AT&T 4.2.2 update rolling out now!

Search This thread

wannabegt4

Jul 1, 2008
C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash revocery twrprecovery.img
sending 'revocery' (8176 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.045s]
writing 'revocery'...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 1.079s

This can't be good. Maybe I missed a step somewhere.

bill_west63

Mar 7, 2010
C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash revocery twrprecovery.img
sending 'revocery' (8176 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.045s]
writing 'revocery'...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 1.079s

This can't be good. Maybe I missed a step somewhere.

Got mine back to unlocked via HTCdev then went through the root process and installed custom recovery using the One_X_ATT_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1 toolkit.

Got root back, TWRP installed, S-Off and unlocked the bootloader.
Surprised me it still worked with the new version.

wannabegt4

Jul 1, 2008
Maybe you should check your typing.

LOL... Yeah maybe I should have had a coffee first. I'm still not awake.

That's better:
C:\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery twrprecovery.img
sending 'recovery' (8176 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.045s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 3.463s]
finished. total time: 4.508s

Now time for root and de-bloat.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
It's a stock firmware update so if you are s off I don't think it will work. Could potentially brick your phone

This is most likely false. AFAIK s-off in itself will not prevent you from getting an update or installing it. Custom recovery will force the update to fail, as OTAs require stock recovery to be present. This is the main reason folks with modded phones have trouble installing OTAs.

In fact, if you are modded or want to, s-off is probably the safest state to be in if you want to try to install the OTA. S-off virtually guarantees that any increased safety measures (which have been implemented with every new official AT&T firmware) do not close the loopholes needed for root, installing custom ROMs, etc.

Reactions: Headroom and X96

undivide

Dec 16, 2013
Bear, Delaware
Google Pixel 5a
has anyone got this OTA update with their AT&T One X(L) while not actually on AT&T network? I'm on straight talk. Don't think it should matter though. I might go back to stock today after something quirky happened to my phone where my alarm didn't go off 2 days in a row almost made me late for work!

Headroom

Nov 16, 2008
"Increased safety measures"

What I'd really like to know is what "Increased safety measures", as redpoint73 mentioned, this update may have. I have a stock HOX and I lost wireless hotspot with the last update. I wonder what surprises this one may bring?

wannabegt4

Jul 1, 2008
Bloat

In addition to the normal bloat that we are used to they have added KeyVPN, Keeper, and Lookout Security. None of which can be uninstalled without root.

ki4mqz

Nov 30, 2007
Anybody willing to post a download to the OTA? I am S-off SuperCID Relocked with the stock recovery flashed and latest stock 4.1.1 rom and the update will not download.

wannabegt4

Jul 1, 2008
Anybody willing to post a download to the OTA? I am S-off SuperCID Relocked with the stock recovery flashed and latest stock 4.1.1 rom and the update will not download.

I had a heck of a time getting it to download last night. I had to do the 3.18 RUU then do the small 16MB update then do a factory reset, then set the date forward a day and download the larger update, the update got stuck and I had to factory reset again to get the updater to try and download the update a second time.

ki4mqz

Nov 30, 2007
I did the 3.18 RUU but I cant even get to the 16mb file. When I hit the "Check for updates" button, It acts like its looking then just dissappears.

twistedddx

Oct 23, 2010

wannabegt4

Jul 1, 2008
Are you on the AT&T network?

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

wannabegt4, you managed to snag and upload the 3.18.502.9 update; are you able to do the same for the 5.18.502.1 update?
I'll have to downgrade to 3.18 then try and grab it from /cache/ before I update. I had planned on doing that but I was running out of time last night and needed a working phone for work today. Can anyone point me in right direction to downgrade? Is is as simple as running the 3.18RUU?

Headroom

Nov 16, 2008
Some of you might have a hard time getting this update, but my HOX is suggesting I update, by itself, every 10 minutes.

ez4nick

Jul 2, 2012
I have S-off and the 2.14 firmware I believe. Previously I ran the 3.18 RUU to upgrade my firmware. Right now I have a custom recovery and rom, is it safe to do the 3.18 RUU, or is there any more steps I need to do before doing it (relock bootloader, then unlock it again after?) just want to be sure I don't do anything stupid.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys I just posted on the HOX group on my Google+ and want to share with all of you
    (https://plus.google.com/108770751699893281507/posts/FPaErCW2JAH)

Great news... RUU has been released. Download at:
    http://dl3.htc.com/application/HTC_One_X_RUU_5.18.502.1.exe
    Just checked for an update and it is downloading now. Let's see how badly I can mess up my phone doing an OTA while rooted with several xposed modules installed.

OTA update files can be downloaded here:
    http://www.androidfilehost.com/?a=show&w=files&flid=11697

Use twistedddx's instructions below to flash:

You need:
    1)Stock 3.18.502.6 install. eg 3.18.502.6 RUU
    2)S-On and CWS__001 or S-Off and supercid. Must be S-Off
    3)stock recovery, eg 3.18.502.6 RUU
    4)Place 3.18.502.9 OTApkg.zip on phone storage (16mb)
    5)boot into stock recovery
    6)press volup + power repeatedly until menu appears
    7)install from phone storage
    8)select the OTAPkg.zip
    9)boot rom
    10)place 5.18.502.1 OTAPkg.zip on phone storage (527mb)
    11)boot into stock recovery
    12)press volup + power repeatedly until menu appears
    13)install from phone storage
    14)select the OTAPkg.zip
    15)boot rom

Do not confuse your OTAPkg.zip files, you could rename them prior to placing them on your phone to something less confusing.
    ---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Updates must be flashed in order, none can be skipped.
    I was unsuccessful in getting it installed. With the stock recovery, the SD card wouldn't mound. I tried CWM and couldn't get it to go. Im out of ideas.

You need:
    1)Stock 3.18.502.6 install. eg 3.18.502.6 RUU
    2)S-On and CWS__001 or S-Off and supercid, but NOT S-On and supercid.
    3)stock recovery, eg 3.18.502.6 RUU
    4)Place 3.18.502.9 OTApkg.zip on phone storage (16mb)
    5)boot into stock recovery
    6)press volup + power repeatedly until menu appears
    7)install from phone storage
    8)select the OTAPkg.zip
    9)boot rom
    10)place 5.18.502.1 OTAPkg.zip on phone storage (527mb)
    11)boot into stock recovery
    12)press volup + power repeatedly until menu appears
    13)install from phone storage
    14)select the OTAPkg.zip
    15)boot rom

Do not confuse your OTAPkg.zip files, you could rename them prior to placing them on your phone to something less confusing.

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Is it ok to update the phone directly by using bigger update (573mb) or 16mb pre update is really required. What if I tried to update the phone by RUU (manually, from HTC support page) without 16mb pre update.

Updates must be flashed in order, none can be skipped.
    It's a stock firmware update so if you are s off I don't think it will work. Could potentially brick your phone

This is most likely false. AFAIK s-off in itself will not prevent you from getting an update or installing it. Custom recovery will force the update to fail, as OTAs require stock recovery to be present. This is the main reason folks with modded phones have trouble installing OTAs.

In fact, if you are modded or want to, s-off is probably the safest state to be in if you want to try to install the OTA. S-off virtually guarantees that any increased safety measures (which have been implemented with every new official AT&T firmware) do not close the loopholes needed for root, installing custom ROMs, etc.