Windows Phone 8.1 for HTC 8s would solve all problems

Search This thread

Dr. lele

Nov 4, 2010
Moto G
Xiaomi Poco F1
Hi all,

seriuously I think the worst part of this phone is the memory. With only 3 apps installed (Whatsapp, Instagram BETA and a simple To-Do-List app) my memory is constantly full. It gets so bad sometimes that the phone only shows a black screen and the clock like this.

With being able to install apps (and hopefully the app data) on the SD-card the phone would be really great again.

Does anyone know how the chances of getting 8.1 for this old phone are?

cevi

Why don`t you regularly keep fresh installations from the aps and games on your sd card?That`s how you will gain a lot of memory consumption time.
For the 8.1 update i think that we will not feel a lot performance difference cause the phone at this parent state is not so responsive like his windows phone "brothers" and "sisters" out there but surely we will get some more better options on it.
Im am particularly afraid of that "Cortana" database that they mention.I think if that thing is stored on the phone storage again it could possibly be our new space invader but let us see first, then we will talk. :eek:

Dr. lele

Nov 4, 2010
Moto G
Xiaomi Poco F1
Why don`t you regularly keep fresh installations from the aps and games on your sd card?That`s how you will gain a lot of memory consumption time.

Because that's not the way a teenage girl (my GF's little sister) uses her low end smartphone. It keeps blacking out and not opening apps (e.g. just black sceen after tapping on the whatsapp tile). Resetting the phone frees the storage, but after some weeks it's the same all over again. Memory management seems to be totally absent on this thing. And it's so annoying to see the ~12GB free on the microSD-card.

I do not expect great performance on a sub-200$ phone. In fact, I think it's a great and beautiful phone. But I expect it to be able to handle 3(!) installed apps and their data on its own. You really shouldn't have to tinker with it to enable such basic usability.

And that"s where I hope the update will fix the phone. But doesn't matter anyway now, she'll get an iPhone 3gs, since at least that works, and she won't take any more smartphone-related advice from me after this fiasco :laugh:

vinscg

Oct 9, 2011
phone reboots

anyone knows how to stop those reboots i get?
it looks like it started doing this after deve preview updated to :8.0.10521.155

cevi

anyone knows how to stop those reboots i get?

it looks like it started doing this after deve preview updated to :8.0.10521.155

Little off topic.You should try open a new tread for this but anyway.

I have the same firmware version and I don't have this problem of yours.

Any particular reason when does this occurs?While playing games, surfing the net, regular usage?

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

vinscg

Oct 9, 2011
reboots

Little off topic.You should try open a new tread for this but anyway.

I have the same firmware version and I don't have this problem of yours.

Any particular reason when does this occurs?While playing games, surfing the net, regular usage?

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

at regular usage, must be hardware related?

vinscg

Oct 9, 2011
Problem solved, 3 coats of scoth tape under sim card. Slide it in , et voila! There was a bad contact

Sent from my A620m using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

vinscg

Oct 9, 2011
Cant wait for wp8.1!!! Lets Hope it comes to 8S

charlatan1978

Mar 27, 2014
WP8.1 Installed

Installed WP8.1 today on my HTC 8S via the Preview for Developers app.
First impressions are it's very slick and my phone appears to run quicker.
I needed 704.05 free space on my phone to install WP8.1. Therefore I had to uninstall most of my apps and a couple of games.
However when reinstalling them they can now be installed to the SD card!!

Betrakiss

Sep 27, 2011
Sofia
nice to hear! that saving apps to SD card would solve the HUGE memory problem :D im waiting forward to the official release !! Awesome !

mgsstar

Sep 3, 2012
I needed 704.05 free space on my phone to install WP8.1. Therefore I had to uninstall most of my apps and a couple of games.

How much free space do you have internally after the WP update? Pretty excited for 8.1 to release as it basically gives the phone an excellent upgrade.

charlatan1978

Mar 27, 2014
Free space

How much free space do you have internally after the WP update? Pretty excited for 8.1 to release as it basically gives the phone an excellent upgrade.

