[DEV] - HomeCatcher Redirect n Button to any Launcher

Search This thread

xecuter

Oct 11, 2008
Ok so if someone could help me out by telling me what im doing wrong here I would greatly appreciate it.

1. download the apk from this thread on nt.
2. open notification tab and select HomeCatcher app.
3. nt asks "complete action using app installer or package installer?
4. Selected app installer and I get this message "Unable to install: This application was not able to install onto you device. Please archive and the unarchive the application to try again."

Plus I cant find where the file downloaded in root explorer. On top of that ive tried downloading it from my computer and placing it both on the nt memory and micro sd card and it gives me the same thing.

Thanks in advance.

I selected package installer instead. mine works. you can give it a try. :D

Reactions: mtornero

clhdpgh

Nov 18, 2011
Ok so if someone could help me out by telling me what im doing wrong here I would greatly appreciate it.

1. download the apk from this thread on nt.
2. open notification tab and select HomeCatcher app.
3. nt asks "complete action using app installer or package installer?
4. Selected app installer and I get this message "Unable to install: This application was not able to install onto you device. Please archive and the unarchive the application to try again."

Plus I cant find where the file downloaded in root explorer. On top of that ive tried downloading it from my computer and placing it both on the nt memory and micro sd card and it gives me the same thing.

Thanks in advance.

Use "package installer" option.

Pito67

Aug 26, 2009
Can anybody here that has this working post a how to or a procedure I cannot make this work and really wonder if anyone truly does....:confused::confused::confused:

I'm in the same boat, I have tried several times and if I pick any default either gets all the time the nook home screen or my launcher, but I have never been able to make it to work correctly. I even had uninstalled , clear defaults but still I haven't been able to configure it correctly.

Can someone post a clear way to set it up.

partaker

Nov 23, 2011
Has anyone attempted to do a factory restore after installing this app? It installed automatically with t-r-i-c-k's mac script, but when I later tried to do a factory restore, it didn't seem to recognize the "N" button and would just shut down. Now I have to go in for an exchange.

xdajunkman

Nov 11, 2007
I installed and set up this app as per the OP instructions. It works great without any issues. I have had to perform a factory reset for other reasons after installing the app, and had no issues with the 'N' button not working aftetwards. Reinstalled the app and it works fine.

Thete are no strange or 'scary' issues with this app. Works great.

partaker

Nov 23, 2011
That is freekin scarry...

Agreed. I am not blaming the script but circumstantially that seems to be the issue. I was able to do multiple factory restores/rests on trick's old script that didn't include the HomeCatcher Redirect.

On one hand, I'd recommend to anyone voluntarily doing a factory restore to uninstall this app first. At the same time, I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue as well?

Dec 4, 2011
can someone post a walkthrough?

I want to have the first push bring up my launcher
second push brings up the nook menu

is this possible?

I can't get this to work at all

phil0sophic

Sep 13, 2009
Heber Springs
I installed and set up this app as per the OP instructions. It works great without any issues. I have had to perform a factory reset for other reasons after installing the app, and had no issues with the 'N' button not working aftetwards. Reinstalled the app and it works fine.

Thete are no strange or 'scary' issues with this app. Works great.

What instructions in the OP?

songtrong

Dec 5, 2011
1. Make sure that your second launcher (eg. ADW Launcher EX) must be default one before installing this app, otherwise uninstall and re-install the launcher then set it as default.
2. Afterthat, install HomeCatcher as normall.

Result: When you press Nook button and Home, it will ask whether: new launcher or standard Nook.

phil0sophic

Sep 13, 2009
Heber Springs
1. Make sure that your second launcher (eg. ADW Launcher EX) must be default one before installing this app, otherwise uninstall and re-install the launcher then set it as default.
2. Afterthat, install HomeCatcher as normall.

Result: When you press Nook button and Home, it will ask whether: new launcher or standard Nook.

OK after setting the Standard Nook at that point, further pressing the N button does not revert to "android launcher" it just stays with Nook regardless of how many times I press the N button.

That is why a couple of us are pleading for a procedure.

Last edited:

reverenddak

Nov 18, 2011
Essential Phone
Valve SteamDeck
If you want to keep access to stock Home and a different launcher:

On first press, click default & then Homecatcher.

On 2nd press, or Home, do NOT select default. Just select the launcher that you desire each time, i.e. either your launcher(s) or Home (stock NT.)

phon00b

Aug 21, 2011
Has anyone attempted to do a factory restore after installing this app? It installed automatically with t-r-i-c-k's mac script, but when I later tried to do a factory restore, it didn't seem to recognize the "N" button and would just shut down. Now I have to go in for an exchange.

I've gone through a few factory restores already (usually cause I screwed something up by getting in way over my head) and I've had no issues like that. Everything is perfectly fine after the restore, including the "N" button.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using xda premium

t-r-i-c-k

Nov 18, 2011
So after messing about with settings files in the course of getting something else to work, at some point I managed to completely disable my N button. Home catcher broke, even the stock home won't launch. I can use a short cut to bring up the home app without issue. Weird. Any ideas?
Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

succulent

Dec 22, 2010
I had that happen before. I think I'd removed something from system/app. Backup your NT and restore to factory. Use Button Savior or Softkeys. You don't need the n home button.

t-r-i-c-k

Nov 18, 2011
Yeah I have button savior. Was trying to avoid a factory restore though. I just about have the nook how I want it and it'd be annoying to reset it again.

yaggermr

Jan 2, 2011
Yeah I have button savior. Was trying to avoid a factory restore though. I just about have the nook how I want it and it'd be annoying to reset it again.

I also messed this up at one point. The restore did fix it. Its sucks when your happy with your setup. Guess its time for me to make another titianum backup. Good luck. I wish there was a backup script to use backup and then restore your nook with all the setting and installed apps.

lamenramen

Jul 19, 2011
What is the expected behavior after installing homecatcher?

I have installed and my behavior is:

Click "n" button once, and it brings up the original nook dialog strip at the bottom.
Double click the "n" button, and then golauncherex kicks in.

I don't want the original nook home button function at all. Click once on the "n" button, and go launcherex should start. Is this what homecatcher is capable of doing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, Based on feedback here sounds like this is working properly. I have uploaded a new version 2.1 this is mostly just code clean up on my end as well as a better icon etc.

Installation Instructions:

Sideload HomeCatcher, also make sure you have an Alternative Launcher installed ie. ADW, Launcher Pro, VTL.Launcher.

Here is the key as HomeCatcher is a Background Process it works in the background no need to even open the app itself, that part of the app is there for information purposes only.

After install the first time you press the (n) you are presented with a menu asking you to select which app to complete the action with one of the options will be HomeCatcher if you select HomeCatcher while also selecting "use as default" on that popup menu the next press of the (n) button will present you with a menu asking which Alternative Launcher you wish to use and also allows you to set that option as default.... the content of this popup depends on the alternative Launchers you have already installed, ex. ADW, VTL.Launcher, GoLauncher.

following setting both HomeCatcher as default and then your Alternative Launcher as default.

When you hit the (n) button depending on your setup first push brings up little bottom screen nook menu second push it should make it act like a normal home button taking you to your alternative launcher. Some setups may operate differently. Just uninstall the app to return n button to normal nook operation.

If you have any issues during install (ie. selecting the wrong option as default etc.) you can kind of reset those defaults with two actions. Number one. Uninstall HomeCatcher. Navigate to the Settings/Applications section and find all the alternative launcher apps you have installed and open each ones details page and if the Clear Defaults Button is clickable Click it... also do this for the Main Nook Home app. Once you have done this reboot your Nook Tablet and reinstall HomeCatcher... making sure to read and select appropriately each popup box when pressing the (n) button for the first few times.

Please Provide Feedback..... Constructive Feedback Please (ie. Logs, errors, etc.)

********** ROM Devs can feel free to INCLUDE it in any work no prior permission required. :) *********************

HomeCatcher3.png
    http://vegantab.gojimi.com/download/HomeCatcher2_1.apk
    Loving this app.
    I'm reluctant to set it to always go to Go Launcher by default though. Never know when you'll need/want to go back to the default BN loader...

My wife keeps looking at my tablet now and wanting me to add all of this to hers... but i think before I do that, i'll need to wait for some sort of redirect app that will let me launch BN Loader from inside of Go. I'd love to set one of the bottom dock icons to point to BN Loader.

At that point i'd remap homecatcher to always go to Go Launcher EX, and then have the ability to launch back into BN any time i need (which is a lot less often, but the situation may occur...).

Thank you for the great app btw...

This is a good Idea. I have created a test app for anyone who wants to test this out.... this is a separate little app that adds an icon to alternative launchers that can be used to directly return to the BN Home.... the icon is called NookHome and If it works I will clean it up a bit.... maybe a bit better icon too... it's getting late here.... AGAIN, I don't have a device and I am working my trickery by thought alone.... so I need testers... Nothing destructive here... if it fails you will just get a force close message... if it works.... well... you get the Nook Home..... Let me know if this works for you guys! --- Temporary Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15597684/NookHome.apk

Enjoy--
    well... I may need the home apk from the tablet if this doesn't work so that I can get the proper intent.... so if you have it available post it up for me. Thanks!
    Long press is usually not overrideable..... but I will look into that.