[Script]Tools Menu v.05

Search This thread

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
IF USING AN OLD VER RUN THE UNINSTALL BEFORE INSTALLING A NEW VER

This is a batch file i made to install a tools menu i made. it came to be out of me being lazy and not wanting to have to open menus or hold shift
i did not make the scripts that some of the options use(credit is in the script).
see pictures to see the options and what it looks like in the end

IF ON WINDOWS RT YOU MUST BE JAILBROKEN TO USE. Thanks GoodDayToDie, it is now perfect :p

Main

wmrzd88igiyeoerfg.jpg

Install

25iv1bd0d2601hzfg.jpg

Uninstall

xrydz42j9jjzyypfg.jpg

Installs finished

Tools

scs4qdyu1fazdt5fg.jpg

Power

1s41jczv7j3myocfg.jpg

Power with extras

n0omyl23t86djb4fg.jpg

Changelog

v0.2 - added open powershell as admin here, fixed open cmd as admin here, no longer need ele.exe and the e.cmd file
v0.3 - able to remove the restart explorer.bat file thanks to coldbloc
v0.4 - added power menu. normal has lock, logoff, restart, restart with boot options, and shut down. the second has all of the first but sleep, hibernate, and switch user.
v0.5 - fixed an issue in the hidden files vbs(thanks LEDelete for pointing it out), fixed missing icon folder copy command in install script (thanks trm96 for pointing that out) should fix icons not showing up

the script has some swears i found them funny, again the script was made for me i just figured others my find it helpful.

if the icons dont show up reboot

Download Tools Menu

Last edited:

coldbloc

Nov 25, 2013
Looks cool.

So imagine I copy a registry key to my clipboard, does this regedit command capture it and open directly ? I checked, it only opens registry. Wonder if this MJ snippet would work in RT.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/38208

FYI, I don't prefer to kill-explorer like that, I think some settings that are not finalized until logoff can be lost when doing so, so instead I just logoff. But to each his own.

You can also change the position setting and the flyout will move to top or bottom of your menu. Make change in same key as the muiverb.

Code:
[FONT=monospace]
[/FONT][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\background\shell\Tools]
"MUIVerb"="Tools"
"SubCommands"="regedit.Tools;Open Admin Cmd here.Tools;Open Cmd Here.Tools;Files Extensions.Tools;Hidden Files.Tools;Restart Explorer.Tools"
"Icon"="C:\\Windows\\tools.ico"
"Position"="Top"
I forget the trick to add an extra divider line.

EDIT: I've never been able to get more then 12 subcommands even with nested flyouts, if anyone knows how I am all ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilyasmandli

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
Looks cool.

So imagine I copy a registry key to my clipboard, does this regedit command capture it and open directly ? I checked, it only opens registry. Wonder if this MJ snippet would work in RT.

FYI, I don't prefer to kill-explorer like that, I think some settings that are not finalized until logoff can be lost when doing so, so instead I just logoff. But to each his own.

You can also change the position setting and the flyout will move to top or bottom of your menu. Make change in same key as the muiverb.

Code:
[FONT=monospace]
"MUIVerb"="Tools"
"SubCommands"="regedit.Tools;Open Admin Cmd here.Tools;Open Cmd Here.Tools;Files Extensions.Tools;Hidden Files.Tools;Restart Explorer.Tools"
"Position"="Top"

DIT: I've never been able to get more then 12 subcommands even with nested flyouts, if anyone knows how I am all ears.

tbh the reason i didnt put a position in is i couldnt decide where i wanted it and where it was worked with the rest of the stuff in my context.
as for restarting explorer i run in testmode 24/7 so after i remove the watermarks i just restart explorer rather then logging off. its also helpful if explorer decides to lock up.

well i was bored so i added the option to choose position to it

Last edited:
Reactions: __Michael__

coldbloc

Nov 25, 2013
i run in testmode 24/7 so after i remove the watermarks

That sounds like you have to do it every reboot. Are the mui files protected in RT and we are unable to edit the watermark permanently ?

If I write a snip to add powershell run-as admin would you add it to your Tool™

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
That sounds like you have to do it every reboot. Are the mui files protected in RT and we are unable to edit the watermark permanently ?