Hi, all my apps are now on my SD card (except the Barclays app as I didn't want to go through the process of registering again and the Preview for Developers app).
I have 736.22 MB free in my internal storage.
The system shows as 2.49 GB.

mgsstar

Sep 3, 2012
Hi, all my apps are now on my SD card (except the Barclays app as I didn't want to go through the process of registering again and the Preview for Developers app).
Do you still get official updates from HTC after developer unlocking your phone?

jonnug

Nov 25, 2012

Confirmed 704MB required. I've had to do a factory reset to get previous updates on!

Installed the Dev preview app, done 4 updates since, now going to have a clearout to install this update. Let's hope it's a bit less gash with it's .1! :D

mgsstar

Sep 3, 2012
Hi, yes you will still get official HTC updates (usually firmware updates).
I got further updates after downloading the GDR3 update early.

Alright thanks for the reply! Could you guys get Cortona to work as I tried changing the region to US but it didn't work. Is there anyway to change the language on the phone to English (US) instead of English (Canada) as I don't see an option for it.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Confirmed 704MB required. I've had to do a factory reset to get previous updates on!

Installed the Dev preview app, done 4 updates since, now going to have a clearout to install this update. Let's hope it's a bit less gash with it's .1! :D

Yeah I had to do it too. You would have to unlock your phone again after the reset and make sure your date is set correctly or it will create errors.

charlatan1978

Mar 27, 2014
Cortana and keyboard

Alright thanks for the reply! Could you guys get Cortona to work as I tried changing the region to US but it didn't work. Is there anyway to change the language on the phone to English (US) instead of English (Canada) as I don't see an option for it.

Hi, I haven't tried getting Cortana to work.
On my phone if I go into settings > keyboard, then click the + add keyboards.
There is an option for English (United States), 22 MB.

Is this not available on your phone?

jonnug

Nov 25, 2012

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Yeah I had to do it too. You would have to unlock your phone again after the reset and make sure your date is set correctly or it will create errors.

I didn't bother factory resetting to get this update, I was able to delete enough apps to get it done without!

Anyone had any luck with Cortana? I've heard that it's possible by setting device region to US, although I had no luck.

I haven't managed to install any extra apps on 8.1 - it always throws up errors. Anyone else having this trouble?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WP8.1 Installed

Hi :cool:
    I want update my phone to Preview WP 8.1,is this a good idea? :confused:
    I'm worry about bugs & Error after Preview update...
    You have two possibility:
    - Install Windows Phone 8.1 via the Preview for Developers (PFD) program.
    - Wait for the official deployment.

I do not give you more information on the PFD, because the official deploy Windows Phone 8.1 (and Lumia Cyan) for Nokia Lumia 1520 should soon began. Also, Microsoft currently stopped for the moment (for a indefinitely period) deploying Windows Phone 8.1 on phones equipped with PFD.

So, I advise you to wait.
    TNX

You have two possibility:
    - Install Windows Phone 8.1 via the Preview for Developers (PFD) program.
    - Wait for the official deployment.

I do not give you more information on the PFD, because the official deploy Windows Phone 8.1 (and Lumia Cyan) for Nokia Lumia 1520 should soon began. Also, Microsoft currently stopped for the moment (for a indefinitely period) deploying Windows Phone 8.1 on phones equipped with PFD.

So, I advise you to wait.

Tnx a lot
    I Choose "Waiting"
    anyway,HTC support team told me by email:
    Official WP 8.1 will be release in August for HTC windows phones
    anyway,HTC support team told me by email:
    Official WP 8.1 will be release in August for HTC windows phones
    Thanks for this information ;)
    Hi...
    Who has received the preview 8.1 GDR1 Update?
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ormation/e804a249-fb06-494e-8802-007a4e14810f ;)

Microsoft said:
    Note: If your device is enabled for the update but no new version is made available to you: There are a small set of devices for which we aren’t offering the latest build of the Developer Preview program due to an identified problem that requires mobile operator or OEM driver updates. These will be offered when the official update for your phone is available.