[ROOT] Stock ICS Leak One-Click Root Tool

Search This thread

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Just to let you know, your tool works fine on the 501 ICS update (using the full 4 file install method) NVFlash to patched bootloader.

One thing I noticed, you have to use the remounter often, as the /system will lose RW and revert to RO after using an application. So it seems to be temporary.

Example; Use remounter to get RW on system. Open Root Explorer and change System to RW. Do your business. Close Root Explorer, come back a few minutes later, and you have to use remounter again.

Minor annoyance, but will probably need looking into.

Nice tool though!

ethan21

Feb 10, 2010
Works great on ics acer500 then using the tool to put recovery on I have flashed to flexreapers 12.5. Great work.

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
Just to let you know, your tool works fine on the 501 ICS update (using the full 4 file install method) NVFlash to patched bootloader.

One thing I noticed, you have to use the remounter often, as the /system will lose RW and revert to RO after using an application. So it seems to be temporary.

Example; Use remounter to get RW on system. Open Root Explorer and change System to RW. Do your business. Close Root Explorer, come back a few minutes later, and you have to use remounter again.

Minor annoyance, but will probably need looking into.

Nice tool though!

New remounter, better root method ;) have fun with 6.0! :3

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

moebigsley

Sep 16, 2008
It is perhaps something I'll look into in the near future but for now, v4.0 should help those with problems with mounting /system rw. The next step is making it easy to install CWM and a patched bootloader. This may come from me or it may not. Depends on if I have time and/or if I see a need for a tool for it. At the moment a batch script is probably adequate once in APX mode

And as for adb reboot bootloader, it appears to be working for me now :p

That's my question. I'll be honest, I am getting dizzy trying to keep on top of all these threads. I really want a tool that will allow me to root the device (leak .31) so that I can run CWM and install CM9. I had hopes that I could root with your method and then use acer recovery from the play store to install custom recovery. Now I have my doubts. Will that work? I gather that since I lack a patched bootloader, it will not.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
That's my question. I'll be honest, I am getting dizzy trying to keep on top of all these threads. I really want a tool that will allow me to root the device (leak .31) so that I can run CWM and install CM9. I had hopes that I could root with your method and then use acer recovery from the play store to install custom recovery. Now I have my doubts. Will that work? I gather that since I lack a patched bootloader, it will not.

The root tool, is only to get Root access on the Stock ICS. Unfortunately, to uopdate to the new patched bootloaders, You will have to do the NVFlash.

This is the way things go when new "leaked betas" come into the mainstream. Installing CWM from a rooted ICS is easy. Run AcerRecoveryInstaller from your rooted ICS. The bootloader is a different story.

There are "patched" kernels for some a500 ICS roms that run fine on the HC 3.0.1 bootloader. ATGadmin has one, as well as Civato. This will save you from the bootloader flash.

moebigsley

Sep 16, 2008
The root tool, is only to get Root access on the Stock ICS. Unfortunately, to uopdate to the new patched bootloaders, You will have to do the NVFlash.

This is the way things go when new "leaked betas" come into the mainstream. Installing CWM from a rooted ICS is easy. Run AcerRecoveryInstaller from your rooted ICS. The bootloader is a different story.

There are "patched" kernels for some a500 ICS roms that run fine on the HC 3.0.1 bootloader. ATGadmin has one, as well as Civato. This will save you from the bootloader flash.
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that updating to leak also updated your bootloader (from HC to ICS).

Am I to assume that is not enough? The ICS bootloader is 'locked' so to speak and needs to be patched or replaced via NVFlash?

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that updating to leak also updated your bootloader (from HC to ICS).

Am I to assume that is not enough? The ICS bootloader is 'locked' so to speak and needs to be patched or replaced via NVFlash?

For the 501 ICS, and the Stock ICS releases, yes, you are correct in you will need the unlocked Bootloader to get /System R-W.

As far as I know, the previous version of the root tool, only gives you half root on a stock ICS Bootloader and Stock kernel.

His new version 6, I have no idea what it does, as my previous question went unanswered.

The new ver6 is 43mb exe extracted. And no idea exactly what it does.

Does it install a new unlocked bootloader?
Can you run it on a previously rooted (with same tool) device?
Are there any changes in the remounter app that would benefit anybody with the previous version?

Forget facelock and the acer lockscreen for the 501. Not in the framework to support it.

Just some questions that go unanswered.

civato

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
Forget facelock and the acer lockscreen for the 501. Not in the framework to support it.

Just some questions that go unanswered.

Some info.
AcerRing and Lockscreen that comes with it are supported in framework that comes in the ICS 501 rom that vache posted. But as rom builder you still need to make it work.

webjunky

Jun 15, 2009
Hi all!

First off, I'm new to xda Developers so please excuse me if this is in the wrong forum! I thought I'd post information about a tool I wrote here which roots stock 4.0.3 leak on the A500, A501 and assumingly the A200 too. Its literally one click - just enable USB debugging. "ICS Root" also installs, optionally, FaceLock and Trebuchet (although FaceLock doesn't want to work. It lets you set it up though =P)

Since version 5.0.1 this also now works with the new 0.022.00 leak!

