• uploadfromtaptalk1357334013815.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357334013815.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,894
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357334032855.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357334032855.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,779

kwenteen

Apr 21, 2009
this is awesome... great soldering job!... but i noticed in the pic that you left one pin un soldered... any reason why? is it specific?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

If you compare pin to pin a micro and a standard sdcard, you ll see that there is one more pin on the standard sd... if you rip open a standard microsd to sdcard adapter (the empty sdcard with a micro sd slot) you can easily figure which pin isn t used on microsd card ! :p
Dunno what it s meant for thus!

Mrcptguy,
Where did you found such a battery ?? And what autonomy can you get with it? ? The original one is already the best one I ve ever seen.:silly:

Reactions: MafestoPresents

mrcrptguy

Could it be possible you are in the wrong thread?:laugh:

Nope, I was asked to detail how I came to use a 6500mah in my Otter Box previously in the thread.
To the OP: not trying to hijack your thread but the combination of our mods would be the s**t. Lol.
Then there's always the people who say "why would you want to do that to such an expensive and sleek device?" I always think to myself, why not?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

Techronico

Mar 1, 2009
Santa Clara
Could it be possible you are in the wrong thread?:laugh:

I was the one who asked. Sorry to hijack, but it will pass. :highfive:

Nope, I was asked to detail how I came to use a 6500mah in my Otter Box previously in the thread.
To the OP: not trying to hijack your thread but the combination of our mods would be the s**t. Lol.
Then there's always the people who say "why would you want to do that to such an expensive and sleek device?" I always think to myself, why not?

Thanks again for the pics. I am thinking of trying this with the Anker Battery and the Black Rhino case (Both pretty cheap from Amazon). Did yours add any additional thickness beyond the cutout (ie Was it bulging the silicone).

To anyone else who thinks this is in the wrong thread... lighten up a bit. This is hardly going to stop you from chopping yo' junk to make 128GeeBees on your phone... When I mod my phone and case, I promise to create a new thread. :D

OP...Sorry for the brief delay, on with the regularly scheduled program. ;)

livingaboard

Jan 29, 2012
yeah, there is pretty much no way in hell that I would ever attempt this backyard mechanic hack job with my nice phone.

m4xwellmurd3r

Feb 4, 2011
Oh snap I might have to do this to my phone now. Ive almost filled up my 64 gig card with games and lots and lots of music.
Take that iphone and your overly priced non-expandable memory!

Soldering on that scale is no problem for me at all. How much did you trim off the 128 card? Or was it just the adapter you hacked up?

Ill bet all that enamel wire I ripped out of my headphones would work great for this.

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
Oh snap I might have to do this to my phone now. Ive almost filled up my 64 gig card with games and lots and lots of music. Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

EXACTLY. I've always wanted my entire music collection with me and it's about 70GB so this whole 64gb cap for the last couple years has been killing me. Now I'll have all music+tons of room for misc nerd stuff and probably another 40gb free or so for video files, awesome. Oh, and I had to look at the 256gb cards on Amazon as well... Too bad they're $450 ish!

Speaking of SD cards, is there a preference for this mod? Would SDHC OR SDXC work better? I'm leaning towards SDXC as I think that's a little newer and probably more Samsumg friendly as far as exfat goes. Anyone habe insight on that?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

kwenteen

Apr 21, 2009
For parts... is there a cheaper microsd with ribbon cable available than this one that's 28 USD?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221149976391

$(KGrHqFHJC0FCBJ7bUM,BQl3WoU1O!~~60_3.JPG

There is another ref in the first post link, costs about 5 bucks!

You should know that soldering directly to the ribbon is not very easy, you have to peel carefully the varnish on the top of electric tracks to expose without destroying them !
Then once the solder is applied and the wires correctly soldered on, be carefull to fix it in place with glue !
On the other side, when you are putting some solder paste on the sdcard connectors, don t overheat it ! The pcb is really thin, and on the other side is the memory, that you don t want to desolder !
To reduce the thickness of the mod, I used a dremel to remove the top part of the plastic shell and some of the side, while keeping approx half of the shell beneath (on the connector side) to protect the pcb.

Still, I think there must be a way to replace the ribbon/fake microsd. I tried do make my own in plastic, but didn t know how to put electrical tracks on them...
If anyone had an idea... to replace it that would be great !

Boujou bien,
K.

dominick_7

Feb 4, 2007
These mods are awesome! Serious props to you both! A step by step guide for each would be amazing.

For the battery mod:
Was considering getting the Hyperion 6400 battery and the Seidio Active with kickstand.. you think that mod could work with that case? Wonder if NFC would still work.

For the SD Card mod:
No matter what you can't keep NFC right? Even if you get an extended battery + case? Would be amazing to be able to have the 16 (in reality 11GBs) + 128GBs at 134GBs or so after format? Wonder if there's a way to install apps to the SD Card without rooting. Had only like 2-3GBs of room left over from just the first or second day after I received my Note 2 with games and apps installed. Would be amazing to be able to put my entire music collection on there as well.

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
Parts ordered. While I'm an amateur solder guy, I have access to micro miniature solder techs theough my work who could do this stuff in their sleep without burning anything so I'll hand this one over to them. Thanks OP!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,
    here is a little mod to add a 128 GB sdcard in the galaxy note 2 microSD slot...
    It's derived from my original mod, that was much more thick, ugly, and phone warranty killer =>
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1356754
    This mod won't work directly on the galaxy note 2, unless I destroy the NFC module that is covering the microSD slot.
    So I decided to go another way :
    I kept only the microSD adapter, soldered some Kynar wire on it, and soldered it directly to my 128 GB LEXAR SDcard, that I stripped down a little too, for this mod to be as thin as possible... as you can see on the pics, the wire and the soldering on the microSD side are englued with Thermal glue to add resistance when manipulating. I added tape also to protect the circuit of the SDcard.
    I shaped the wire this way so the SDcard rest in the middle of the battery, so the bulge is almost invisible when the case is back on !
    The card is FAT32 formatted, so no problem on compatibility, and I don't have files bigger than 4GB, so no problem for me !
    That's it, no more, no less, and it works like a charm !
    PC210004.jpg PC210002.jpg

PC210001.jpg

Boujou bien,
    K.
    Can you detail this 6500mAh mod?

Here are some pics

gemera2a.jpg

My battery cover fits and snaps on all corners but it bulges in a couple spots. It still fits perfectly in my Seidio Active case, so I'm a very happy camper. Now if I can just get my iBolt car dock running usb audio out I have 600+ music albums in V0 variable bit rate just waiting to pulse through my car speakers. From here on out, I will not purchase a phone with less than 128gb of memory. :D
    Sent from my GIANT internet thingy.
    Finally some pics. I put mine higher than the battery to make room for a qi wireless charging receiver and as such you can see my battery cover has a hard time closing up top. Doesn't matter to me as I use a seidio surface case and everything is great!
    ha2eja5a.jpg

ynu5umet.jpg

Sent from my GIANT internet thingy.
    Where can I get the adaptor? I think I might try this, I cut my otter box down the 2nd day after buying it, I now run a 6500mah extended battery inside with virtually no added thickness.

Can you detail this 6500mAh mod?