Volume button repair gone wrong.

Search This thread

iPWNtehNOOB

Dec 14, 2011
So a few weeks ago my brother spilled the tiniest drop of soft drink on my volume buttons, and they've been sticky ever since. Today I finally built up the courage to open my Nexus 5 to clean the buttons. I was extremely gentle as always, and there's no visible damage to the device. I wiped away at the gunk with a dry microfiber cloth and put everything back together again. When I tried to turn the phone on, I could hear Viber messages coming through, but the display wasn't working. I thought maybe I had knocked the LCD connector so I opened the casing again and made sure all ribbons were secured and closed everything back up again. Well now I get nothing. No display and no sounds.

I've called Google and explained the issue, minus my repairs and they've agreed to send me a new handset which should be here within the week, and I'll send in my device when the replacement arrives. Out of curiosity though, what happens if they find the handset was tampered with? Will they automatically bill my credit card seeing as I already have the replacement?

TheAtheistOtaku

Oct 18, 2011
Buffalo
So a few weeks ago my brother spilled the tiniest drop of soft drink on my volume buttons, and they've been sticky ever since. Today I finally built up the courage to open my Nexus 5 to clean the buttons. I was extremely gentle as always, and there's no visible damage to the device. I wiped away at the gunk with a dry microfiber cloth and put everything back together again. When I tried to turn the phone on, I could hear Viber messages coming through, but the display wasn't working. I thought maybe I had knocked the LCD connector so I opened the casing again and made sure all ribbons were secured and closed everything back up again. Well now I get nothing. No display and no sounds.

I've called Google and explained the issue, minus my repairs and they've agreed to send me a new handset which should be here within the week, and I'll send in my device when the replacement arrives. Out of curiosity though, what happens if they find the handset was tampered with? Will they automatically bill my credit card seeing as I already have the replacement?

from what i understand of how google does RMA's, they take a deposit from your account for the replacement they sent you and refund it when they receive your defective device. So im guessing that they will just keep whatever they take out.
Though i could be wrong, ive didnt have to rma my device, and im basing this on what ive read

pgptheoriginal

Mar 16, 2011
Stockholm
from what i understand of how google does RMA's, they take a deposit from your account for the replacement they sent you and refund it when they receive your defective device. So im guessing that they will just keep whatever they take out.
Though i could be wrong, ive didnt have to rma my device, and im basing this on what ive read

They don't take the money, they do just block it on your credit card ;)
In my case, Google released the whole sum as soon as I handed the defective N5 to UPS and sent them the tracking number, so there's nothing to worry about :good:

iPWNtehNOOB

Dec 14, 2011
Well, the replacement arrived yesterday. I tried to book a time to have the defective unit picked up, but the link that Support emailed me doesn't work, so they're looking into that for me.

Strangely though, the authorization on my credit card has disappeared, even though I haven't sent the unit back.