Nexus S with a fullbrick?

Search This thread

MarcMarin

Jan 3, 2011
Hi all,

I've a Samsung Nexus S here from a friend of me.

The phone was rooted and flashed with Cyanogenmod 10.1. Without any special action the phone doesn't power on again after a reboot (during a software update CM10.1). There's nothing. Only a black screen. No lights! Nothing...

I've tried to power on it for several times. I've tried to start it into the download mode and the fastboot mode. But only a black screen. My computers Mac, Linux, Windows are detecting nothing when I'm connecting them to the phone.

Do you've any ideas for unbrick this nexus s?

regards
Marco

wickid_d

Jan 6, 2011
Somewhere..
Hi all,

I've a Samsung Nexus S here from a friend of me.

The phone was rooted and flashed with Cyanogenmod 10.1. Without any special action the phone doesn't power on again after a reboot (during a software update CM10.1). There's nothing. Only a black screen. No lights! Nothing...

I've tried to power on it for several times. I've tried to start it into the download mode and the fastboot mode. But only a black screen. My computers Mac, Linux, Windows are detecting nothing when I'm connecting them to the phone.

Do you've any ideas for unbrick this nexus s?

regards
Marco

That's exactly what I'm working on right now.. Let's start with the basics.. Do you have a good cable (tested with other micro-usb devices?)? If so, on Linux, under terminal, does the lsusb command show any Samsung devices while connected?

Bumbl

Feb 22, 2014
Hi,

I have a similar problem.

My Nexus S suffers from the power button bug with the power button occasionally not working. When I turned it off today (using the terminal as I always do) it shut down as normal. However, when I tried to start it again it, it would not boot. When I press the power button (it usually works to start the phone, it just does not work within the recovery / OS), the backlight turns on but there is no vibration and it does not proceed to the Google logo. Similarly if I try to start it using the charger, the backlight turns on but it does not proceed from there.
Linux does not recognise the device, i.e. neither dmesg nor lsusb show any output. Therefore I cannot use the Unbrickable Resurrection tool.

Would doing that be helpful?
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-s/development/i9020t-nexus-s-development-platform-aka-t1566475

I cannot enter Fastboot or Download mode. Again, only the backlight turns on.

Is it a hardware fault?
Has anyone had similar problems?

Thanks.

Last edited:

wickid_d

Jan 6, 2011
Somewhere..
Yes, it will if yours is a i9020a or t. BUT you need a VERY steady hand and PROPER soldering equipment.. I had mine in Dev mode but it wasn't flashing anything, so I thought I didn't do something right, took it all back apart, and 20 mins and a popped micro resistor (from too much heat from the soldering wand) later, I had a completely dead phone.. So if you attempt it, be very careful.. If you don't feel comfortable you can do it, I would definitely find someone who can..