Multitouch issues / No real Multitouch

Search This thread

schaze

Jan 13, 2009
I think.. it's only a software problem..
maybe there is a bug in android 2.1?
Or, someone in motorola already found out about this bug and fixed it for droid.

Anyhow, imho, this can be quite easy to be fixed.

Nope, you're wrong. This is a hardware limitation. (see the synaptics specifications from my first post)
For some reason HTC decided to spare a view bucks and build this crappy touchsceen into this wonderfull phone...:mad:

It can maybe improved by software with some smart algorythms, but never be fully fixed.

gogol

May 20, 2005
Just curious, what will you do with 3 or 4 fingers recognition?
Or, with something you said about "true" multitouch ...

Do you have some apps in mind that really need 3 or 4 fingers recognition and "true" multitouch (which I dont know what is it)? Other than that "Pong game" obviously.

Please let us know.

Hehe, no that would be quite a stupid reason, wouldn't it. :D
I do however want a phone with true multitouch and not just a 'basic guesture supporting' 2 finger recognition. (oh and I probably don't need to add that iPhone is not an option)

zoidinger

Feb 14, 2010
Roeser
Hi,

I read on a french Android site that the Nexus One will get an update, which might fix the problems with the multitouch.

Here is the site (translated from french):

h tt p ://translate.google.lu/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.frandroid.com%2Fpage%2F4%2F&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

zoidi

zoidinger

Feb 14, 2010
Roeser
Hi,

I read on a french Android site that the Nexus One will get an update, which might fix the problems with the multitouch.

Here is the site (translated from french):

h tt p ://translate.google.lu/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.frandroid.com%2Fpage%2F4%2F&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

zoidi

I forgot to mention my point :D So, the point is...if the nexus gets an update which adresses this issue, maybe the Desire will get this too sometime ;)

BTW, I did not have any problems on my Desire with Multitouch ;)

lookseehear

Mar 27, 2010
I don't think it's likely to be fixed to be honest. It's a driver problem for the screen as all the OS does is read off the positions that the driver is passing.

I don't mind it too much, I don't play a lot of games, but I do think that this kind of thing is what's holding android back a bit in terms of being a gaming platform.

I just ditched my iPhone 3g for a desire and have no regrets but you do have to give it to Apple that the screen is pretty great in terms of accuracy, response and multi touch.

schaze

Jan 13, 2009
Just curious, what will you do with 3 or 4 fingers recognition?
Or, with something you said about "true" multitouch ...

Do you have some apps in mind that really need 3 or 4 fingers recognition and "true" multitouch (which I dont know what is it)? Other than that "Pong game" obviously.

Please let us know.

Well as I don't really play a lot games I also don't know a lot of them, but as an example:
I recently saw somewhere on youtube a game called "Cross Fingers" for the iPhone. For this one definitively needs more than 2 fingers for some scenarios.
Also looking at the precision of the display I actually see problems for a lot of even '2 finger' applications like e.g. a gamepad emulator or a mousepad emulation for remote controlling a PC's mouse (hold a button and move the cursor at the same time).

Besides games there could be a lot of useful things than could be done with more than 2 fingers. E.g. there could be a gesture where the screen rotates according to a 3 finger swipe to a side of the device. (only an example)

At the moment there is for sure not a lot of stuff yet that will require more than 2 fingers at the same time, simply because no hardware supports it yet (apparently). But it will come, and then I don't want to have a phone that doesn't support it.

Please don't get me wrong. The Desire is surely a very great phone and the multi-touch thing will probably not be important to 99% of all people buying it.

But I really do want to have a precise multi-touch display that simply detects every point there where the fingers actually are. And I don't want to spend >400Euros on a device that wont give me what I want.

schaze

Jan 13, 2009
Are you sure the HD2 has the same technology, I though I read in some comment it has another one.

If you look closely in the 3rd video you can see how the 2 circles snap on the same height when fingers are nearing the same level (at ~0:25s)

But you are right, there seems to be no axis flipping at least.

hoss_n2

Are you sure the HD2 has the same technology, I though I read in some comment it has another one.