If I write a snip to add powershell run-as admin would you add it to your Tool™

not at every boot once its done its done but i added it as it was more for when i do fresh installs, im adding it in now

edit one
i was able to get the admin cmd to work without the need of the extra files so those have been removed. i will be uploading it in a few min

edit two
new ver is uploaded, i added a ver number to it to help me keep track of it. you will have to run the uninstall part in the old one first before running the install on this as i have removed some unneeded stuff

Last edited:

coldbloc

Nov 25, 2013
not at every boot once its done its done but i added it as it was more for when i do fresh installs, im adding it in now

edit one
i was able to get the admin cmd to work without the need of the extra files so those have been removed. i will be uploading it in a few min

edit two
new ver is uploaded, i added a ver number to it to help me keep track of it. you will have to run the uninstall part in the old one first before running the install on this as i have removed some unneeded stuff

That's a different way of doing it. Lately for elevation most people are using APPCOMPATFLAGS or an inline elevator script. Had never seen an example using just "ExplorerCommandHandler" and "ImpliedSelectionModel" settings before.

http://windowssucks.wordpress.com/file-type-registration/

Does that only work on newer builds, I searched my W7x64 registry for that canonical GUID (the powershell one) didn't come up with anything. Where did you find it.

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011

That's a different way of doing it. Lately for elevation most people are using APPCOMPATFLAGS or an inline elevator script. Had never seen an example using just "ExplorerCommandHandler" and "ImpliedSelectionModel" settings before.

http://windowssucks.wordpress.com/file-type-registration/

Does that only work on newer builds, I searched my W7x64 registry for that canonical GUID (the powershell one) didn't come up with anything. Where did you find it.

i found it in a program that adds items to the context menu but when it added powershell it would crash explorer so i used it as a base and started messing with it until it worked without crashing explorer(fun times). im not sure if it works in windows 7 as im on 8.1

coldbloc

Nov 25, 2013
Understood, not available in W7, likely only 8.0 and up. I find it here in W8.1.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BF0AC53F-D51C-419F-92E3-2298E125F004}]
@="Open Powershell as Admin Command"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BF0AC53F-D51C-419F-92E3-2298E125F004}\InProcServer32]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
  00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,\
  65,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

Maybe can even use the GUID list of control panel items the same way.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee330741(v=vs.85).aspx

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\OAPS.Tools]
"ImpliedSelectionModel"=dword:00000001
"Icon"="imageres.dll,-5373"
"ExplorerCommandHandler"="{BF0AC53F-D51C-419F-92E3-2298E125F004}"
@="Admin Pshell Here"
and I remembered how to do the divider line trick.

Code:
"SubCommands"="regedit.Tools;|;OACh.Tools;OCH.Tools;|;OAPS.Tools;|;FE.Tools;HF.Tools;|;RE.Tools"
Think you can get rid of the Restart_Explorer.bat with this.

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/condexec.php

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\RE.Tools]
"Icon"="C:\\Windows\\explorer.exe"
"MUIVerb"="Restart Explorer"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\RE.Tools\command]
@="taskkill /f /im explorer.exe && start explorer.exe"
and this could toggle file extensions, without the .vbs

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\FE.Tools]
"Icon"="C:\\Windows\\file.ico"
"MUIVerb"="Files Extensions"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\FE.Tools\command]
@="start /wait /b powershell -command \"$check = (Get-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt').HideFileExt;if ($check -eq 0){Set-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 1} else {Set-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 0}\""
;
;

Last edited:

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
Think you can get rid of the Restart_Explorer.bat with this.

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/condexec.php

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\RE.Tools]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\RE.Tools\command]
@="taskkill /f /im explorer.exe && start explorer.exe"
and this could toggle file extensions, without the .vbs

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\FE.Tools]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\FE.Tools\command]
@="start /wait /b powershell -command \"$check = (Get-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt').HideFileExt;if ($check -eq 0){Set-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 1} else {Set-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 0}\""
;
;

tried both of those with no luck, the restart explorer one made a cmd window pop up real fast, all i could see was it said invalid something. the file extension one didnt do anything

i would love to be able to get rid of the scripts

coldbloc

Nov 25, 2013
tried both of those with no luck, the restart explorer one made a cmd window pop up real fast, all i could see was it said invalid something. the file extension one didnt do anything

i would love to be able to get rid of the scripts

On the file extension, I forget the refresh. Here is the snip, it goes somewhere near the end. FYI, I need rewrite it registry > cmd > powershell escape character safe.

