CDMA Hero Bugs and Manufacturer Defects

Search This thread

beyondinferno

Jan 1, 2009
Vallejo
I'm starting this thread as a central database for CDMA Hero owners to share defects and bugs in Hardware and Software.
My apologies if this has been addressed else-where.

Found with my Girlfriend's and my "with Google" Heros that we both have a noticeable amount of dust under the screen (glass). I thought this was addressed with rev. 2 of the phone?

Anyone one else with the same issue?

beyondinferno

Jan 1, 2009
Vallejo
I agree the finish seems a little delicate. I've been using a cheap hard plastic case since I got mine in dec. Helps alot with wear and tear, and isn't too bulky or hard to get out of my pocket.

willowmp

Nov 16, 2009
I had a dust issue with my first (unbranded).

The first thing I did with my replacement (with google) hero was to apply an invisible shield to it. I have not noticed any dust under the screen whatsoever.

Also, although it isn't exactly pretty, I found while applying the invisible shield that it did not cover the gap between screen and button pad. As a quick fix to this I cut a thin piece of invisible shield material that was left over and applied it over the crack/screen protector/button pad protector. Just for some extra protection.

For shocks, I have the phone in the HTC silicone case. My phone has taken a number of falls/skids across the ground and stuff and this combo has protected it completely.

Edit:
Almost forgot, my original also seemed to develop a wear mark on the metal button pad finish. It was as if a part of the layer had rubbed off and tarnished in a circular pattern.

Last edited:

justinisyoung

Nov 25, 2009
CA
about the dust under the screen...
i contacted htc about before. the person who i emailed replied to me saying that htc has a permanent fix for the problem, so you can send it in and they'll replace/clean the screen and apply some fix to it. catch is, you have to pay for S&H and you'll go without a phone for a bit

mrinehart93

Oct 11, 2009
Chicago
about the dust under the screen...
i contacted htc about before. the person who i emailed replied to me saying that htc has a permanent fix for the problem, so you can send it in and they'll replace/clean the screen and apply some fix to it. catch is, you have to pay for S&H and you'll go without a phone for a bit

I have a ridiculous amount of dust in the lower left hand corner of my screen... so much so that part of the screen isn't visible anymore. Do you think Sprint would just let me exchange it for a new one? Or would I still have to go through HTC?

justinisyoung

Nov 25, 2009
CA
I have a ridiculous amount of dust in the lower left hand corner of my screen... so much so that part of the screen isn't visible anymore. Do you think Sprint would just let me exchange it for a new one? Or would I still have to go through HTC?

well i e-mailed htc about this twice. the first time they said that if the dust got bad enough, i could send it to HTC and they'd repair it. they also said this:

I understand how frustrating it can be for dust to collect under the screen of your device. We have recently learned that Sprint has a process in place to resolve this issue. Please contact Sprint for the location of your nearest Sprint Service and Repair facility. They are equipped to clean your device, and in doing so will be able to keep the issue from recurring in the future. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

which pretty much means that the sprint store should be able to repair it for free.

beyondinferno

Jan 1, 2009
Vallejo
well i e-mailed htc about this twice. the first time they said that if the dust got bad enough, i could send it to HTC and they'd repair it. they also said this:

which pretty much means that the sprint store should be able to repair it for free.
That's great to hear! Nice to know it's not like my Mogul was. They just kept giving me broken phones until I bought my hero....

thematrixkid17

Aug 28, 2009
I had heard about the dust problem before, and was glad that I didn't have that problem yet... After reading this thread, I decided to look again.... Now I do have dust in the bottom right :eek:

It seems to me that the problem is dust entering between the keypad and the screen, and then getting up underneath of the digitizer which doesn't seem to be against the LCD, which is strange, I think. Most handhelds I've taken apart have the digitizer glued around the edges directly to the LCD. Thank god that HTC and Sprint are actually addressing this problem. If someone does know how and where this seal is applied, I'd love to know. I might be taking mine back before too long, and I always would like to know what they're going to do beforehand.

kkruse

Apr 7, 2008
Austin, TX
That's great to hear! Nice to know it's not like my Mogul was. They just kept giving me broken phones until I bought my hero....

OMG i loved the mogul till I realized the CPU was slow the whole thing was slow and in my 2 years i went through 8 of them. That was the best money ever spent on TEP :D

Seriously you guys should have no problem exchanging that phone in warranty without TEP IF you take it to the shop and they cant resolve your dust issue they will ship you a remanufactured phone.

clamknuckle

Nov 12, 2007

This is 100% inaccurate. I'm a Sprint tech and there is no process in place for repairing Hero's with dust in the screen. Sure I can take your phone apart and blow the dust out, but it will come back.

thematrixkid17

Aug 28, 2009
At least it isn't near as bad as the Touch Pro. My buddy and I both had one; he still has his... His volume buttons literally fell off, and all of the chrome stripping is held on with scotch tape. The sliding screen has a slight swivel to it. And, thanks to Microsoft, all of his texts are from 1016. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm considering taking my Hero apart and trying to figure out a fix on my own. I think I'll wait just a little longer... just to make sure nothing fails and I can't take it back. Or, is there anywhere I can buy those black stickers for the screw-heads?

e5oteric

Feb 23, 2010
At least it isn't near as bad as the Touch Pro. My buddy and I both had one; he still has his... His volume buttons literally fell off, and all of the chrome stripping is held on with scotch tape. The sliding screen has a slight swivel to it. And, thanks to Microsoft, all of his texts are from 1016. :rolleyes:

Interesting, I loved my Touch Pro, the only flaking or issues with the aesthetics I had were from where it met pavement once...there's also a .cab file your friend can download that will fix the date issue...I'd post a link but I'm not sure of XDA's linking policies to other sites, just google ".cab fix for touch pro sms date," it's one of the first results.

As far as bugs and manufacturer defects with my Hero go, I've had the phone for a little over a month now and haven't anything to report...it does lag a little at times but I've yet to find a rooting process that works for my Hero for whatever reason, it's the newest version with the "with Google" branding. The "one touch root" or whatever it was titled from unlockr didn't work, nor did the one I found on android forums.

I didn't get stuck in a bootloader or anything for either process, it's simply that neither one had any affect; I did follow both process to a "T." I'll get around to trying the tutorial I found on here (XDA) one day when I have time, although I must say, I kind of prefer the hacks and tricks of WinMo at this point.

Last edited: