[MOD] Disable home button wake

Search This thread

cam30era

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Columbus, Indiana
I take no credit for this. Did a Google search and found it on the Sprint Gnote 2 XDA forum. I tried it and it works on our Verizon Gnote phone.

All credit goes to ffolkes:

1. Mount as R/W and open /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.

2. Scroll to the line that says:
"key 172 HOME WAKE"

3. Now delete the HOME so it says:
"key 172"

4. Save it and reboot.

PS: Long hold the file and choose the option "open with text editor".

Last edited:

sway40

Jul 11, 2009
Houston Tx
This has been a tiny annoying prob since I use widget locker, even on stock though. I don't want any button going directly to my home screen. This helps.

tappin from a paranoid Note II

WyoSi

Jan 26, 2012
Mine didn't unlock my phone. But it did wake it which I never liked. Deleted HOME WAKE as described and now only the power button wakes up my note, like it should be.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

jsadler09

Jan 1, 2012
Thanks, I use widget locker and its home helper seemed to help with the home button unlocking directly to the home screen, but it didn't help with the power amp pro lock screen. I'll give this a try.

Moose1988

Dec 25, 2012
So maybe im not getting this.. but I tried renaming the file so the home buttom wouldn't go back to home.. but its not working. It still takes me to home. I use the home button to unlock and its definitely annoying when it closes whatever im doing and goes back to home screen. Any ideas?

jsadler09

Jan 1, 2012
Did you restart your phone after making the change? After restating my home button would no longer wake the phone.

mzimand

Jan 29, 2010
Once I do this mod it works but now everytime I push the home button, the phone vibrates and makes the touch screen sounds. Anyone know a solution so this one home button does not vibrate or make a sound when pressed besides turning off vibrations and sounds for the whole phone?

Disable lock screen sound in settings/sound

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

lgoldstein

Jan 17, 2013
Cambridge, MN
3b. Alternatively, you can change "WAKE" to "WAKE_DROPPED" if you use the stock lock screen and want your home button *NOT* to send you back to the home screen when you use it to wake. In my opinion Samsung should have defaulted it to WAKE_DROPPED in the first place. For what it's worth, WAKE_DROPPED doesn't seem to have any effect on WidgetLocker. If you use WidgetLocker, I suggest just doing step 3a instead.

I tried this method and all it seemed to do was completely disable the use of my HOME button to wake.

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
I don't use a lock screen, I just have the home button go straight to my home screen but I would love to have the home button do the same thing as the power button.

This mod doesn't do it however, doing the wake_dropped mod doesn't change anything in my system.

morbidz

Apr 2, 2011
I don't use a lock screen, I just have the home button go straight to my home screen but I would love to have the home button do the same thing as the power button.

This mod doesn't do it however, doing the wake_dropped mod doesn't change anything in my system.

Same here :(
6ynu9eqe.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I take no credit for this. Did a Google search and found it on the Sprint Gnote 2 XDA forum. I tried it and it works on our Verizon Gnote phone.

All credit goes to ffolkes:

1. Mount as R/W and open /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl.

2. Scroll to the line that says:
    "key 172 HOME WAKE"

3. Now delete the HOME so it says:
    "key 172"

4. Save it and reboot.

PS: Long hold the file and choose the option "open with text editor".
    Once I do this mod it works but now everytime I push the home button, the phone vibrates and makes the touch screen sounds. Anyone know a solution so this one home button does not vibrate or make a sound when pressed besides turning off vibrations and sounds for the whole phone?