[Thread Locked Soon] Ice Cream Sandwich to G2X Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Azuske

Jan 31, 2009
Tampa, Florida
WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW THREAD IN THE DEVELOPMENT SECTION... THIS THREAD WILL BE LOCKED REALLY SOON.

What does the Official MIUI ICS look like? *A little unrelated treat*
Click Here To Find Out
Official Source (Chinese)

Note from Nvidia about drivers
Hello Android Development Community

We appreciate all the interest and passion surrounding the NVIDIA Tegra Platform and we take our support for the development community seriously. NVIDIA has been working with Google and Motorola to provide the open source community with the required drivers and other binary code to build full Android OS images for the Tegra 2 powered "Motorola Xoom". We expect Google to make those components available as part of the Android Open Source Project soon.

In addition, NVIDIA is working on a full release of Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) for our Tegra 2 Dual Core and Tegra 3 Quad Core reference devices to be made available early next year. This release package will comprise of binary code, drivers developed on our reference platforms and any patches necessary to ensure stability & performance with ICS. We hope the open source community can leverage this release for their work on all Tegra devices.

Andrew Edelsten

Developers Working on ICS:
ttabbal (Recognized Developer / Kernel Dev)
Morfic (Recognized Developer / Kernel Dev)
Dameon87 (Recognized Developer)
chuckhriczko
doniqcc
teleknEsis
enoch861
King-Nai

What can I do to help?
What you guys can do to help is create a twitter or use your own twitter account and post the following to get the attention of LG about the lack of support for developers. Reword it how you want but include all the hash tags so we can get LG to help us out. We support THEM! They are nothing without the consumer base or Click here for direct contact links

Help #boycottLG! Lack of developer support on the @NVIDIATegra #g2x. #WENEEDSOURCE to utilize all of its power #android #ics

*NEW* Response From LG
*New* ANOTHER Response from LG

Pictures & Video

List Of Dumps & Useful Files:

Both Gingerbread and Froyo Source Codes for G2X

Galaxy Nexus Dump (Recovery, System, Boot) *Reupped*

Official Nvidia Github (Source Codes and Kernel Files)

IRC Channel (Limit to questions only and don't ask for ETA's)

Tell Nvidia to release the source code!

G2X Tegra Compile Patch Created by ttabbal (Dev's Only - Click for explanation)

Last edited:

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
system dump from the phone, or the system dump from the sdk..that what i mean and are not the same..i know its the system dump..but from where?

Just a system dump from the phone.

On another note: I just pulled the new fonts from this and pushed them to my phone. I must say, the new Roboto front is GORGEOUS. A real upgrade to the default android font we've become so familiar with.

athanos

Apr 4, 2010
It'll make some nice ICS themes for now. Need source code for much more than that.

barqers

Nov 17, 2010
ICS would be fantastic on this device. Eventually we'll get it, I have faith in our developers! :)

But Dec seems so far away, after watching the preview videos of ics it was clear that it's a worthy upgrade. Miles ahead of ios5

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer
I don't know anyone else's results but I made up a hybrid of this and the stock rom (basically combined the two without overwriting files. So any LGE proprietary files were still there) but it didn't work. Bootloops after the initial LG screen. I'm thinking boot.img for some reason but haven't unpacked it yet. Anyone else have any ideas?

Reactions: Dave778

barqers

Nov 17, 2010
I don't know anyone else's results but I made up a hybrid of this and the stock rom (basically combined the two without overwriting files. So any LGE proprietary files were still there) but it didn't work. Bootloops after the initial LG screen. I'm thinking boot.img for some reason but haven't unpacked it yet. Anyone else have any ideas?

You mean you placed the new ICS system apps and combined it with the stock GB?

I think the system apps from ICS would use API's not supported in GB and hence would bootloop.

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer
You mean you placed the new ICS system apps and combined it with the stock GB?

I think the system apps from ICS would use API's not supported in GB and hence would bootloop.

No. I extracted the stock Tom and the system dump. I modified the 4.0 build.prop, used the stock boot image and then.merged the stock rom into the 4.0 rom, not overwriting existing files. basically just adding stock files. this gives it the ril specified in build.prop, etc. I was hoping to at least get to the second boot screen so I could use logcat but no go.

Reactions: barqers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WE HAVE MOVED TO A NEW THREAD IN THE DEVELOPMENT SECTION... THIS THREAD WILL BE LOCKED REALLY SOON.

What does the Official MIUI ICS look like? *A little unrelated treat*
    Click Here To Find Out
    Official Source (Chinese)

Note from Nvidia about drivers
    Hello Android Development Community

We appreciate all the interest and passion surrounding the NVIDIA Tegra Platform and we take our support for the development community seriously. NVIDIA has been working with Google and Motorola to provide the open source community with the required drivers and other binary code to build full Android OS images for the Tegra 2 powered "Motorola Xoom". We expect Google to make those components available as part of the Android Open Source Project soon.

