[CONFIRMED] Root after OTA

Search This thread

mcfarlan

Oct 10, 2007
North Carolina
OP, can you confirm that your phone was actually updated? I have run this twice with no issues but I am not seeing any difference like software version = 2.01.605.11 and baseband version = 0.95.00.1118r.

Flyhalf205

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Oct 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
flyhalf205.com
Here is my confirmation.

Attachments

• DSC00799.jpg
    DSC00799.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC00802.jpg
    DSC00802.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 302

neckbonest

Aug 14, 2011
jacksonville florida
does anyone elses wifi show error under it and not work? i did a factory reset and wiped the interal storage and still nothing. this happend after the update. ive only had this phone for 2 days. htc phones are all new to me. i have had alot of motarola phones.

snowride20

Mar 9, 2011
Galveston, TX
I am running ineffabilis GB Rom with DSB overclocked kernel. If I flash my nandroid backup from right after I unlocked and rooted, then flash the stock kernel and relock the phone with the stock recovery, will I be able to accept the OTA or must I still flash the ruu? Where can I find the stock kernel? Is the kernel still with the backup and just need pulled out and flashed separately? Obviously a little lost here. I read the forums constantly and I just can't figure it out. I try not to post unnecessary questions and if this is already in here a link would be great. If someone has the time a good step by step would be awsome or am I just not finding it. I would love.to learn more about fastboot and the different commands but I just don't know where to start. Thanks to all the developers and those that know more then me for all your hard work!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App

zonbal33

Sep 30, 2009
so all roms work after this update? so all i need to do is follow the directions on the first page and i can flash GB, ICS roms on the latest OTA update? just want to be 100 percent positive before i do all this. thx

esheesle

Nov 30, 2010
does anyone elses wifi show error under it and not work? i did a factory reset and wiped the interal storage and still nothing. this happend after the update. ive only had this phone for 2 days. htc phones are all new to me. i have had alot of motarola phones.

Sounds like you had a flash error similar to mine. My software upgraded but not the radios. wifi wouldn't turn on at all. I reverted to a clockwork backup and works again.

dejahboi

May 11, 2007
Porterville
so all roms work after this update? so all i need to do is follow the directions on the first page and i can flash GB, ICS roms on the latest OTA update? just want to be 100 percent positive before i do all this. thx

I'll make an update as soon as I finish the whole process, my phone is going through RUU at the moment.

neckbonest

Aug 14, 2011
jacksonville florida
Sounds like you had a flash error similar to mine. My software upgraded but not the radios. wifi wouldn't turn on at all. I reverted to a clockwork backup and works again.

i restored a backup already and it did fix it. i came in here to edit my post and saw yours.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

I'll make an update as soon as I finish the whole process, my phone is going through RUU at the moment.

what is ruu? little confused

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just wanted to let you guys know that I still have root after I installed the OTA. I will give a few steps what I did in a few minutes.

These are the steps I used. Took a while (seemed like forever) but at least I am updated and with root. I originally came from an ICS rom then I had to flash a stock rom then RUU.

1. Flashed stock recovery (Link below)
    2. Locked bootloader (fastboot oem lock)
    3. Flashed RUU 1.02.605.6 (link below)
    4. Installed OTA (check for new software updates when booted)
    5. Unlocked bootloader (http://www.htcdev.com/)
    6. Flashed RA recovery (found in forum)
    7. Installed su and superuser under Developer menu under RA recovery
    8. BAM!!!!!!! :D

The RUU I used was found at http://www.scottsroms.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=37
    Thanks scrosler for having that available!
    The stock recovery can be downloaded at http://db.tt/tw5m33ZG. Unzip and flash in Fastboot using command "fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img"
    If you're on a rooted stock rom that's not been modded, except being rooted and having frozen some apps via titanium back up, then you do not have to go through all these steps.

I was on a custom rom (CleanROM 1.5.5). I restored a nandroid backup I made right after I unlocked, rooted and froze some apps on my phone for the first time. It was completely stock. Then I flashed the stock recovery file that is available in the first post. After rebooting, I accepted the OTA update and it installed with no problem. I didn't have to RUU, or relock then re-unlock the bootloader. I didn't even have to unfreeze the bloat that I froze.

Afterwards, I flashed Amon Ra recovery, then installed SU and superuser using it. I did have to reinstall the superuser.apk from the market, but my phone rooted just fine.

So if you're on the stock rom with no modifications (except root and frozen apps) or can nandroid back to stock (also make sure that your boot.img is also stock), then all you need to do is flash the stock recovery then go from there. Just an FYI.
    Can you post a link to the RUU and stock recovery you used ? Thanks.

Yeah. It's at the bottom of the first post now.
    Why did you have to relock the bootloader?

I kept on getting an error with it being unlocked about signature error. So I locked it and it finally worked.
    I have no idea how to check the radio version. hboot is 2.11.0000

You are updated then! :D