I want to be sure it's just the refresh causing the problem and that the registry still got toggled, proving the powershell did run in the background and was not stopped by execution policy. Will you confirm by running the old script and manually hitting refresh.

Code:
;[void][System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName('System.Windows.Forms');[System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait('{F5}');

Last edited:

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
On the file extension, I forget the refresh. Here is the snip, I need rewrite it registry > cmd > powershell escape character safe (triple double quotes nesting issues mostly).

I want to be sure it's just the refresh causing the problem and the registry still got toggled, meaning the powershell did run in the background. Will you confirm by running the old script and manually hitting refresh to verify.

Code:
[void][System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName('System.Windows.Forms');[System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait("{F5}")

i thought it might not have been refreshing so i tried that and it still didnt change

coldbloc

Nov 25, 2013
i thought it might not have been refreshing so i tried that and it still didnt change

So you are on 8.1 RT, with powershell policy enabled and it still doesn't work.

Been bing'ing around for RT Powershell Limitations and it seems Microsoft might be the reason it doesn't work. Don't have RT hardware to test, cannot find a VM emulator either.

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
So you are on 8.1 RT, with powershell policy enabled and it still doesn't work.

Been bing'ing around for RT Powershell Limitations and it seems Microsoft might be the reason it doesn't work. Don't have RT hardware to test, cannot find a VM emulator either.

im on normal 8.1 pro with media center

coldbloc

Nov 25, 2013
im on normal 8.1 pro with media center

OK, is my bad then. Found the issue with Restart Explorer. Working on 2012-R2

Code:

@="\"C:\\Windows\\System32\\cmd.exe\" /c \"taskkill /f /im explorer.exe & start explorer.exe\""

Reactions: pbanj

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
OK, is my bad then. Found the issue with Restart Explorer. Working on 2012-R2

Code:

@="\"C:\\Windows\\System32\\cmd.exe\" /c \"taskkill /f /im explorer.exe & start explorer.exe\""

that one works like a charm, i added it to the regfiles and added a mention to u in the changelog

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
updated it again, i added power options to the context menu it only shows on the desktop and i did not give it the option to have its position changed

coldbloc

Nov 25, 2013
Fixed the toggle file extensions added restart explorer kludge
Code:

@="cmd /c start /wait /b powershell -command \"$check = (Get-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt').HideFileExt;if ($check -eq 0){Set-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 1} else {Set-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 0};taskkill /f /im explorer.exe;explorer.exe\""

Last edited:

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
Fixed the toggle file extensions added restart explorer kludge
Code:

@="cmd /c start /wait /b powershell -command \"$check = (Get-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt').HideFileExt;if ($check -eq 0){Set-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 1} else {Set-ItemProperty -Path 'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced' -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 0};taskkill /f /im explorer.exe;explorer.exe\""

if it didnt restart explorer it would be better then it is now.

coldbloc

Nov 25, 2013
if it didnt restart explorer it would be better then it is now.

Fixed the toggle file extensions sans restart explorer kludge
Code:

@="cmd /c start /wait /b powershell -command \"$check =  (Get-ItemProperty -Path  'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced'  -Name 'HideFileExt').HideFileExt;if ($check -eq 0){Set-ItemProperty  -Path  'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced'  -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 1} else {Set-ItemProperty -Path  'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced'  -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 0}\""

pbanj

Dec 22, 2011
Fixed the toggle file extensions sans restart explorer kludge
Code:

@="cmd /c start /wait /b powershell -command \"$check =  (Get-ItemProperty -Path  'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced'  -Name 'HideFileExt').HideFileExt;if ($check -eq 0){Set-ItemProperty  -Path  'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced'  -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 1} else {Set-ItemProperty -Path  'registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced'  -Name 'HideFileExt' -Value 0}\""

im looking but finding it but maybe u know it, is there a way to have it send the f5 key with powershell?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IF USING AN OLD VER RUN THE UNINSTALL BEFORE INSTALLING A NEW VER

