cyanogenmod give you root privileges and if not how would I aquire them?

3. Also, what is Odin, I never really understood it.

neoreeps

Jul 1, 2014
Danville, CA
CM11 does support M8 and it's by far the best ROM IMHO. Used viper and gpe port but always go back to cm. You do not need odin and it's Sammy only. You need to root and soff. Using adb or fastboot is very easy. Google had ask the info.

Sent from my One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
1. Don't know why you think that. Just look in Original Development: http://xdaforums.com/att-htc-one-m8/orig-development

To flash any custom ROM, the basic sequence will be:

- Unlock bootloader via HTCDev.com
- Install custom recovery
- Transfer desired ROM to device
- Boot into recovery and flash the ROM

There is an excellent step-by-step guide here:
But since your goal is to install CM (instead of just root the stock ROM as the guide intends) you can stop at Step 8 of "Rooting Your Device", and instead transfer the CM ROM to your device and flash from recovery (similar to how the guide instructs to flash SuperSU..zip).

2. All the custom ROMs for this device are pre-rooted.

3. Odin is a root tool for Samsung. It does't apply or work in any way on HTC, so you can completely disregard in terms of this device.

Also, all questions should be posted in the Q&A forum section. I've reported to the mods to move it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts