Fixing NT stuck with CWM, restore / update won't work

Search This thread

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
And where is a SDcard based CWM image I can use? I did download the other file you posted. However, my SD card won't mount now. :(
I found one method that insists on running Ubuntu to do it. If I have to go to those lengths to make this thing work again, I may have an expensive paperweight.
To create a SDcard CWM recovery for flashing flashable_fix_bootloop.zip, you can adapt the procedure outlined at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35669871&postcount=1, but:
  • substitute in flashable_fix_bootloop.zip in steps 2(c/d)/7/8; and,
  • skip step 6.
See also http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37515697&postcount=31 for more background info/tips.

Reactions: GeekyMaestro

GeekyMaestro

Jan 9, 2012
To create a SDcard CWM recovery for flashing flashable_fix_bootloop.zip, you can adapt the procedure outlined at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35669871&postcount=1, but:
  • substitute in flashable_fix_bootloop.zip in steps 2(c/d)/7/8; and,
  • skip step 6.
See also http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37515697&postcount=31 for more background info/tips.

I can get to the Boot Menu using this method but the menu will not let me select SDC Recovery.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I can get to the Boot Menu using this method but the menu will not let me select SDC Recovery.
In step 2(b), did you rename cwm_6012_sd.img to recovery.img before copying it to the SDcard /boot partition?

If you are going to use the CWM SDcard only to flash flashable_fix_bootloop.zip, you can also just rename cwm_6012_sd.img to boot.img in which case Cyanoboot would just boot into CWM.

Last edited:

GeekyMaestro

Jan 9, 2012
In step 2(b), did you rename cwm_6012_sd.img to recovery.img before copying it to the SDcard /boot partition?

If you are going to use the CWM SDcard only to flash flashable_fix_bootloop.zip, you can also just rename cwm_6012_sd.img to boot.img in which case Cyanoboot would just boot into CWM.

Yeah I did all those steps. I can get it to boot to CWM on the SD card, but the options to run recovery or anything else from SD are faded out. Only internal options are available. I'm losing hope on this device being functional. There may be a faulty hardware issue here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many people are getting what they are calling a bricked Nook tablet that won't boot or restore an OS. Often when they boot into CWM (from internal or SD) they get errors on screen, or possibly after an attempted install they show in the advanced / log

E:Can't mount / cache/recovery/command/
    E:Can't mount / cache/recovery/log/
    E:Can't open / cache/recovery/log/
    E:Can't mount / cache/recovery/last_log/
    E:Can't open / cache/recovery/last_log/
    failed to open/sys/class/android_usb/state: No such file or directory

This is actually an extremely common issue it seems. Basically its' quite likely you're partition map has some how been damaged.

Firstly just make sure you can't install an update or restore an old backup from SD, if that still fails and you end up straight back in CWM

All you need to do is download the parted binary HERE extract it from the archive and push it to your device or even just put it on an SD

ADB into your device and run the binary with the following command (you'll need it to be the accesible path or you can just be in the directory where it is)

parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print

It will most likely show up with an error and ask if you want to fix it. Just say yes and let it do its' thing.

After it completes, reboot your device and see if you still get the same errors, Attempt to install CM7 once more.

If it still doesn't work, run the parted command again then download Adams total wipe and run that. It'll reset your device back to total stock. The parted command will repair the partition table and adamoutlers software will upload all the required software to the correct places for it all to work

Hope that helps!

If you get stuck feel free to give me a shout
    NT full brick...unable to recover.

My NT is suffering from the CM7-SD format brick problem.

I have hunted high and low for instructions on how to get ADB to work on a bricked NT. My NT is in a state where the only thing that boots on it is an SD-based CWM, but when I plug the NT into a PC, no matter what I do, CWM recovery starts up and the PC detects the unit as disk drives. ADB will NOT find the unit. I have tried on two separate Win7 machines...same problem on both.

I have also tried using Adam's total wipe fix, and while linux boot, the full wipe just hangs forever on the first step (zeroing MLO).

I am not sure I have the right USB drivers...basically, I'm using the ones I had for my long-gone Nook Color.

Can anyone offer me some help?

Thanks.
    More details...

It's not actually caused by formatting SD on CM7 any more. you could happily format your SD all day, although we still recommend not formatting anything at all via the NT.

If you have CWM you should have access to ADB, the probably reason it doesn't work for you is that you need to tell your computer what the id is on the device so that it can recognise it. What operating system are you using?

Here's a brief history, as best I can recall, of how I got where I am with my NT.

1. Installed NT CM7 about a week ago. All worked well until I noticed Kindle app misbehaving by not flipping pages on a book. I tried same book on two other android devices, and both worked fine. So...

2. In a complete act of stupidity, I went into 'Storage' on the NT, and noticing that there were 3 sections listed there (whose names escape me, but something like 'Internal SD', 'SD' and 'External SD'), I formatted all 3 (yup, dumb).

3. I shut down the NT (10 second press of power), and from there on in, tablet hung at 'N' screen. I manages to get CWM to start, using a combination of buttons I now don't recall (Power and Volume Up, perhaps?).

4. For reasons I can only describe as lunacy, I used Recovery to format everything it listed as format-able (under Mounts/Storage). From this point on, the tablet would not boot at all, not even back into CWM Recovery.

5. Thru online searching, I found an image for making a bootable CWM Recovery, which I created and used successfully to boot into recovery. I used it unsuccessfully to try to re-install CM7.

6. I then tried getting an ADB connection so I could try the various other fixes offered online, but have been completely unable to get a connection. I followed the instructions found in XDA thread ID 1424563 (sorry, I'm too junior to have link-posting permissions), but the thread assumes I can get to the NT's settings to turn on debug mode, which I can't.

7. As mentioned, I also tried Adam's full wipe/restore, but it hangs on phase one (zeroing MLO).

That's the crux of it, for what it's worth. I think my big issue right now is not being able to get ADB to work with it. If I could, I could try the partition command you gave in the OP.

Thanks for any help or ideas...
    Here's a brief history, as best I can recall, of how I got where I am with my NT.

1. Installed NT CM7 about a week ago. All worked well until I noticed Kindle app misbehaving by not flipping pages on a book. I tried same book on two other android devices, and both worked fine. So...

2. In a complete act of stupidity, I went into 'Storage' on the NT, and noticing that there were 3 sections listed there (whose names escape me, but something like 'Internal SD', 'SD' and 'External SD'), I formatted all 3 (yup, dumb).

3. I shut down the NT (10 second press of power), and from there on in, tablet hung at 'N' screen. I manages to get CWM to start, using a combination of buttons I now don't recall (Power and Volume Up, perhaps?).

4. For reasons I can only describe as lunacy, I used Recovery to format everything it listed as format-able (under Mounts/Storage). From this point on, the tablet would not boot at all, not even back into CWM Recovery.

5. Thru online searching, I found an image for making a bootable CWM Recovery, which I created and used successfully to boot into recovery. I used it unsuccessfully to try to re-install CM7.

6. I then tried getting an ADB connection so I could try the various other fixes offered online, but have been completely unable to get a connection. I followed the instructions found in XDA thread ID 1424563 (sorry, I'm too junior to have link-posting permissions), but the thread assumes I can get to the NT's settings to turn on debug mode, which I can't.

7. As mentioned, I also tried Adam's full wipe/restore, but it hangs on phase one (zeroing MLO).

That's the crux of it, for what it's worth. I think my big issue right now is not being able to get ADB to work with it. If I could, I could try the partition command you gave in the OP.

Thanks for any help or ideas...

you should have damaged the partition tables, so please make a CMW card first, and then you can use adb shell to repair the partition table.
    you can refer to this thread:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22157605&postcount=25
    The old drivers and instructions you linked to worked...ADB now finds my NT! :) Thanks much!

Now...

I did the 'parted' thing, and while 3 or 4 errors were reported thru the process, it stated it completed successfully. I then rebooted with my CWM Recovery SD card and attempted to re-install CM7. The installer completed quite quickly and without errors, but it did not work (as I suspected it wouldn't, given how fast it executed). I then ran 'Brick_fix.zip', and it, too, completed successfully (well, except for the ping at the end), but I was unable to install CM7. So...

I'm now on to Adam's fix (note in the OP) and I'm glad to report it's working now. It got past the first stage (zeroing MLO) and is in the middle of 'flashing factory'. Sweet!

I'll report back in the morning, hopefully with good news. Thanks so much for the help, everyone.

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night, I had already gone to bed, looks like you've already got the help you need though. If the wiping had started to work you'll be fine :) lesson learnt though, DO NOT FORMAT ANYTHING ON NT ;)

Let us know it's fixed (which I'm sure it will be ;) )