This is a batch file i made to install a tools menu i made. it came to be out of me being lazy and not wanting to have to open menus or hold shift
    i did not make the scripts that some of the options use(credit is in the script).
    see pictures to see the options and what it looks like in the end

IF ON WINDOWS RT YOU MUST BE JAILBROKEN TO USE. Thanks GoodDayToDie, it is now perfect :p

Main

wmrzd88igiyeoerfg.jpg

Install

25iv1bd0d2601hzfg.jpg

Uninstall

xrydz42j9jjzyypfg.jpg

Installs finished

Tools

scs4qdyu1fazdt5fg.jpg

Power

1s41jczv7j3myocfg.jpg

Power with extras

n0omyl23t86djb4fg.jpg

Changelog

v0.2 - added open powershell as admin here, fixed open cmd as admin here, no longer need ele.exe and the e.cmd file
    v0.3 - able to remove the restart explorer.bat file thanks to coldbloc
    v0.4 - added power menu. normal has lock, logoff, restart, restart with boot options, and shut down. the second has all of the first but sleep, hibernate, and switch user.
    v0.5 - fixed an issue in the hidden files vbs(thanks LEDelete for pointing it out), fixed missing icon folder copy command in install script (thanks trm96 for pointing that out) should fix icons not showing up

the script has some swears i found them funny, again the script was made for me i just figured others my find it helpful.

if the icons dont show up reboot

Download Tools Menu
    My point was that the initial bug report *explicitly* said that the script was being run as Administrator... and you either just ignored that part or assumed they were lying. Not cool. Then you make it worse by refusing to acknowledge simple facts even when the person politely points out that they have, in fact, read and followed the readme, and again accuse them of not doing so. The "perfect" comment came from your astonishingly arrogant comment
    that error only comes up when you don't follow the readme............. By you getting that error you are not following the first step
    . Not "Hmm, that error message is supposed to mean something in the check for Admin failed" or "that's weird; if you run it as Admin you shouldn't ever see that error". Nope, just "there's only one thing that could cause that (because the code can't possibly have bugs, right?), so it's your fault". You claim you never said it was compatible with RT (this is true, and indeed your earlier versions that had executables in them wouldn't have been without additional hacks) but you never said what it *was* compatible with, nor did you say "well, I never tested it on RT, so maybe that's why you're getting the error?" or something similar.

Anyhow, peace offering: I can help re-write those scripts so that they work on RT without jailbreaking. There's a standard command-line tool built into nearly all versions of Windows, including RT, called "reg.exe". You can call it just fine from BAT/CMD files, which will work on RT (I've used this trick myself, way back when RT was brand new). Run "reg /?" for usage information. As an example, I'm attaching a script (renamed to .txt so I can attach it here; just remove that part) that implements the hidden-files registry toggle in a way compatible with Windows RT.
    @pbanj

You made a small mistake in Hidden_Files.vbs. If the user click "Hidden Files" in the context menu, it doesn't show SuperHidden files as the Reg variable is always set to 0

Code:
    [---]
    If Check = 2 Then
    Command1.RegWrite Hidden, 1, "REG_DWORD"
    Command1.RegWrite SSHidden, [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]0[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B], "REG_DWORD"  [B][COLOR="Green"][SIZE="5"]<-- Replace 0 by a 1[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
    Else
    Command1.RegWrite Hidden, 2, "REG_DWORD"
    Command1.RegWrite SSHidden, [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]0[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B], "REG_DWORD"
    End If
    [---]

However, nice work ;)
    Just installed, and I too am having trouble with icons not properly displaying. I've tried restarting explorer...no help...and rebooting PC several times, and also shutting down...waiting a bit, then restarting...same issue. See screenshot.

BTW...I'm on a new MS Surface 2 Pro...for what that's worth.

Had the same issue on my PC running Win8.1.

What I did to solve the missing icons is copied the icons from \Tools_Menu v0.4\Files\Pow to C:\Windows and restart PC. All icons are there.
    Looks cool.

Code:
    [FONT=monospace]
    "MUIVerb"="Tools"
    "Position"="Top"

EDIT: I've never been able to get more then 12 subcommands even with nested flyouts, if anyone knows how I am all ears.