The full post is over at TegraOwners: http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=350

The only real system requirements are Windows (with .Net Framework 4) and an Iconia on the stock 4.0.3 leak. I hope somebody finds this useful :) its been tested by myself and a couple of TegraOwners users and it works well.

In terms of the technique used, it uses the great Jay Freeman's mempodroid exploit to gain root at which point it mounts /system rw and installs su, busybox and Superuser.apk so no real surprises there. Installing Trebuchet adds that apk to /system/app and installing FaceLock installs the apk to /system/app before installing the pittpatt folder to the flexrom (mounted as /system/vendor). I plan to open source it when all the requested features have been implemented and the code has been cleaned up.

Thanks!

~blackthund3r

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

why do i need to install a downloader ? ( ilividsetup.exe )

aerichards1977

Mar 12, 2011
OnePlus 10 Pro
I tried to run this with the new version that updated on my Acer. It runs, but does not install anything and does not reboot my tablet when finished (yes, the check is not there). What else can I do to try and gain root? Nothing works so far. Thanks

UniSonBBS

Apr 17, 2012
When I try to download the file, this is what I get.

Invalid download key.

Please click here and try your download again

lavs23

Jul 9, 2010
Thanks! This worked great on the OTA 1.033.00. I did the OTA upgrade from a rooted stock ROM and had no issues. Well done!

nishka256

Apr 27, 2012
Interesting I used tegraowners black thunder root 6.0 and successfully rooted my tablet after official updated Acer a500. My build number is the 1.033 Gen 2. However on this black thunder root my build number is not listed as supported but it worked and rooted my tablet. Does it make any difference?.. also what is the remount app for?

Successfully rooted Acer a500 gen2 after official Acer update
Sent from my A500 using xda premium

xenon2000

Jul 29, 2011
I just did the OTA ICS update this morning. At work now. But I was thinking of rooting tonight. But I just thought of something. Can it be unrooted to apply future updates? Of course it would be really nice if I could somehow backup the stock ICS image from this update to restore if I needed to.

In the past I just used an app to root and unroot at will. So when the 3.2 OTA update came, it was simply to unroot and do the OTA update. Does the process listed in this thread have an unroot process?

nishka256

Apr 27, 2012
So you have to unroot to receive updates? I'm asking because I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Sorry. My tablet was rooted before update Acer a500 and I still received the ics update without having to unroot. Then I just rerooted after update.

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

xenon2000

Jul 29, 2011
Now that several people have successfully rooted the stock OTA ICS update that came out today. Has anyone tried to unroot? And what is the process to unroot?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

First off, I'm new to xda Developers so please excuse me if this is in the wrong forum! I thought I'd post information about a tool I wrote here which roots stock 4.0.3 leak on the A500, A501 and assumingly the A200 too. Its literally one click - just enable USB debugging. "ICS Root" also installs, optionally, FaceLock and Trebuchet (although FaceLock doesn't want to work. It lets you set it up though =P)

Since version 5.0.1 this also now works with the new 0.022.00 leak!

The full post is over at TegraOwners: http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=350

The only real system requirements are Windows (with .Net Framework 4) and an Iconia on the stock 4.0.3 leak. I hope somebody finds this useful :) its been tested by myself and a couple of TegraOwners users and it works well.

In terms of the technique used, it uses the great Jay Freeman's mempodroid exploit to gain root at which point it mounts /system rw and installs su, busybox and Superuser.apk so no real surprises there. Installing Trebuchet adds that apk to /system/app and installing FaceLock installs the apk to /system/app before installing the pittpatt folder to the flexrom (mounted as /system/vendor). I plan to open source it when all the requested features have been implemented and the code has been cleaned up.

Thanks!

~blackthund3r

EDIT 14/05/2012: ICS Root 7 is out ;) enjoy!

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
    At first this didn't work then I plugged my a500 into a differentUSB port then it was fine thank you works awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Glad it worked for ya :)

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2
    Note to you all: this tool does NOT touch the OTA apps. It should not, therefore, affect OTA on ICS (AFAIK).
    To unroot simply remove the files which ICS Root adds (I.e. remove busybox, its symlinks, su, Superuser.apk,Remounter.API,sysro & sysrw :)

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2
    cwm version?

why would it not work with cwm version?
    Thank you so much for your rooting method. The One-click ver. 7.1.1 worked on the tablet!! I haven't tested the unrooting method but will do so later on!! I also installed your A500 manager script which is GREAT as well!! Though for some reason, when going into recovery I only see the droid with the triangle and exclamation mark in it. I don't see the TWRP which i had installed. In any case, I'll look it up further and see what is it I'm doing wrong ;)!!! A big Thanks once again!

Device Info which was rooted (in case anybody is wondering):
    Model Number = A500
    Android Version = 4.0.3
    Kernel Version = 2.6.39.4+
    Image Version = Acer_AV041_A500_RV05RC01_PA_CUS1
    Build Number = Acer_AV041_A500_1.033.00_PA_CUS1

Keep up the good work!

Glad it helped! The unroot tool is rubbish by the way - just ignore it ;P

If you want recovery you need to unlock your bootloader using something like my APX Flash Tool. Find a bundle which has a recovery installed too :)

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2