If you look closely in the 3rd video you can see how the 2 circles snap on the same height when fingers are nearing the same level (at ~0:25s)

But you are right, there seems to be no axis flipping at least.
yes iam sure hd2 has the same technology look at the crossed lines in desire ,nexus ,and hd2 screen

gogol

May 20, 2005
Is this the game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N060Ti6EZFc

I cant see it needs more than 1 finger :)

Btw, If that's really what you want (more than 2 fingers multitouch), then certainly HTC Desire is not your phone.

I think your phone might be the next Windows Phone 7, because Microsoft put 4 fingers multitouch as requirement.

But then, you will wait at the end of this year ... which:
- You wont have multitasking
- You wont have copy paste
- You wont have sd card slot
- You wont have customization
- You wont have sideloading
- You wont have ...

Or iPhone 4G which I dont know if it has more than 2 fingers multitouch (but certainly it does not have problem like the Pong game). I know, you said that you wont get iPhone, but if you do:
- You wont have FULL/TRUE multitasking
- You wont have sd card slot
- You wont have customization
- You wont have sideloading
- You wont have ...

So yeah, tough luck :D

I also want something like this:
- 4.3" SUPER AMOLED screen
- 1.5 GHz dual processor Snapdragon (or Samsung 1GHz + Hummingbird GPU)
- 1 GB RAM
- 16 GB internal memory
- 720 HD recording
- TV-out (like HTC Incredible)
- Thin like HTC Desire
- Hardware buttons like HTC Desire
- Micro-SD card slot
- FM Radio
- GPS
- ... what not :)

Same like you, I have to wait ............... :)

PS: I still dont get it, why do you really need super persistant, precise multi-touch ... if in real life almost none applications use it. The screen is small enough, I cant imagine doing 5 fingers multitouch in it :)
It could be cool just for showing of ... but I cannot wait several years just to show of.

Well as I don't really play a lot games I also don't know a lot of them, but as an example:
I recently saw somewhere on youtube a game called "Cross Fingers" for the iPhone. For this one definitively needs more than 2 fingers for some scenarios.
Also looking at the precision of the display I actually see problems for a lot of even '2 finger' applications like e.g. a gamepad emulator or a mousepad emulation for remote controlling a PC's mouse (hold a button and move the cursor at the same time).

Besides games there could be a lot of useful things than could be done with more than 2 fingers. E.g. there could be a gesture where the screen rotates according to a 3 finger swipe to a side of the device. (only an example)

At the moment there is for sure not a lot of stuff yet that will require more than 2 fingers at the same time, simply because no hardware supports it yet (apparently). But it will come, and then I don't want to have a phone that doesn't support it.

Please don't get me wrong. The Desire is surely a very great phone and the multi-touch thing will probably not be important to 99% of all people buying it.

But I really do want to have a precise multi-touch display that simply detects every point there where the fingers actually are. And I don't want to spend >400Euros on a device that wont give me what I want.

Last edited:

firedup

Mar 28, 2007
Nottingham
WTF is this thread about? What a load of bollocks.

4 fingers? That's too much even for my girlfriend. Get a grip and buy yourself a feckin pong machine.

orangedavie

Feb 7, 2009
Glasgow
WTF is this thread about? What a load of bollocks.

4 fingers? That's too much even for my girlfriend. Get a grip and buy yourself a feckin pong machine.

LMAO. Multi touch was putting me off x10 then I thought about it on iPhone, I have only ever used multi touch for pinching pictures so in 2 years of having an iPhone I have never needed multitouch so I guess I can live with not having it on the x10.

If taht guy wants it for pong then , Hey ho

abc27

Apr 16, 2010
The only time I could see this being a problem would be on touch operated games that completely rely on virtual buttons or dpads/analog sticks.

kirilliz

Mar 26, 2010
the nes and snes emulator for android has a virtual touch control and I think it works with the desire. it does with the n1 so the desire should work, too..