Overhead locker proof case

Search This thread

Jerseyman

Aug 22, 2007
I have a 12.2 on order.

I will need to take it on planes quite often, so I'm looking for a small message-bag type case that is tough enough to protect the Tablet from the increasing crush that occurs in most overhead lockers these days.

I like the size of the Icidu, but suspect that it may not be strong enough? so any other suggestions would be welcome.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
My daily bag which I also use on trips is a Timbuk2 Commute. When traveling I'm able to stuff it with one of their extra small Snoop camera inserts to carry my DSLR with a small spare lens, my 15-inch MacBook Pro, the Note pro (which itself is in a book style case) and accessories. Works for me, though I'm starting to look at going with a Tumi Alpha 2 backpack (pricey as heck).

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Jerseyman

Aug 22, 2007
Thanks, back packs are not for me unfortunately. I think I will probably need to get an Otterbox - or cheaper alternative together with a small messenger bag

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks, back packs are not for me unfortunately. I think I will probably need to get an Otterbox - or cheaper alternative together with a small messenger bag

To clarify, I was not referring to a backpack initially. This is the bag I was referring to in my post.

http://www.timbuk2.com/commute-tsa-...269-2-4125_size=5&dwvar_269-2-4125_color=2001

It comes in 3 sizes, I'm currently using the medium sized bag but if one only needs to carry the note pro in the laptop compartment then the small bag would work fine.

There's padding on the outside of the flap but I'd still put the tablet in a case since I'd want the ability to prop the tablet up in various positions for viewing or typing.

mikespe

Dec 19, 2010
To clarify, I was not referring to a backpack initially. This is the bag I was referring to in my post.

http://www.timbuk2.com/commute-tsa-...269-2-4125_size=5&dwvar_269-2-4125_color=2001

It comes in 3 sizes, I'm currently using the medium sized bag but if one only needs to carry the note pro in the laptop compartment then the small bag would work fine.

There's padding on the outside of the flap but I'd still put the tablet in a case since I'd want the ability to prop the tablet up in various positions for viewing or typing.

Damn that's an expensive bag. It better have an alarm system and electrocute any potential the if at that price!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Damn that's an expensive bag. It better have an alarm system and electrocute any potential the if at that price!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Value's subjective, what matters is what works for you anyhow. $110 isn't that expensive to me for what I got IMO, all depends on perspective and financial situation I guess. Heck the Tumi backpack that I'm looking at now is $500 LOL. I want it but have the same thoughts you're expressing about the $110 one . . I think I'll try out a samsonite backpack instead for the time being for times when I want to switch things up a little.

As far as the Timbuk2 Commute I'm sure there's cheaper stuff out there but this one ticked the right boxes for me at the time of purchase. It needed to be able to have a laptop compartment and tablet compartment. The laptop compartment had to be TSA rated as I'm not fond of pulling laptops out at TSA checkpoints to show the world what I have in my bag. The back of the bag had to have a means by which the bag could be attached to the handle of rolling luggage to assist me in getting from baggage claim to shuttles.

Hitting up ebags.com, picking messenger bags and then checkpoint friendly will get a list of alternatives. There's some $50 ones out there but in terms of features you start to lose some. All depends on what you want.

Looking forward to seeing other suggestions. I'm looking at traveling more in the next year so I'm in the market for other good bags.

mikespe

Dec 19, 2010
Value's subjective, what matters is what works for you anyhow. $110 isn't that expensive to me for what I got IMO, all depends on perspective and financial situation I guess. Heck the Tumi backpack that I'm looking at now is $500 LOL. I want it but have the same thoughts you're expressing about the $110 one . . I think I'll try out a samsonite backpack instead for the time being for times when I want to switch things up a little.

As far as the Timbuk2 Commute I'm sure there's cheaper stuff out there but this one ticked the right boxes for me at the time of purchase. It needed to be able to have a laptop compartment and tablet compartment. The laptop compartment had to be TSA rated as I'm not fond of pulling laptops out at TSA checkpoints to show the world what I have in my bag. The back of the bag had to have a means by which the bag could be attached to the handle of rolling luggage to assist me in getting from baggage claim to shuttles.

Hitting up ebags.com, picking messenger bags and then checkpoint friendly will get a list of alternatives. There's some $50 ones out there but in terms of features you start to lose some. All depends on what you want.

Looking forward to seeing other suggestions. I'm looking at traveling more in the next year so I'm in the market for other good bags.

Check out the Samsonite Luggage Tectonic Backpack and the Samsonite Luggage Xenon 2 Messenger Bag .......both are on sale at eBag.com right now too (there are some discount codes floating around. Both are TSA approved too I believe...

Reactions: muzzy996

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Check out the Samsonite Luggage Tectonic Backpack and the Samsonite Luggage Xenon 2 Messenger Bag .......both are on sale at eBag.com right now too (there are some discount codes floating around. Both are TSA approved too I believe...

Thanks mikespe.

Yup the Samsonite backpack is on my radar. Actually looking at the Xenon 2 Backpack model since I want something more reserved looking and businesslike. The Xenon 2 Messenger Bag isn't TSA friendly although it looks nice (lacks the zippered back compartment to fold out a laptop without taking it out).

The TechTectonic looks cool for active use.

mikespe

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks mikespe.

Yup the Samsonite backpack is on my radar. Actually looking at the Xenon 2 Backpack model since I want something more reserved looking and businesslike. The Xenon 2 Messenger Bag isn't TSA friendly although it looks nice (lacks the zippered back compartment to fold out a laptop without taking it out).

The TechTectonic looks cool for active use.

I've been eyeing up the Tectonic for a few days now...I just not sure if it's too big for my needs. I have my work laptop & accessories as well as my private tech toys. I originally wanted to keep them in separate bags but after seeing this backpack I am rethinking that. THere seems to be plenty of room for me to keep things separate in the same bag with the Tectonic...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.