In addition, NVIDIA is working on a full release of Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) for our Tegra 2 Dual Core and Tegra 3 Quad Core reference devices to be made available early next year. This release package will comprise of binary code, drivers developed on our reference platforms and any patches necessary to ensure stability & performance with ICS. We hope the open source community can leverage this release for their work on all Tegra devices.

Andrew Edelsten

Developers Working on ICS:
    ttabbal (Recognized Developer / Kernel Dev)
    Morfic (Recognized Developer / Kernel Dev)
    Dameon87 (Recognized Developer)
    chuckhriczko
    doniqcc
    teleknEsis
    enoch861
    King-Nai

What can I do to help?
    What you guys can do to help is create a twitter or use your own twitter account and post the following to get the attention of LG about the lack of support for developers. Reword it how you want but include all the hash tags so we can get LG to help us out. We support THEM! They are nothing without the consumer base or Click here for direct contact links

Help #boycottLG! Lack of developer support on the @NVIDIATegra #g2x. #WENEEDSOURCE to utilize all of its power #android #ics

*NEW* Response From LG
    *New* ANOTHER Response from LG

Pictures & Video

List Of Dumps & Useful Files:

Both Gingerbread and Froyo Source Codes for G2X

Galaxy Nexus Dump (Recovery, System, Boot) *Reupped*

Official Nvidia Github (Source Codes and Kernel Files)

IRC Channel (Limit to questions only and don't ask for ETA's)

Tell Nvidia to release the source code!

G2X Tegra Compile Patch Created by ttabbal (Dev's Only - Click for explanation)
    inb4 teh fapping after errbody reads arcee's G+! :rolleyes:

and btw, running beautifully since Thanksgiving night ;)

(and no, I won't give you it so don't ask... privately testing until arcee says otherwise.)

lzqDX.png
    <rant>

Expecting people to not post a thank you is unrealistic. Expecting people to read back a page or 2 to see all of the "stop posting" requests, that is unrealistic. Expecting the public to not post on a public forum, is unrealistic. Expecting everyone in the world that visits this thread to heed to such a request, is unrealistic.

How about this... Get real. Align expectations up with reality.. because all of the requests to stop posting thank you msgs is not working.. Here's a tip: The next 20 requests won't work either. So what to do? Keep doing it.. expecting people to stop, even though you know they won't? That's ignorant. We can't change people.. but what we can change is ourselves. How about changing personal expectations so that they align with reality: People will continue to say "thank you." That's seems more realistic.. it is a public forum. We can't control others, we can only control how we respond and how we expect others to act.

From what I have read, there is a private area for the devs to communicate.. I think on irc. So how about this.. how about the devs use the private channels to communicate about development and not use a public forum? The public forum should be used for sharing the updates/progress as you deem appropriate.. then people will say "Thanks! Awesome! Good job! I can't wait!", etc. That is a realistic expectation. Simple. We're on a public forum guys.. Get your expectations set correctly or you'll continue to be let down, and we'll continue have to read the "Stop posting thank you" requests.

No other dev thread is standing against the 'thank yous'. On the contrary, I see devs that are appreciative of the positive feedback.

</rant>
    Just about done. Running through all the system apps and compiling the dex files atm.
    insulting!

We wont see a working build until CM or LG release a build. None of the developers on here other than CM have really developed a fully functional rom without stealing from CM or LG roms. And ICS is a huge change, bigger than honeycomb and no one even has Honey comb on this phone. Plus the amount of work its going to take will be more than a full time job and 50$ is an insult to a real developer willing to put in that kind of work. Id say just calm down and wait for CM they will make one once the source is out then all the other devs will steal it.

Android is open source. and there is no stealing unless you dont credit.
    Its obvious you dont have any knowledge of how to build roms so why are you insulting those that have spent the time for people to have something different than stock.
    there is no honeycomb because sourcecode wasnt released.
    to make a sdk port is cool and concrats to those that do it but its not the same as building from source and is limiting as to what you can do unless your a smali wizard which most of us are not.
    of course people use source from LG they made the phone and drivers.
    there would of been a much bigger developer following if the phone didnt have so many problems.
    I Purchased the phone to develop for. and by the time the phone seemed somewhat stable (on my third) i just didnt feel it was worth the time with icecream coming out so soon.
    And your right im sure there is some difference as there was from froyo to gb. but nothing that people cant figure out.
    the entire community that develop roms are not theives we work together and share ideas on how to do different things.
    people want certain things so most roms put those in it and they credit who originally did it. than they add the things that they are interested in and created themselves. and than some like that so they use that and give credit.
    none of this is stealing and for the most part we talk to each other and are given permission to use it.
    we even will help when someone cant get it right.
    CM has a great team and do a great job at getting the RIL's going.
    and in great speed.
    and while there has been times where people do indeed release cm and claim it as their own they are always found out.
    Your insinuating everyone that uses cm rils is a theive shows you dont understand open source and is an insult to all the great developers out there busting their buts on their own dime for others to enjoy.
    we seldom get to enjoy our roms because we are always reflashing and testing and moving forward , so all the roms people are enjoying are seldom enjoyed by the developers them selves because they are too busy trying to make you enjoy the next release.